ADVERTISEMENT

Two Different Views Of Human Life

What’s to tell? The Bible makes mention of their existence. It’s not like I believe they’re real either. But the authors thought other tribes had gods other than Yahweh and they thought those gods were real enough to include in the text. You must know the Jews didn’t start out as monotheistic, that was a journey.
WTF man? I expected maybe a quotation with a serious anecdote behind it but you give me this crap? Are you 8 yrs old?

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Dude, this is either some Grade A horsepucky you regurgitated by some farce of a professor you once had or, if by chance part of your own chicanery, a real disaster of understanding told with word salad with diarrhea dressing.

Bravo I guess for the effort. Beginning books, other Gods! Ha! Christ is patterned, promised, and present starting in early Genesis throughout the rest of the Old Testament. I’m sure you know this.

How ridiculous do you feel when royhobbs2 is on your side? Doesn't matter what the subject is...if he agrees with you then you have to do some soul searching.

Reactions: naturalmwa
Was hoping for a real conversation and you let me down with nonsense a child would repeat. I’m feeling frisky tonight and you dealt me a dud, thus the sads I have now :(.
I guess I’m surprised this is needs to be backed up, especially to someone who claims to know the Bible. I mean the first commandment is written in the context of polytheism. There are other gods, but Yahweh wants to be first. Yahweh is jealous because there are other options. Later Yahweh is first in a council of gods. Just google polytheism in the Bible and you’ll find all the info you need.

The Jewish faith didn’t start out as a monotheistic faith. Archeologists find old Jewish temples with a female wife deity being worshipped. None of this should be controversial. Faiths change over time.

Reactions: strummingram
I’m not a fan of the fanatically religious or the intolerant atheists.

In our secular culture, human life is viewed as a
biological fact. We sustain that life by our very
sophisticated technology and advanced medicine.
Our educational and economic systems enable us
to attain material possessions and personal success.

In contrast, there is also the Biblical view of a gracious
and loving God who created us and gives us the
breath of life. God calls us to trust in Him with all our
heart and allow Him to guide our lives. We believe
that everything we have is a gift from God.

One view is secular and one is sacred. How do these
two views of human life clash in our current culture?
I'd say immigration.

Interestingly, Christianity doesn't determine which side of the debate one falls on.

Oh my, it always shocks me how little believers know about their own religion.

source.gif

This is so true and they get upset when you point it out to them.

This thread has been great... so far.

I'm sure that some of the participants are convinced that there's a cavernous pit... somewhere... that's just waiting for the sinners. It's run by the part-goat/part-reptile/part human character known as Satan (a.k.a. Lucifer, the Devil, Beelzebub, Prince of Darkness). Satan is assisted by other lesser creatures/demons who poke the unfortunate sinners with tridents and adjust the flames and thermostat. God wasn't pissed enough that these souls rejected "Him" (always a he), there needs to be a perpetual realm of misery for revenge and eternal "told you so." When you have a God who is that insecure, jealous and HUMAN, you don't even need a Satan. Satan practically sounds like an employee of this whole post-mortem show.

My favorite part is when the religious people include secular scenery to Hell and you get bits and pieces of John Milton's Paradise Lost and Dante's Inferno in addition to the Bible. It's usually due to the Bible being very vague about it and not scary enough.

It never dawns on people that this is a complete fictional story used by the church to maintain control and order. Even when it does, it's still too late.

God had divine foreknowledge of what
would happen to Adam and Eve in the
Garden of Eden. Yet, he gave them
free will to obey or disobey His will. God
did not create puppets and try to pull their
strings. Today, men and women are free
to believe or not believe in God.
Ummm...you can't have free will if your actions are pre-ordained. Your Adam and Eve couldn't have chosen differently or your God would have been wrong.

I missed this post. Apologies. Where is there evidence that they brought sin into the world? Where is there even evidence that sin exists as a real thing outside of theology?

In my view, sin is just a human concept. There could be evidence of when man first thought of it and recorded it. But it doesn’t exist independent of the human mind.

In the original Greek, sin means "to miss the mark."

I guess I’m surprised this is needs to be backed up, especially to someone who claims to know the Bible. I mean the first commandment is written in the context of polytheism. There are other gods, but Yahweh wants to be first. Yahweh is jealous because there are other options. Later Yahweh is first in a council of gods. Just google polytheism in the Bible and you’ll find all the info you need.

The Jewish faith didn’t start out as a monotheistic faith. Archeologists find old Jewish temples with a female wife deity being worshipped. None of this should be controversial. Faiths change over time.

Is not that the whole point of the Bible? The people continually separate from God? There were polytheists back then and there are polytheists still today.

What is fascinating is from the beginning in Genesis, the triune God is described and he outlines His case and methods for salvation. The entire collection has always been about Jesus Christ.

People throughout the centuries got it wrong (and still do), hence reference to polytheism but no where in the Torah is that prescribed of course (and you knew that). You were just trying to make a quick quip to maybe win over the mind of someone else sitting on the fence of all this. Or, Natural being Natural :).

Reactions: LuteHawk
Stop it. Lute needs lots of self-affirmations. You see Lute has his religion tribe thing and his republican tribe thing. These two things frame his identity, which requires lots of upkeep. To feel good about these tribes he needs to find, and often manufacture, reasons to believe less of those not in his tribes.
LOL and YOU and you're pro abortion anti US stand on most everything makes sense?

Reactions: INXS83
It always amazes me how intolerant many of the lefties on this board are towards those with Christian beliefs. Quick with the insults, put-downs, etc.

Bring up Christianity, and they become unhinged.

Why do you suppose that is?

Is not that the whole point of the Bible? The people continually separate from God? There were polytheists back then and there are polytheists still today.

What is fascinating is from the beginning in Genesis, the triune God is described and he outlines His case and methods for salvation. The entire collection has always been about Jesus Christ.

People throughout the centuries got it wrong (and still do), hence reference to polytheism but no where in the Torah is that prescribed of course (and you knew that). You were just trying to make a quick quip to maybe win over the mind of someone else sitting on the fence of all this. Or, Natural being Natural :).
They "got it wrong", huh? Not you, though. You definitely got it right. And, how can you prove, objectively, to the rest of us that you have, in fact, gotten it "right."

In the original Greek, sin means "to miss the mark."
Thank you. You can probably see how that definition doesn’t fit into the context of what Lute wrote. So I’m working under the assumption that Lute’s version of Christianity thinks sin is something tangible. Like the evils contained in Pandora’s box.

It always amazes me how intolerant many of the lefties on this board are towards those with Christian beliefs. Quick with the insults, put-downs, etc.

Bring up Christianity, and they become unhinged.

I'm not left or right but I love to mock Christians, as well as other religions. Go cry about it to your invisible friend.

What’s to tell? The Bible makes mention of their existence. It’s not like I believe they’re real either. But the authors thought other tribes had gods other than Yahweh and they thought those gods were real enough to include in the text. You must know the Jews didn’t start out as monotheistic, that was a journey.

Lol

I'd say immigration.

Interestingly, Christianity doesn't determine which side of the debate one falls on.

Jesus spoke about obeying the laws of the land. He said “give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s” in Mark 12. That was never interpreted to give carte blanche to treat people inhumanely but that was Christ’s way of saying there were human laws to obey and then there was the mission of His Kingdom.

Reactions: INXS83
LOL and YOU and you're pro abortion anti US stand on most everything makes sense?
Link to me being pro abortion or anti-US? You won’t find one because it doesn’t exist. But I understand you need to think of me this way to think better of yourself, and that’s fine.

You could always ask me where I stand on abortion or what are my thoughts and hopes for the US.

The trinity is never mentioned in the Bible. But other gods are presented as real things. Both of those are true statements.

They "got it wrong", huh? Not you, though. You definitely got it right. And, how can you prove, objectively, to the rest of us that you have, in fact, gotten it "right."
I don’t, I’m not perfect, I’ve fallen well short of perfection. I’m a sinner. I need Jesus and I recognize Him as my Lord and Savior. I’m thankful for a God who loves me (and you) enough despite my failures and shortcomings to still offer me His hope for eternity. I’m glad the Bible shows that I’m not alone in history. God had a plan for all of us and this world outlined in the Bible, to defeat that which separates us from God so we can ultimately be with Him. Forever & ever Amen!

Jesus spoke about obeying the laws of the land. He said “give back to Caesar what is Caesar’s” in Mark 12. That was never interpreted to give carte blanche to treat people inhumanely but that was Christ’s way of saying there were human laws to obey and then there was the mission of His Kingdom.
Human laws to access a superhuman "Kingdom?" I can see why you need the alkeehol.

Do you think our current immigration policy is humane?

I don’t, I’m not perfect, I’ve fallen well short of perfection. I’m a sinner. I need Jesus and I recognize Him as my Lord and Savior. I’m thankful for a God who loves me (and you) enough despite my failures and shortcomings to still offer me His hope for eternity. I’m glad the Bible shows that I’m not alone in history. God had a plan for all of us and this world outlined in the Bible, to defeat that which separates us from God so we can ultimately be with Him. Forever & ever Amen!

giphy.gif

Reactions: LuciousBDragon
The trinity is never mentioned in the Bible. But other gods are presented as real things. Both of those are true statements.

So you were taught that all those words in the Bible about:

“God the Father”
“My father”
“I am”
“...the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name”
“Son of Man”

I get you want to argue here but there are hundreds of versus, proper nouns, etc to describe the triune God but you were taught against this? Interesting......

Riiiight. So, you have to frame it within your religious structure and narrative for you to make any sense of it. That's fine, but earlier, you were insisting that others got it wrong and now you admit that you don't know what is right. When you finally get it it right... THEN you can share when others get it wrong.

Reactions: Rudolph
Exactly. If the U.S. just followed the immigration laws already on the books, we would be farther along in vetting and managing the inflow of immigrants than we are. Thanks Congress & Obama.:mad:

Do you think our current immigration policy is humane?

I’d say it is pretty well documented so anyone coming here illegally knows what they are getting themself into. Buyer beware so to speak. Last I checked we still permit legal immigration.

I know where you want to take this conversation of course. In my mind it backs up humanity’s need for God’s presence. We simply cannot figure this out on our own. Any solution will have flaws and problems. Why not address the plight of Central Americans and solve the root cause of the problem down there? That too is horribly complicated. At some point you have to ask when you’ve had enough of trying it the human way and maybe someone else has a better way!

Riiiight. So, you have to frame it within your religious structure and narrative for you to make any sense of it. That's fine, but earlier, you were insisting that others got it wrong and now you admit that you don't know what is right. When you finally get it it right... THEN you can share when others get it wrong.

Well as Natural said, God addressed the polytheists in the Ten Commandments so we can take heart know that yep, some things are just flat out wrong!

Thank you. You can probably see how that definition doesn’t fit into the context of what Lute wrote. So I’m working under the assumption that Lute’s version of Christianity thinks sin is something tangible. Like the evils contained in Pandora’s box.

Oh, I think murder is fairly tangible.

Although if you "miss the mark," you've missed your intended target. ;)

I like Lute, but you already know he and I won't agree on much in the way of theology. Someone brought up the passage of Scripture about God regretting creating human kind. For one, who knows what the original Hebrew meant or actually said. For example, one of The Tolerant Right Folks' favorite verses to condemn people with are the verses on the different sinners out there and that they "will not inherent the kingdom of heaven."

Well, for one, when Jesus spoke of the kingdom of heaven, he was often talking about a different level of consciousness. Second, the original Greek meant "they will not have peace," which is a far cry from they're going to Hell.

Which of course illuminates one of many theological problems with Protestant thinking. One, if the English translation of those verses were accurate, then that completely contradicts the belief that right "believing" is the only thing required to get to heaven. Second, there is a clear and obvious problem with "Scripture alone." Not only is it problematic because poor language translations obfuscate important meanings, it's also problematic because neither the Jews nor Christians for 1,500 years believed in Scripture alone. But all of the sudden a German monk suffering from bipolar depression, who in his aggrieved state believes life on Earth is purgatory, changes nearly 6,000 years of Judeo-Christian tradition.

And if you're wondering, no, I do not believe the Bible is infallible. With that said, I also do not believe it is without merit.

Knowing what someone is going to do ahead of time doesn't mean that person doesn't have the freedom to do it.
Of course it does.

God: You have free will

A&E: ok...we choose to NOT sin

God: Uh...you can't

A&E: What? Why not?

God: Well...because I already know you will

A&E: But we CHOOSE not to

God: Sorry...that's not allowed

A&E: So we really DON'T have free will

God: Sure you do!

A&E: How?

God: I said so! Oh...and AFTER you do the thing I told you not to do but already know you WILL do...I'm gonna get pissed off and curse everything. Cuz...why not?

In our secular culture, human life is viewed as a
biological fact. We sustain that life by our very
sophisticated technology and advanced medicine.
Our educational and economic systems enable us
to attain material possessions and personal success.

In contrast, there is also the Biblical view of a gracious
and loving God who created us and gives us the
breath of life. God calls us to trust in Him with all our
heart and allow Him to guide our lives. We believe
that everything we have is a gift from God.

One view is secular and one is sacred. How do these
two views of human life clash in our current culture?
I'm curious how this works. How does death fit into the view that life is a gift from God? Does death mean that God has revoked his gift?

When my daughter was ill in the hospital, I trusted God (as best a human can do). Then she died. Was it God or biology? I want to believe in God and be a good Christian, but it is very hard to construct logical arguments around everything that happened.

Of course it does.

God: You have free will

A&E: ok...we choose to NOT sin

God: Uh...you can't

A&E: What? Why not?

God: Well...because I already know you will

A&E: But we CHOOSE not to

God: Sorry...that's not allowed

A&E: So we really DON'T have free will

God: Sure you do!

A&E: How?

God: I said so! Oh...and AFTER you do the thing I told you not to do but already know you WILL do...I'm gonna get pissed off and curse everything. Cuz...why not?

Lol. That's pretty obtuse, even for you.

So you were taught that all those words in the Bible about:

“God the Father”
“My father”
“I am”
“...the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name”
“Son of Man”

I get you want to argue here but there are hundreds of versus, proper nouns, etc to describe the triune God but you were taught against this? Interesting......
Point to the word trinity please. The trinity is extra biblical, like purgatory. Early Christians didn’t believe it. Your faith wasn’t revealed in perfect form from some higher power. It evolved over time as humans invented bits and new ideas replaced old, like every other human concept. I agree, that is interesting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT