ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrell Terry offered by Indiana

We mainly need someone who can play tough on-ball defense against the other team's primary ball handler. It is impossible to play good defense without more quickness and aggressiveness on the perimeter. (I am not suggesting that the interior defense is much better, but it would improve just by contesting interior passes and more experience and toughness from the guys we have). Having a true 3 should also help...

We could also use some guys who can penetrate and either finish or hit spot up shooters. We will have better ballhandling with the new guys, but I don't see an on-ball defender. The elephant in the room is how many minutes JBo would continue to get, if we got a top PG.

Reactions: Ihawkhoops
Where you been Kilroy?

I don’t disagree multiple point guards on a team is necessary. I never said anything negative about gesell and Clemmons (note spelling) as players. I do take issue with the thought of once again taking multiple point guards in the same class. Balancing classes and positions hasn’t proven to be a strength of Fran at Iowa.

Wow, Kilroy? That is a low blow. as far as balancing classes, its more about just flat out not recruiting enough quick/athletic guards. Fran overloads on 6'8" 200lb guys.

We mainly need someone who can play tough on-ball defense against the other team's primary ball handler. It is impossible to play good defense without more quickness and aggressiveness on the perimeter. (I am not suggesting that the interior defense is much better, but it would improve just by contesting interior passes and more experience and toughness from the guys we have). Having a true 3 should also help...

We could also use some guys who can penetrate and either finish or hit spot up shooters. We will have better ballhandling with the new guys, but I don't see an on-ball defender. The elephant in the room is how many minutes JBo would continue to get, if we got a top PG.

Your analysis is spot on, but unfortunately will be lost on most in this forum who think that had Williams stayed, Baer not broken a finger and Connor not caught so many tough breaks that the team would have been a lot better. When you are as limited athletically as Iowa is at 1-3, there is no threat to drive and no ability to stop the other team's penetration.

Bohannon has had foot issues the past 2 seasons due in part to logging heavy minutes, but did Fran bring a graduate transfer in to help / provide an insurance policy? Nope. He is good with "his guys". If Bohannon goes down for an extended stretch, we have Connor at PG. Excellent strategy Fran. Don't emulate what better teams are doing across the country, just go full on bunker mentality for next year and offer a bunch of kids in 19 and 20 that won't come here due to the trajectory of the program.

Your analysis is spot on, but unfortunately will be lost on most in this forum who think that had Williams stayed, Baer not broken a finger and Connor not caught so many tough breaks that the team would have been a lot better. When you are as limited athletically as Iowa is at 1-3, there is no threat to drive and no ability to stop the other team's penetration.

Bohannon has had foot issues the past 2 seasons due in part to logging heavy minutes, but did Fran bring a graduate transfer in to help / provide an insurance policy? Nope. He is good with "his guys". If Bohannon goes down for an extended stretch, we have Connor at PG. Excellent strategy Fran. Don't emulate what better teams are doing across the country, just go full on bunker mentality for next year and offer a bunch of kids in 19 and 20 that won't come here due to the trajectory of the program.
Logging heavy minutes? Are you drunk?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT