ADVERTISEMENT

Tyrone Tracy

yOoorF6.jpg

I can’t recall - was there ever any discussion within the Iowa program for him to move to RB, or did that only come about when he went to Purdue?

Edit: I can see him carving out a nice role as maybe a third down or receiving threat out of the backfield role. Good for him!

Good for him. Will be cheering for him in the NFL. If you take off the Black and Gold glasses can you blame him for leaving the absolute shit show that is the I-wa offense?

His regression and drops were actually a very significant part of the offense being so bad so fast in 2021 because he was supposed to be the top receiver after Smith and ISM departed. Eventually Bruce and Johnson had to take his job because he couldn't catch anything anymore. And he went to Purdue, failed as a receiver (in the same offense that everyone praised Charlie Jones in), prompting a last chance move to RB which worked. That said, he's always seemed like a great person, stayed very complimentary of Iowa (wearing both Iowa and Purdue decals in the senior bowl), so I'm glad he'll get a chance.

I can’t recall - was there ever any discussion within the Iowa program for him to move to RB, or did that only come about when he went to Purdue?

Edit: I can see him carving out a nice role as maybe a third down or receiving threat out of the backfield role. Good for him!
I'm pretty sure that was suggested by the Iowa coaches, and he didn't want to go that route.

He had a few games where he blew up. Some of the best stats a Iowa WR has had in a long time

Then just disappeared the following year before transferring.

He was another playmaker that Brian could not figure out how to use once KOK left.

Funny how he still thinks highly of us, maybe you could too?

Reactions: KFsdisciple
His regression and drops were actually a very significant part of the offense being so bad so fast in 2021 because he was supposed to be the top receiver after Smith and ISM departed. Eventually Bruce and Johnson had to take his job because he couldn't catch anything anymore. And he went to Purdue, failed as a receiver (in the same offense that everyone praised Charlie Jones in), prompting a last chance move to RB which worked. That said, he's always seemed like a great person, stayed very complimentary of Iowa (wearing both Iowa and Purdue decals in the senior bowl), so I'm glad he'll get a chance.
This shows just how bad our offensive coaching and talent evaluation was. I have posted here before that our staff spent an entire offseason and an early part of a season thinking he was our top outside receiver, and Charlie Jones was a reserve receiver. Purdue’s staff quickly realized Jones’s ability as a receiver. Then they quickly realized Tracy is a guy you move around(RB, slot) and get the ball in his hands some. Wow, the Purdue staff must have laughing like crazy at our offensive coaches.

Iowa vs USC in the Holiday Bowl, I think he scored our first score on a reverse !! What made that play so special was Tristan Wirfs leading the blocking around the right side and the USC corner was bailing to save his life from Wirfs...funny

Reactions: hawkdave007
Shows how bad the Iowa offense scheme is, does not get many touches at Iowa transfers out and gets drafted, hope the new oc is legit with his playcalling and coaching of the offense.
We're more of a tight end touches program which I'm fine with. The problem is our program isn't sexy enough (our head coach even says so all the time) to keep the Tyrone Tracy's of the world which is the quality of wideouts we need to have in conjunction with our NFL round 1/2 TE's if we want our offense to be more potent.

Great kid, great family and another example of these kids liking ALL of our staff more than some of our fans 🤷‍♂️
Wasn't it his brother who publically railed on Iowa and we weren't using him correctly?

This shows just how bad our offensive coaching and talent evaluation was. I have posted here before that our staff spent an entire offseason and an early part of a season thinking he was our top outside receiver, and Charlie Jones was a reserve receiver. Purdue’s staff quickly realized Jones’s ability as a receiver. Then they quickly realized Tracy is a guy you move around(RB, slot) and get the ball in his hands some. Wow, the Purdue staff must have laughing like crazy at our offensive coaches.
IIRC, Tracy came in as a RB/WR but didn't want to play RB. That worked for us because we had more talent at RB and more need at WR. Note that he played WR at Purdue for a year before switching. It wasn't about our staff being blind or Purdue's being quick. Lots of guys are stubborn about switching positions. AJ Derby comes to mind. Like Tracy, he finally relented as a senior and it paid off.

We're more of a tight end touches program which I'm fine with. The problem is our program isn't sexy enough (our head coach even says so all the time) to keep the Tyrone Tracy's of the world which is the quality of wideouts we need to have in conjunction with our NFL round 1/2 TE's if we want our offense to be more potent.
It would have helped if Tracy had a QB who could have thrown an accurate short swing pass to a RB coming out of the backfield . He wasn’t “misused” and much as his skills were wasted because of a low skilled QB. In the NFL, a RB who can catch a pass is a real asset for most teams.

Reactions: stanzithemanzi12
He loved Iowa so much that he had to leave it.

Same fans illustrating Tracey being thoughtful about his time at Iowa are the ones that rushed to the defense of our laughingstock offensive staff.

Link…..?! Oh you don’t have one, who knew….🙋‍♂️

Reactions: herkhatescy
He loved Iowa so much that he had to leave it.

Same fans illustrating Tracey being thoughtful about his time at Iowa are the ones that rushed to the defense of our laughingstock offensive staff.
This shows what a true f-ing tool you are. You obviously have never met Tyrone Tracy Jr. Quality kid, loved Iowa, loved his former teammates.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT