ADVERTISEMENT

Another Kudo for Hayden Fry.

Hawk68

HR MVP
Oct 1, 2001
I talk to businesspeople around the US who are not necessarily big sport fans who often say they see the Tiger Hawk worn by individuals, on tv etc. I'm sure some of it is due C. Clark, but I believe it is the most recognized sports logo/emblem in America today. I would guess the Michigan football helmet (which is not a true emblem) and the USC trojan would be close seconds.

If I remember correctly, Hayden wanted a better logo for the Iowa football helmets and hired an artist from CR to come up with a design. I believe he wanted to copywrite it and received a large amount of criticism mainly from the university. He ultimately backed off and the school holds the rights which they have used on a number of occasions. I also remember people initially complained that if turned, it looked like Barney Rubble from the Flintstones.

I would be interested in knowing if I missed any logos that are more recognizable and popular.

I talk to businesspeople around the US who are not necessarily big sport fans who often say they see the Tiger Hawk worn by individuals, on tv etc. I'm sure some of it is due C. Clark, but I believe it is the most recognized sports logo/emblem in America today. I would guess the Michigan football helmet (which is not a true emblem) and the USC trojan would be close seconds.

If I remember correctly, Hayden wanted a better logo for the Iowa football helmets and hired an artist from CR to come up with a design. I believe he wanted to copywrite it and received a large amount of criticism mainly from the university. He ultimately backed off and the school holds the rights which they have used on a number of occasions. I also remember people initially complained that if turned, it looked like Barney Rubble from the Flintstones.

I would be interested in knowing if I missed any logos that are more recognizable and popular.
I've heard a story around Clarinda, that it was a Sunderman kid from here who came up with the final logo.....anyone heard about that?

How about these logos? New York Yankees? LA Dodgers? Dallas Cowboys? LV Raiders? Chicago Cubs? Thinking pretty much any big market MLB or NFL team.

-The tiger hawk was a widely recognizable logo long before Caitlin Clark.

-That's always been a bit of a reach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom Paris
How about these logos? New York Yankees? LA Dodgers? Dallas Cowboys? LV Raiders? Chicago Cubs? Thinking pretty much any big market MLB or NFL team.
LA, NY, Chicago are mostly recognized by the letters of the cities they represent, not so much the logo. But I see your point. Cubs have a bear, Raiders a pirate. What's a Yankee or Dodger symbol?

It always puts a smile on my fave when I wear by TigerHawk baseball cap in an airport in another city and someone will call out "Go Hawks".

Love it
As my second wife fell in love with the Hawks (and who wouldn't) she was amazed at how we'd bump into Iowa fans where ever our travels took us. We have yet to take a vacation trip where we didn't bump into Iowa fans. The brand is strong.

You know the logo spells “fry”…. And it doesn’t take myuch imagination to see it…
The logo was pure genius…and imagine John Hayden never worked for Trump!

Very few college logos that are simple and don't involve lettering are as iconic and recognizable as the Tigerhawk. Texas, USC helmet logo, Michigan helmet, Penn St, Clemson and Kansas St. The next level would be more complex logos, such as Florida St helmet, Florida, Arkansas, Boise St, Connecticut and the old Arizona St devil. Probably some good ones from the Div 1 FCS and basketball ranks that I'm not familiar with.

Very few college logos that are simple and don't involve lettering are as iconic and recognizable as the Tigerhawk.
I love the fact Iowa is only one of three schools in the B10 that exclusively uses something other than a letter(s) as it's helmet logo...

Iowa
Michigan State
Michigan

*PSU and OSU are logo-less.
**IL flips between just an
I and spelling out 'Illinois'
***Maryland has a few variations, incursive 'Terps', their state flag motif, and just an M

I love the fact Iowa is only one of three schools in the B10 that exclusively uses something other than a letter(s) as it's helmet logo...

Iowa
Michigan State
Michigan

***Maryland has a few variations, incursive 'Terps', their state flag motif, and just an M
The Goophs throw Goldy on there from time to time (and those ridiculous oars)

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

Iowa
Michigan State
Michigan

MSU occasionally brings back the block “S” helmet which they used during ’83-‘94 and’01-‘02

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye

I believe it was actually Fred Flintstone.

iowa-hawkeyes-logo-totally-looks-like-fred-flintstone

images

As my second wife fell in love with the Hawks (and who wouldn't) she was amazed at how we'd bump into Iowa fans where ever our travels took us. We have yet to take a vacation trip where we didn't bump into Iowa fans. The brand is strong.
Pic of second wife?

Hell, even the first wife?

The legacy of Hayden Fry continues to grow post his death and that’s really great. Was at the football coaches clinic this past weekend and Dan McCarney told the story how they were on a recruiting trip on icy roads in Iowa and Hayden broke the ice and nervousness by saying something a long the lines of You know Mac I always liked you, but all my assistants need to be able to do 3 things. Fight, F***, and hold a light.

A master of psychology he was indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT