ADVERTISEMENT

U of M wrestling under investigation

Police believe Robinson allegedly told some of his players they were being investigated by police and needed to lawyer up.

Beyond that statement by police being completely damning to JRob if true, you don't tell your wrestlers to 'lawyer up' if they were simply users of Xanax. Doesn't make it 100% certain, but it is highly likely that JRob knew a few guys were dealing drugs either before, during, or after his series of meetings/essays. Coverup indeed.

If this did happen and had not been exposed now, and if one of the wrestlers decided to allegedly continue dealing, the risk to MN was great. If one of those pills kills some girl trying to get high, the university is dead because JRob tried to hand out his version of justice rather than use protocol. That's why you have procedures, and why university lawyers don't sleep at night.

I'm guessing you're the parent that blames others for your kids mess up. You quickly called JRob a murderer and forgot about who was really responsible.

Reactions: NYWRESTLER94
New? Where have you been. Should I run through the list of dead celebrities? There's been 170,000 deaths since 1999. It's not new, it's way past that. High school kids have been popping opioids and Xanax for twenty years.
Most Common Drugs Involved in Overdoses. Of the 22,767 deaths relating to pharmaceutical overdose in 2013, 16,235 (71.3%) involved opioid analgesics (also called opioid pain relievers or prescription painkillers), and 6,973 (30.6%) involved benzodiazepines (Xanax).

That's just one year of statistics. That blew my mind. Epidemic is right.

I'm guessing you're the parent that blames others for your kids mess up. You quickly called JRob a murderer and forgot about who was really responsible.
The four wrestlers alleged to have been selling these pills had about 2,500 of them, and selling to to non-wrestlers for $8 a pop. That's $20,000 street value. We aren't talking about stealing mom's bottle from the medicine cabinet here. This was a serious operation. That said, everyone has to take personal responsibility for their actions. Everyone. That includes the dealers, the users, and the coach who tried to give a free pass.

Try to connect the dots. Over 22,000 people died in 2013 alone from prescription drug overdoses. That's not a major problem to you? JRob, as an important figurehead and employee of Minnesota, allegedly gave four drug dealers (yes, that's what they are) a free pass because he thinks like you. No big deal.

Here's a takeaway stat for you. More people died from Xanax-type overdoses in 2013 than they did from cocaine. It is NOT a victimless crime. A lot of people are dying out there. This isn't about wrestling, so open your eyes.

Last edited:
a few months ago jammenz kept bringing up how minny didn't have the legal problems of other program, specifically the hawkeyes, at that time I told him to be careful or karma might pay them a visit. so ps85 I am telling you come down off of your high horse and realize these are college kids and they are going to screw up if you keep hammering on someone else's kids your own may be the next ones in the news.

a few months ago jammenz kept bringing up how minny didn't have the legal problems of other program, specifically the hawkeyes, at that time I told him to be careful or karma might pay them a visit. so ps85 I am telling you come down off of your high horse and realize these are college kids and they are going to screw up if you keep hammering on someone else's kids your own may be the next ones in the news.
what high horse? I am not so married to my alma mater or wrestling in general that I can't see right from wrong. Remember, I come from a school that essentially got the death penalty in part for not following university protocols and calling the police. Where Andrew Long was given a chance at redemption and failed. I would hazard that every D1 wrestling team right now at this moment has someone on or associated with the team doing something morally or legally wrong. So I get it.

... but I don't buy the "don't hammer them, they are just college kids" mantra. Getting drunk every Friday night and doing something stupid is just being a college kid. Even taking the Xanax as a user is just being a college kid I guess. However, dealing drugs is NOT. Maybe that's where we disagree.

This!

Though I note that Jammen has been a stand up guy on this on his boards. Sucks for the Gopher fans. Most troubling from a Gopher fan standpoint - it seems like the younger wrestlers were at the heart of it - those should be your budding leaders.

Will names be given eventually or did I miss them? If the house is cleaned over this I imagine this job will attract some big time coaches.

Reactions: Knight563
Not that the kids should have been selling Xanax or any other prescription drugs, but I find it pretty hypocritical that doctors/pharmacists are able to prescribe that shit like candy. Pain killers/anti-anxiety is so much ****ing money for big pharma.

At the end of the day, like any drug, it's an adult making a decision about what they put into their body. If they were mislead (about what they're consuming) that's straight up criminal, but the drug war in this country and in many countries throughout the world is a ridiculous waste of resources and an infringement on individual liberty.

Right??.... I watch Intervention on television (good show) and a lot of addicts buy Xanax on the streets. I always think to myself "Man, there must be A LOT of people out there in intense pain after selling their prescriptions to some junkie."

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
As a Gopher fan I am truly PO'd at this. Handling an issue as large as this internally with a slap on the hand is NOT the way it should be handled. A slap on the hand does not deter a guy from doing the same exact thing again when they are making $22k in profits. This is a larger issue. I always knew J stood up for his guys, but in this case he needed to stand up for the University that he is representing. I do not want J to have his career end like this, but I don't see him surviving this with a brand new AD starting soon. I truly hope this doesn't effect our ability to recruit, but I would be naïve to think otherwise. Seriously saddened right now.

With new information...I amend my earlier comment. Trouble coming.

Getting worse. JRob collected over a 1,000 pills from wrestlers but didn't say anything according to this. That, and a wrestler is feeding the media.

http://m.startribune.com/source-gop...t-to-handle-xanax-abuse-internally/380899191/
I was hoping Egg would be his successor but this may force the new AD into cleaning house. Any guesses on which top guys would be interested in the job? A lot will depend on how much support the AD gives wrestling. Many of us told PBS that Minn was a train wreck.

I was hoping Egg would be his successor but this may force the new AD into cleaning house. Any guesses on which top guys would be interested in the job? A lot will depend on how much support the AD gives wrestling. Many of us told PBS that Minn was a train wreck.

Metcalf?....can recruit close to Michigan and stays close to Iowa City while his wife finishes up school.

Reactions: Pennstate1985
I.E. Didn't play the necessary ass covering, political game.
Disagree with this attitude. It's not a trite game, it's illegal drug dealing. If you owned a company and had a manager who kept drug dealing a secret and told the employees how to cover it up, would you see it as "only" office politics?

Reactions: brucefan
Metcalf?....can recruit close to Michigan and stays close to Iowa City while his wife finishes up school.
I thought of him yesterday, and for the very reasons you state. He'd bring instant credibility to the recruitment process, and his moral character, which is important after an episode like this, is without question.

Reactions: andegre
J was trying to do the right thing and was doing the right thing in his mind. Even in my eyes, I think he was doing the right thing. But, in today's world, you gotta do everything by the books to protect your but.
Back in the day, I'm sure that's how these things got handled and it worked out fine, but those days are over.
I wonder what compelled this young kid to all of a sudden go to the cops like J was doing something wrong and not him and the kids who were selling the crap ton of Xanax...

85 I am law enforcement 23 years not soft on crime at all, drug dealer is a drug dealer doesn't matter if they are good at wrestling, I do not have a need to make a dozen posts on someone elses board about a third teams misfortunes. while you are looking up statistics look up how many people are killed by drunk drivers.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Sour grapes I am sure. It wasn't out of moral concern I can guarantee you that. Kids aren't like that anymore. He probably was behind one of the wrestlers dealing on the depth chart.

As far as who would be his replacement... I think it needs to be someone from the outside. I wouldn't mind Metcalf, but with no head coaching experience I am not sure that is in the cards. If I had a choice I would steal Schwab away from No. IA. I think he's the real deal and can recruit anywhere. Man it just makes me sick talking about a replacement for J with this being the reason and not on his terms. Such a waste to a career that put MN Wrestling on the map.

85 I am law enforcement 23 years not soft on crime at all, drug dealer is a drug dealer doesn't matter if they are good at wrestling, I do not have a need to make a dozen posts on someone elses board about a third teams misfortunes. while you are looking up statistics look up how many people are killed by drunk drivers.
It's small minded in my eyes to consider someone's opinion based on who they root for. You either agree with the substance of a post or you don't. I just don't get the, "let's put a wall around our board and keep the alien opinions out" attitude. I'd welcome you to our board all day every day, and try to learn something about Iowa through your posts.

As to your question, alcohol related deaths accounted for about 10,000 deaths last year. Xanax class drugs accounted for around 8,000 deaths. No small potatoes for either one.

The four wrestlers alleged to have been selling these pills had about 2,500 of them, and selling to to non-wrestlers for $8 a pop. That's $20,000 street value. We aren't talking about stealing mom's bottle from the medicine cabinet here. This was a serious operation. That said, everyone has to take personal responsibility for their actions. Everyone. That includes the dealers, the users, and the coach who tried to give a free pass.

Try to connect the dots. Over 22,000 people died in 2013 alone from prescription drug overdoses. That's not a major problem to you? JRob, as an important figurehead and employee of Minnesota, allegedly gave four drug dealers (yes, that's what they are) a free pass because he thinks like you. No big deal.

Here's a takeaway stat for you. More people died from Xanax-type overdoses in 2013 than they did from cocaine. It is NOT a victimless crime. A lot of people are dying out there. This isn't about wrestling, so open your eyes.

I heard the story on the radio this morning. The 4 wrestlers got the 2500 pills from a former UM wrestler. They sold them for $8 a pill and each transaction is considered a felony. Jrob did go to school officials, but we don't know how long he waited to tell the school.

I hope Stroker and Early weren't involved. The wrestlers will get a slap on the wrist from LE. I wouldn't want to be that former wrestler or the people who supply the former wrestler. They better be cleaning house.

Love Metcalf but being an HC is like being a CEO, especially at a major program like Minnesota. I'm not sure Brent has the credentials to prove he is fully ready to be the head of a program when he's never been technically an assistant coach. I could be off, but I imagine there would be a big learning curve in hiring Metcalf. Lead assistant maybe.

Love Metcalf but being an HC is like being a CEO, especially at a major program like Minnesota. I'm not sure Brent has the credentials to prove he is fully ready to be the head of a program when he's never been technically an assistant coach. I could be off, but I imagine there would be a big learning curve in hiring Metcalf. Lead assistant maybe.

Not being snarky in the least but, did cael? Wrestling credentials sure. Your talking about management. What did cael have in this CEO area that Brent does not?

Not being snarky in the least but, did cael? Wrestling credentials sure. Your talking about management. What did cael have in this CEO area that Brent does not?

Cael was a special assistant to the AD for two years, assistant for one, assistant head coach for another year, and then HC. That's a lot more administrative background than Brent brings to the table.

I have no doubt in his ability to coach, but it's not the whole story.

You know the name of the wrestler who is leaking or who has had leaked the info is going to be made sometime. Just a messed up situation.

This just is not the way a respected ambassador to our sport should go out. So unfortunate and saddening. I don't know how our program gets through this without 5+ years of below average recruiting and even then can it permanently recover to be back up at the top with the PSU, tOSU, IA, Okie St.'s of the wrestling world? I'm not sure. Sad day in Gopher land.

This just is not the way a respected ambassador to our sport should go out. So unfortunate and saddening. I don't know how our program gets through this without 5+ years of below average recruiting and even then can it permanently recover to be back up at the top with the PSU, tOSU, IA, Okie St.'s of the wrestling world? I'm not sure. Sad day in Gopher land.

Sad day in all our lands.

I was thinking Eggum would be the guy also or maybe Kish. If this job actually came available I think it could attract a Perry or Pritz type.Even most current head coaches would like to have Minnys resources.

Cael was a special assistant to the AD for two years, assistant for one, assistant head coach for another year, and then HC. That's a lot more administrative background than Brent brings to the table.

And he also had Cody.

Fair enough.
I did not know some of that. My understanding from people at ISU was that though he had job titles, his job was on the mat first and foremost. Not much work other than that. But I don't know first hand so would not be fair to comment.

Perfect chance for Pritzlaff or Perry

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT