ADVERTISEMENT

U of M wrestling under investigation

Fair enough.
I did not know some of that. My understanding from people at ISU was that though he had job titles, his job was on the mat first and foremost. Not much work other than that. But I don't know first hand so would not be fair to comment.

Yeah, and I wasn't trying to come at you. I am sure Cody does a lot of the program running heavy lifting for Cael, but for my point Cael didn't come in without some sort of background in the administrative crap that goes with coaching.

Yeah, and I wasn't trying to come at you. I am sure Cody does a lot of the program running heavy lifting for Cael, but for my point Cael didn't come in without some sort of background in the administrative crap that goes with coaching.

Did not feel you were coming at me. I just did not know the details. Did not follow him much but want to be fair. Thanks for the info.

What former gophers are there who they could bring in to coach? Assuming the clear out the whole staff any former MN guys who might be looked at?

I know we all love Brent but the way for a program of Minny's stature to turn the page isn't to hire a guy with no coaching experience or ties to the school. He won't so much as get an interview.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Didn't Ferentz kick a couple FB players off the team about 10 years ago for either using or selling prescription drugs?

What former gophers are there who they could bring in to coach? Assuming the clear out the whole staff any former MN guys who might be looked at?
Marty Morgan would be the fans first choice. All the Gopher assistant coaches will be gone as they are the ones involved in the day to day innerworkings of the team, while J is about as far removed as any head coach could be. Plus, J may have decided to retire when he first found out about the drugs, so he will never release any wrestler names. It looks to me as if J is going out on his own terms, or he would have released the wrestlers names to the campus police.

Marty Morgan would be the fans first choice. All the Gopher assistant coaches will be gone as they are the ones involved in the day to day innerworkings of the team, while J is about as far removed as any head coach could be. Plus, J may have decided to retire when he first found out about the drugs, so he will never release any wrestler names. It looks to me as if J is going out in disgrace, or he would have released the wrestlers names to the campus police.

FIFY

What about Pat Popolizio? He's done a really good job at NC State, but I'd have to think the lure of a major B1G program would be pretty enticing.

Reactions: goiahawkeyes
What about Pat Popolizio? He's done a really good job at NC State, but I'd have to think the lure of a major B1G program would be pretty enticing.
With the class that he just got done recruiting? I don't think so Tim.
Only way I'd even see him consider it is if Gable Stevenson and Roman Bravo Young committ tomorrow.
I like Damian Hahn. Think that'd be a great hire.
I also find it funny that even tho the Gophers hate Iowa, they are throwing around ex Hawks names for their new head coach (Perry, Metcalf)

Marty Morgan would be the fans first choice. All the Gopher assistant coaches will be gone as they are the ones involved in the day to day innerworkings of the team, while J is about as far removed as any head coach could be. Plus, J may have decided to retire when he first found out about the drugs, so he will never release any wrestler names. It looks to me as if J is going out on his own terms, or he would have released the wrestlers names to the campus police.

Cops already would know who's involved...somebody is snitching performing their civic responsibility already. They went to the cops so J didn't need to fall on a sword.

Cops already would know who's involved...somebody is snitching performing their civic responsibility already. They went to the cops so J didn't need to fall on a sword.
It may have been one of the wrestlers that was dealing that snitched. You know the golden rule. First one to the cops gets the best deal, and he may have gotten wind that rumors were flying on campus and the lid was going to pop. In one quote, he says that he knows for a fact that they had about 2,500 pills and knows for a fact that they turned over 1,400 to JRob after dumping the rest in the river. That info likely came from someone in the dorm room the day they decided to ditch the drugs. Unless of course one of the dealers decided to blab to the other wrestlers about what they had done. That seems less likely. Just a thought.

The use of initials was lol worthy. As if giving initials isn't giving away a name. Spies around the world are impressed with that level of code work.
Yeah, sorry about that. It was a F-up, I will self-impose a punishment and stay off of the boards for a while. :oops:

Reactions: Azchief32
I bet nothing happens here.

You know who is following this story? This board and 200 people in Minnesota. Oh, and the 100 visitors on our board from other schools.

I bet nothing happens here.

You know who is following this story? This board and 200 people in Minnesota. Oh, and the 100 visitors on our board from other schools.

Yeah...somehow I don't think that's the standard that will be met for action here. Universities generally don't like their employees condoning felonies.*

* PSU and Baylor excluded

Yeah...somehow I don't think that's the standard that will be met for action here. Universities generally don't like their employees condoning felonies.*

* PSU and Baylor excluded

I hear ya, I just don't think anything will come of this. I know it's SEC, but Butch Jones and his problems faded away and he was dealing with rape charges.

I heard Metcalf is interested if J gets fired though. You want that? Huh? Let's support JRob and his pill poppers.

Bottom line is we don't know what is really going on. Unnamed source for a local paper caught some wind. It is being investigated and in the next few days we will know. It is very possible this is a lot of piss and wind. Also possible it is not at the scale being reported. Jrob is a lot of things but he is not an idiot. I am going to wait for the story to unfold. If he knew and tried to cover it up, fire him. If he acted as reported because he did not know the scope, grace. Too many unknowns here to make a call.

Last edited:
Reactions: TarpHawk
Guys I am talking about at MN. I assumed you could conclude that. I will be more specific next time.

I hear ya, I just don't think anything will come of this. I know it's SEC, but Butch Jones and his problems faded away and he was dealing with rape charges.

I heard Metcalf is interested if J gets fired though. You want that? Huh? Let's support JRob and his pill poppers.

Of course he's interested. It's one of the better jobs out there. He's going to be far down the list of candidates though.

The four wrestlers alleged to have been selling these pills had about 2,500 of them, and selling to to non-wrestlers for $8 a pop. That's $20,000 street value. We aren't talking about stealing mom's bottle from the medicine cabinet here. This was a serious operation. That said, everyone has to take personal responsibility for their actions. Everyone. That includes the dealers, the users, and the coach who tried to give a free pass.

Try to connect the dots. Over 22,000 people died in 2013 alone from prescription drug overdoses. That's not a major problem to you? JRob, as an important figurehead and employee of Minnesota, allegedly gave four drug dealers (yes, that's what they are) a free pass because he thinks like you. No big deal.

Here's a takeaway stat for you. More people died from Xanax-type overdoses in 2013 than they did from cocaine. It is NOT a victimless crime. A lot of people are dying out there. This isn't about wrestling, so open your eyes.

What's your thoughts on Joe Pa? I really don't care about stats as drugs are an individual's choice. Maybe I'm old school but they appear to be spoiled. Parents had their thumbs on them. Get to college and they party like others but with pills. Weed and beer isn't enough for them. They have to post Instagram pics with money, shoes, and other dumbass clothes that they can't afford with out daddy's money. They acted up, probably haven't ever had a situation that they couldn't be bailed out of. JRob tried to be the parent that they should have had in the 1st place. I can't hold him accountable for what our world has come to.

What's your thoughts on Joe Pa? I really don't care about stats as drugs are an individual's choice. Maybe I'm old school but they appear to be spoiled. Parents had their thumbs on them. Get to college and they party like others but with pills. Weed and beer isn't enough for them. They have to post Instagram pics with money, shoes, and other dumbass clothes that they can't afford with out daddy's money. They acted up, probably haven't ever had a situation that they couldn't be bailed out of. JRob tried to be the parent that they should have had in the 1st place. I can't hold him accountable for what our world has come to.

You're right. He's not a parent.

And it ain't the parents fault that he had knowledge of felonies committed by his athletes and covered it up.

Curious about the 'former wrestler' as the supplier as well. Could that be a current coach or one that has been discussed as a possible replacement?

Curious about the 'former wrestler' as the supplier as well. Could that be a current coach or one that has been discussed as a possible replacement?
The only thing on saw on the Guillotine was this (in the main JROb thread):

-------
think it's pretty obvious who the "former teammate" is that these articles are referring to. No longer any traces of them on Instagram or Facebook. There was some especially questionable photos coming out of the Instagram account.

Your guess is as good as mine.

Bottom line is we don't know what is really going on. Unnamed source for a local paper caught some wind. It is being investigated and in the next few days we will know. It is very possible this is a lot of piss and wind. Also possible
It is not at the scale being reported. Jrob is a lot of things but he is not an idiot. I am going to wait for the story to unfold. If he knew and tried to cover it up, fire him. If he acted as reported because he did not know the scope, grace. Too many unknowns here to make a call.

The two bolded sentences are in direct contradiction to each other. If we don't know what's really going on, how do you know it's not as bad as what's being reported?

It was stated there are 2500 pills involved. Makes me wonder if there is a former wrestler who is now a doctor?

The two bolded sentences are in direct contradiction to each other. If we don't know what's really going on, how do you know it's not as bad as what's being reported?

The top bold sentence is my point.
The second is a what if. Notice the "also possible"
I added a couple of examples of the directions it could be. (A line break due to fat thumbs)
We don't know so speculation and trying to figure out names is a bad idea.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT