ADVERTISEMENT

U20 Worlds

Ben loses 4-2.

He really could have won the match. Great gameplan, but needed to follow it up with attacks.
Masoumi is too big and exceptional at controlling spacing with ties and underhooks. You aren’t giving him enough credit. BK never had a chance to get to his offense because Masoumi, except for one brain fart near the end, wrestled a phenomenal match. As good as BK is, Masoumi is simply bigger and better right now.

With time and a bit more size, BK may catch up, but that match was solely about Masoumi winning simply because he is better. Now, BK knows what he is up against and what he needs to improve on to catch up…

Reactions: HawkeyeInKC
Lost 4-2 giving up to much size, had to be 30+ lbs
He was just too much man for Ben. He was surprisingly fast and athletic for a full size heavy. If Ben was 30 lbs heavier without losing too much athleticism, he could beat him. The guy hung on him and wore him out. Ben was very tentative in first period, but don’t blame him. I think Kerk or Paris would have their hands full with this guy. Gives me hope Ben will have very good college season.

He was just too much man for Ben. He was surprisingly fast and athletic for a full size heavy. If Ben was 30 lbs heavier without losing too much athleticism, he could beat him. The guy hung on him and wore him out. Ben was very tentative in first period, but don’t blame him. I think Kerk or Paris would have their hands full with this guy. Gives me hope Ben will have very good college season.
Doesn't the Iranian have a win over Parris already?

Masoumi is too big and exceptional at controlling spacing with ties and underhooks. You aren’t giving him enough credit. BK never had a chance to get to his offense because Masoumi, except for one brain fart near the end, wrestled a phenomenal match. As good as BK is, Masoumi is simply bigger and better right now.

With time and a bit more size, BK may catch up, but that match was solely about Masoumi winning simply because he is better. Now, BK knows what he is up against and what he needs to improve on to catch up…
We need to remember Ben has only been a full time wrestler since this spring. I’m sure this guy has been full time freestyle wrestler most of his life.

Basically Ben had to focus on not letting him get the under hook because when he did he scored. Too much size, strength and leverage for Ben to stop him once he underhooked.

We need to remember Ben has only been a full time wrestler since this spring. I’m sure this guy has been full time freestyle wrestler most of his life.
No doubt. It was in no way a slight to Ben. He is elite. It was solely meant to give Masoumi the credit he deserves. Only losing 4-2 against a guy with that much more size and skill, showed me a ton about how good BK.

Hell, I was super impressed with how well he held the center whenever Mausomi got the hooks in. Most guys end up OB quickly in many of those positions.

BK isn’t far behind and absolutely can jump another level. I just wanted to be clear that wasn’t a loss because BK just didn’t do what he should have done to win. It was a loss because Masoumi is that hard to beat…

I couldn’t have said it better. BK unfortunately was dominated physically

No doubt. It was in no way a slight to Ben. He is elite. It was solely meant to give Masoumi the credit he deserves. Only losing 4-2 against a guy with that much more size and skill, showed me a ton about how good BK.

Hell, I was super impressed with how well he held the center whenever Mausomi got the hooks in. Most guys end up OB quickly in many of those positions.

BK isn’t far behind and absolutely can jump another level. I just wanted to be clear that wasn’t a loss because BK just didn’t do what he should have done to win. It was a loss because Masoumi is that hard to beat…

Yea that’s that guy’s 3rd U20 title plus he has a U23 gold. He would be senior lvl in almost every other country. He doesn’t have to score a lot because he gets his points and stands rooted in the middle. I think the only way to get to him is an ankle pick cause a single or double above the knee just isn’t going to work.

Agree BK didn't have enough horsepower for him but BK has as much if not more skill set. Just unable to attack Mousimi, he was a rock in the center of mat. I think BK would have been teched if he opened up too much against him but also think Mousimi would have been in trouble had he needed to attack more than the under arm tie ups.

Reactions: AtownPoke
My only disappointment is the results of the gold medal matches. US was 1-4 with only one gold. Great job overall though with 9 of 10 medals!
So, even though they definitely won the Team Title, what country actually won the popularity title? I mean, if it applied to Iowa in 2021, shouldn’t it apply to the USA as well?

Just in case you( meaning the collective you that beat the drum concerning the above pretty damn hard) aren’t any good at recognizing sarcasm…

Last edited:
I think BK is going to give Kerk all he wants this year.
How he does on bottom is gonna be the key. Still being a bit undersized, that is the area where my concerns lie. Kerk and Hendrickson are hammers on top. Even a behemoth like Schultz could make being on bottom exceptionally uncomfortable.

I am pretty confident BK can go with anyone on his feet. Let’s hope he has worked hard on bottom and can find the horsepower necessary to minimize the advantage the upperclassmen have developed in that position.

How he does on bottom is gonna be the key. Still being a bit undersized, that is the area where my concerns lie. Kerk and Hendrickson are hammers on top. Even a behemoth like Schultz could make being on bottom exceptionally uncomfortable.

I am pretty confident BK can go with anyone on his feet. Let’s hope he has worked hard on bottom and can find the horsepower necessary to minimize the advantage the upperclassmen have developed in that position.
No way for him to recreate that in practice unfortunately.

No way for him to recreate that in practice unfortunately.
Yeah, that is definitely the drawback of being at the heaviest weight class. You are very limited to the guys at your weight for mat wrestling. Where, at the lighter weights, if you don’t have guys with that top mat wrestling skill set, you can still put the best guy a weight or two above on top of him and it can at least sort of replicate the “feel” of a top hammer and make it that much harder to work to get out…

At least he wrestled Kerkvliet last year, so he already has a pretty good idea what he is up against in that position.

Reactions: acuhawk and el dub
Yeah, that is definitely the drawback of being at the heaviest weight class. You are very limited to the guys at your weight for mat wrestling. Where, at the lighter weights, if you don’t have guys with that top mat wrestling skill set, you can still put the best guy a weight or two above on top of him and it can at least sort of replicate the “feel” of a top hammer and make it that much harder to work to get out…

At least he wrestled Kerkvliet last year, so he already has a pretty good idea what he is up against in that position.

Telford is a big ole boy though. I would assume he's gotten better on top coaching this long.

Reactions: el dub
Telford is a big ole boy though. I would assume he's gotten better on top coaching this long.
No offense to Telford, but he isn’t coming anywhere close to replicating what Kerkvliet or Hendrickson can do on top. Now, that isn’t to say he can’t help Ben improve considerably in that position. Of course he can.

The only real way he is going to get a true feel is to actually wrestle these guys as much as he can before NCAA’s. In the case of Kerkvliet, that should be multiple times. Hopefully they still wrestle OkState with DT taking over and he gets to see Hendrickson before NCAA’s as well…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT