ADVERTISEMENT

Uncalled travels on OSU

Watching the game live I'm thinking, "There's a walk...there's a walk...there's a walk."

Had me curious, so I went back and watched the 30 minute condensed version on YouTube and counted.

6 missed traveling calls by OSU lead to 10 points in regulation.

The game should have never gone to overtime.

Now go back and do the 3-seconds calls that weren't called.

Watching the game live I'm thinking, "There's a walk...there's a walk...there's a walk."

Had me curious, so I went back and watched the 30 minute condensed version on YouTube and counted.

I was thinking this during the game - McMahanon shuffles her feet before dribbling like every time she gets the ball. It seems like a travel could be called on her repeatedly - but it never got called. I don't think I've seen a player get away with that on a consistent basis like she did.

I was thinking this during the game - McMahanon shuffles her feet before dribbling like every time she gets the ball. It seems like a travel could be called on her repeatedly - but it never got called. I don't think I've seen a player get away with that on a consistent basis like she did.

The did finally call it on her in the 4th Q. I can't remember if maybe twice or another player.

Please. I turned the game on for 2 minutes and CC had 2 fouls that didn't get called including a forceful forearm. I'm sure if i went through the game, I could find just as many missed calls on the Hawks.

Please. I turned the game on for 2 minutes and CC had 2 fouls that didn't get called including a forceful forearm. I'm sure if i went through the game, I could find just as many missed calls on the Hawks.
Saw that play. I had it as a defensive foul first and CC clearing herself from the contact.

Got all five. The first one is interpreted incorrectly by the video because he does lift his L forefoot, but if he hadn't, there wasn't a travel.

I believe they called the travel before he got to that point in the first scenario.

I am interested to know where you were seeing travels in the game? In the post?

Are you an official? Not a sarcastic question, just curious.

Got all five. The first one is interpreted incorrectly by the video because he does lift his L forefoot, but if he hadn't, there wasn't a travel.
Exactly what I was thinking. He can't slide both the heel and then the forefoot of the pivot foot. Not sure why/how they missed that.

I believe they called the travel before he got to that point in the first scenario.

I am interested to know where you were seeing travels in the game? In the post?

Are you an official? Not a sarcastic question, just curious.

There were five in the post and one out top. Pretty obvious missed calls (mostly striding and lifting the pivot foot to leave the floor before releasing the ball. An extra step, in essence. Not an official official, but know what traveling is.

McMahon had 3-4 of them. She would jump stop, lift one to establish her pivot foot, step through with the non-pivot foot to the basket, plant that foot and lift her pivot foot before releasing the ball. She would have been fine if she jumped off of two feet and released, but she would lift the pivot first while the stride foot was still on the ground.

Yes, they made the wrong initial call, but then it ended up being right.
So, it was the wrong call?

I'm not trying to argue they didn't miss some calls, obviously all games have that. Fouls, violations, who hit the ball out bounds all get missed.

Bad calls tend to even out over time, if not in one specific game, they do over the course of a season. The officials rarely determine the outcome of the game, that falls on the players.

There were five in the post and one out top. Pretty obvious missed calls (mostly striding and lifting the pivot foot to leave the floor before releasing the ball. An extra step, in essence. Not an official official, but know what traveling is.

McMahon had 3-4 of them. She would jump stop, lift one to establish her pivot foot, step through with the non-pivot foot to the basket, plant that foot and lift her pivot foot before releasing the ball. She would have been fine if she jumped off of two feet and released, but she would lift the pivot first while the stride foot was still on the ground.
Thanks BrewHawk, I appreciate that. I think you are talking about the old 6 on 6 post move, the up and under. I don't think they call that traveling very often. (if I understand your description correctly).

So, it was the wrong call?

I'm not trying to argue they didn't miss some calls, obviously all games have that. Fouls, violations, who hit the ball out bounds all get missed.

Bad calls tend to even out over time, if not in one specific game, they do over the course of a season. The officials rarely determine the outcome of the game, that falls on the players.
I'm talking about your quiz video.

One thing I think most fans can agree on is that women's college basketball is the most poorly officiated sport by a fairly wide margin. There is absolutely no consistency in their calls and it honestly feels like you could grab 3 guys from the old field house pick up days to come in and give you the same quality of officiating you see in prime time WBB games.

At times it's almost comical how awful these people are at their jobs. Any one know what they get paid a game?

Changing pivot feet? It's usually called when it happens if you have competent refs.

She comes to a jump stop and pivots/steps through to the shot. Are you saying it’s not a jump stop? Or that she doesn’t jump stop?

She comes to a jump stop and pivots/steps through to the shot. Are you saying it’s not a jump stop? Or that she doesn’t jump stop?
The right foot is the pivot foot. You can't lift that foot before releasing the ball. She gets an extra step and that is a travel.

One thing I think most fans can agree on is that women's college basketball is the most poorly officiated sport by a fairly wide margin. There is absolutely no consistency in their calls and it honestly feels like you could grab 3 guys from the old field house pick up days to come in and give you the same quality of officiating you see in prime time WBB games.

At times it's almost comical how awful these people are at their jobs. Any one know what they get paid a game?

Yes, yes, yes….and their center travels much underneath!

I have thought to myself that they took 2 steps and I thought you could only take 1. To me, all those jump stop things just look like 2 steps and would be easy to call if they just thought of it that way.

Traveling isn't called like it should be at any level - men, women, or high school. I think most people travel when the "set their feet" outside the 3 point circle. It drives me nuts. You gain an advantage by traveling, call it!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT