ADVERTISEMENT

Uncalled travels on OSU

That might have been me. But, they are both legal
SMH...do you agree that her right foot is the pivot foot and she lifts it to take a step with her left before releasing the ball?

That is traveling.

On a layup, gather 1-2 is not because the second step establishes the pivot. In this case, it's gather, step with the left, establishing the right foot as the pivot. Then the pivot foot lifts to step with the left again without/before shooting the ball.

This is not a difficult concept.

I don't think you understand. She ended the dribble OFF THE FLOOR so when she lands she can determine what her pivot is going to be. The first step is her pivot and 2nd step she goes airborne. The rule from the NBA down to HS is exactly the same on this play/move. A player catches the ball in the air from a pass. If they land on 1 foot that's their pivot. If they land both feet together they can now establish a pivot as the OSU does in this particular play.
...and she lifts the pivot to step on to her left (non-pivot foot) before release.

sorry, just saw this. NO this is a legal play. Again, watch when the dribble ends(brings the ball together with both hands) her feet are off the floor. It's the same thing as if she had received a pass in the air. She then lands and now may pivot and step through.
So she can take 3 steps on the step through? In other words, if a player shuffles their feet and then takes the third step in the act of shooting, that seems like a travel. In another scenario, can I shuffle both feet before the ball hits the ground on a dribble when I take off from a dead start?

SMH...do you agree that her right foot is the pivot foot and she lifts it to take a step with her left before releasing the ball?

That is traveling.

On a layup, gather 1-2 is not because the second step establishes the pivot. In this case, it's gather, step with the left, establishing the right foot as the pivot. Then the pivot foot lifts to step with the left again without/before shooting the ball.

This is not a difficult concept.

We are just going to have to disagree on this one Brew. Life’s full of choices. But that’s what should be great about life. We can choose to disagree and just live and let live.

...and she lifts the pivot to step on to her left (non-pivot foot) before release.
I'm seeing what you are seeing. It seems she shuffles her feet to effectively get a third step. I think that may be part of the reason for the difference of opinion here because it's not easy to see.

I don't think O'Grady is quick on her feet - but she's clearly not expecting the player to be able to get so much distance after establishing her pivot foot/feet. And I think that whatever shuffle McMahon is doing gives her an advantage because it resets where/how she was established.

Reactions: not_mantiteo
I'm seeing what you are seeing. It seems she shuffles her feet to effectively get a third step. I think that may be part of the reason for the difference of opinion here.

I don't think O'Grady is quick on her feet - but she's clearly not expecting the player to be able to get so much distance after establishing her pivot foot/feet. And I think that whatever shuffle McMahon is doing gives her an advantage because it resets where/how she was established.
My overall question on this call is which foot is her pivot foot? If it's the right, she lifts it and comes back down to the ground on her left without/before releasing the ball. That is a travel. If she pivots on her right and then jumps off two feet and releases, then she's fine, but she lifts the pivot foot and contacts the ground before release with the left. Traveling.

McHale's move was different than this one. He was not traveling, often leaving from two feet then releasing.

My overall question on this call is which foot is her pivot foot? If it's the right, she lifts it and comes back down to the ground on her left without/before releasing the ball. That is a travel. If she pivots on her right and then jumps off two feet and releases, then she's fine, but she lifts the pivot foot and contacts the ground before release with the left. Traveling.

McHale's move was different than this one. He was not traveling.
It has to be her right foot.

If this isn't traveling - I most certainly don't understand the rules of basketball.

is there a accurate time in the game you can pt me to so I can look at it?
It would be helpful if you give me the time of game and I'm happy to go back and look. Yes, the LDB and RA were removed from the game. So essentially it's officiated by HS rules. The RA in the men's game is for HELP/secondary defenders only trying to take a charge. 2 things that change are post entry passes or a jumpstop in front of a secondary defender. If either of those occur those defenders now become Primary defenders and the RA is off.

It has to be her right foot.

If this isn't traveling - I most certainly don't understand the rules of basketball.
If we are talking about the play at the 18min mark that someone post above you are not understanding the concept. When the ball is caught in the air or the dribble ends off the ground(which it does) in this case. NO PIVOT FOOT has been established. So the very first step she takes establishes the back foot(right) as the pivot the next step she plants and goes airborne. This is a LEGAL play.

Last edited:
So, lifting your pivot foot to take another step is legal?
again, I'll try and explain this one last time. When you catch the ball on a pass off the floor or as in this case you end your dribble in the air(same thing) you have NOT established a pivot yet. so the following happens 1) you catch land on 1 foot which would then be the pivot or 2) you land both feet together and get to choose with your next step as to what the pivot is....in this case when she lifts her left foot, her right is now the pivot and makes her next step(left foot) and raise to the basket LEGAL giving you the opportunity to shoot or pass

Reactions: WSC72

McHale's move was different than this one. He was not traveling, often leaving from two feet then releasing.
ok...so I throw a pass to you on a fast break at the basket, you catch with your right foot on the floor...are you then allowed to take another with your left and elevate? If the answer is yes, which it is...now apply it to this play

Reactions: WSC72
So she can take 3 steps on the step through? In other words, if a player shuffles their feet and then takes the third step in the act of shooting, that seems like a travel. In another scenario, can I shuffle both feet before the ball hits the ground on a dribble when I take off from a dead start?
no you may not shuffle both until the ball is released. Yes, it happens and yes, it's missed occasionally

sorry, just saw this. NO this is a legal play. Again, watch when the dribble ends(brings the ball together with both hands) her feet are off the floor. It's the same thing as if she had received a pass in the air. She then lands and now may pivot and step through.

my suggestion

legal
Maybe you don't see what I'm pointing out. She establishes her right foot as her pivot foot, and then she lifts it and brings it back down as she begins taking the step (it was a slight shuffle - but the foot leaves the ground). Thus, it is slight, but it effectively gives her a third step as she lifts/slides it to give her a push-off. And she can't lift/drop the pivot foot before releasing the ball.

Now it can be argued she barely lifts her right foot after it's established - and it shouldn't be called. But by the letter of the law - is it not a travel if she shuffles her right (pivot) foot before taking a step off of it?

Maybe you don't see what I'm pointing out. She establishes her right foot as her pivot foot, and then she lifts it and brings it back down as she begins taking the step (it was a slight shuffle - but the foot leaves the ground). Thus, it is slight, but it effectively gives her a third step as she lifts/slides it to give her a push-off. And she can't lift/drop the pivot foot before releasing the ball.

Now it can be argued she barely lifts her right foot after it's established - and it shouldn't be called. But by the letter of the law - is it not a travel if she shuffles her right (pivot) foot before taking a step off of it?
think about it like this? your pivot foot is allowed to move liberally so long as it doesn't go from A to B...so a slight lift for balance or to turn is by the interpretation of the rule. I mentioned to someone else, this is no different than catching a pass on the right, putting your left down and elevating and making a layup....it just looks unusual but that in and of itself doesn't make it illegal

think about it like this? your pivot foot is allowed to move liberally so long as it doesn't go from A to B...so a slight lift for balance or to turn is by the interpretation of the rule. I mentioned to someone else, this is no different than catching a pass on the right, putting your left down and elevating and making a layup....it just looks unusual but that in and of itself doesn't make it illegal
Thanks for the info. I can't believe she can shuffle her feet like that - it seems to give her quite an advantage coming off her jump stop and initial dribble - and I've not noticed others doing it as clearly as she seemed to be. It was clear at times our players weren't ready for it.

Here's what I'll say to any of you. I'm a Hawkeye through/through. I bleed black/gold. My brother was an all Big 10 conf player years ago. I Coached for 30 yrs, started then started officiating and am still working men's college basketball. I train, I evaluate and I assign. I'm here to help. When I see egregious explanations it sometimes prompts responses. If any of you guys want to post a play of any type or ask a question about rules, etc I'm happy to give you an explanation. I can tell you with near 100% certainty that I will recite an interpretation correctly, that doesn't mean of course that we don't miss plays it happens. The games are super fast and unless you're at the D1 level you do not get the benefit of replay. We get that momentary snapshot that we have to process. When a game is done at any level of the NCAA a game report by the crew chief must be filed. That means about our crewmates and anything that went sideways in the game. Film is reviewed by the national coordinators each day, all day. Officials are called when they miss obvious plays and required to give an explanation. Their assignments are totally dependent on these and Coach evals as well. There is no conspiracy for certain teams. Getting rated and advancing is very difficult. There are no more Big 10, ACC, etc assigned officiating staff. These guys get assigned nationwide. Guys on a crew that work Carver will go different directions the next night or night after. Some West Coast, some East some elsewhere. You can laugh all you want but I assure you that these guys are the best. If you saw it from our perspective based on the rules it would give each of you a totally different view. What turns incidental contact into illegal? How do we judge minimal contact based on RSBQ rhythm, speed balance and quickness? Was the contact by a shooter OIC(offense initiated contact) did the defender establish LGP(legal guarding position) then move to maintain? Was an airborne shooter allowed to land naturally without contact? Did gathering a loose ball via a slide on their belly or back legal? when stopped did they turn over, did they sit up? Did the dribble end in the air or on the ground? Did the BHD(ball handler dribbler) create space illegally? So if you're respectful, I will be too
Thanks for the info. I can't believe she can shuffle her feet like that - it seems to give her quite an advantage coming off her jump stop and initial dribble - and I've not noticed others doing it as clearly as she seemed to be. It was clear at times our players weren't ready for it.
you make a great pt. If as officials managing the game we have to determine did that give her enough of an advantage to put the defender at a disadvantage? If the slight shuffle doesn't we let it go.

ok...so I throw a pass to you on a fast break at the basket, you catch with your right foot on the floor...are you then allowed to take another with your left and elevate? If the answer is yes, which it is...now apply it to this play

Yes, because both feet contact the floor, so the left becomes the pivot foot. In the case we're discussing, she makes the right foot the pivot foot and then lifts it, so it's a travel by the letter of the law. You cannot lift your pivot foot while you are in possession of the ball. That is a travel.

Another example. A player catches the ball with both feet on the floor. They pivot around on their right foot and lift their right pivot foot to then stride with the left and then throw a pass. Traveling.

I do appreciate your patience with all of this:cool:

Last edited:
Yes, because both feet contact the floor, so the left becomes the pivot foot. In the case we're discussing, she makes the right foot the pivot foot and then lifts it, so it's a travel by the letter of the law. You cannot lift your pivot foot while you are in possession of the ball. That is a travel.

Another example. A player catches the ball with both feet on the floor. They pivot around on their right foot and lift their right pivot foot to then stride with the left then throw a pass. Traveling.

I do appreciate your patience with all of this

Another example. A player catches the ball with both feet on the floor. They pivot around on their right foot and lift their right pivot foot to then stride with the left and then throw a pass. Traveling.

yes, unless they go airborne off that left:)

not what I asked. Why can't I walk my pivot foot(right) and jump off my left?
So, you have a player catch a pass with two feet set. They establish their pivot foot by moving the other. Then they step onto the non-pivot foot and lift the pivot foot off the ground, placing all of their weight on the-non pivot foot with the pivot foot in the air. As soon as that pivot foot lifts, it's a travel. It doesn't matter what happens after that because the violation has occurred.

So, you have a player catch a pass with two feet set. They establish their pivot foot by moving the other. Then they step onto the non-pivot foot and lift the pivot foot off the ground, placing all of their weight on the-non pivot foot with the pivot foot in the air. As soon as that pivot foot lifts, it's a travel. It doesn't matter what happens after that because the violation has occurred.
if my right foot lifts and my left is still in contact trying to make a pass, yes. If I rock on my pivot then push off and jump off my left...legal

Really, doesn't the concept of a pivot foot lose all meaning if you can just pick it up willy-nilly and hop to another foot to pass or shoot?

Dr. Naismith does not approve!

Reactions: BrewHawk
Changing pivot feet? It's usually called when it happens if you have competent refs.
she didn't change pivot feet. It was a really good step through but she did pick up her left foot ever so slightly and put it back down before the step through. It should have been a travel.

you can lift your pivot foot if making move to the hoop, step through.

I think anymore there is just in general a lack of consensus what constitutes traveling (well, duh).

I saw a YouTube short where an instructor is teaching the up-and-under move to teenagers. He said you can launch from 1 or 2 feet but in high school you're likely (not always) to get called for traveling going off one foot, the step-through foot.

Pivot Foot: Another dimension of the traveling rule is the pivot foot. If a player shifts or moves their established pivot foot, it's deemed a traveling violation.

Slip Foot: If a player stops with the ball but they are in an unstable position and have to take a small step to regain balance, depending on how far the 'slip' is, it will be deemed as a travel violation.

Lifting the pivot foot alone does not constitute a travel; a player may pass, shoot, or request a timeout in that position. It is a travel once the foot is returned to the floor, or if a dribble is started.

I have been a HS basketball coach for 20 years, I hope at one point I had you as an official. Have a great day Tre 12
Thank you sir! I really don't know how you send private messages but if you can...send me one

But lifting it in the air from point A to B is not. You understand how this doesn't make a lot of common sense, right?
Brew...honestly, unless you can provide video of exactly what you are talking about I'm not clear of what you are getting at. Seeing is understanding as what you see may be far different than my observation

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT