ADVERTISEMENT

UNI Open

Ayala looked good against two so-so guys. A little trouble on finishes a couple times, and couldn't get turns, but overall good.

Ybarra is an enigma (some say that's Swahili for turd, but I'm not sure). He got the first takedown in 3 of his matches and was in deep against Rhodes. He could've won this. But he is bad on top, horrid on bottom, doesn't push the pace, and lacks any sense of urgency when he is down by 1 or 2 in the third. He was excellent in high school but didn't make the leap. That may be his epitaph (Latin for thing that cannot be said on a message board).

Ayala looked good against two so-so guys. A little trouble on finishes a couple times, and couldn't get turns, but overall good.

Ybarra is an enigma (some say that's Swahili for turd, but I'm not sure). He got the first takedown in 3 of his matches and was in deep against Rhodes. He could've won this. But he is bad on top, horrid on bottom, doesn't push the pace, and lacks any sense of urgency when he is down by 1 or 2 in the third. He was excellent in high school but didn't make the leap. That may be his epitaph (Latin for thing that cannot be said on a message board).
Yep

Reactions: acehawk
Rathjen looked decent in first two matches before losing to the guy that Cobe majored. He's got good shots but doesn't take enough...too many 30-sec lags between shots, and often relies on re-shots. He really needs work on scrambling, which is where he lost it (and where Cobe is great). I'm sure he wishes he had another 30 sec in that last match. Frustrating.

Huh? 12/16 would be a solid C..
We got work to do. If Block can't hold 141 we have nothing in the works after Woods. Whatever weight Chittum doesn't go is iffy. 197 is iffy and 285 is iffy because we don't know what Kueter will do and secondly he needs to pack on a good bit of weight to be a legit 285. He has a tall frame but is pretty lean.

What I like about Drake and is somewhat unique is that on those unclean finishes, you can see he’s going to secure it and stays in great position the whole time and is never in any danger. I get that could possibly cost him if he needs a TD with short time. Doesn’t seem to have a go to turn but man can he ride. And he’s very active as there as well. I love watching him wrestle.

We got work to do. If Block can't hold 141 we have nothing in the works after Woods. Whatever weight Chittum doesn't go is iffy. 197 is iffy and 285 is iffy because we don't know what Kueter will do and secondly he needs to pack on a good bit of weight to be a legit 285. He has a tall frame but is pretty lean.
Can add 174 to this if Iowa doesn’t land little Ferrari. I think PK is a career 165, and multiple people have said Arnold will be 184. Riggins would need to really improve and put on some quality size to be a good 174.

Can add 174 to this if Iowa doesn’t land little Ferrari. I think PK is a career 165, and multiple people have said Arnold will be 184. Riggins would need to really improve and put on some quality size to be a good 174.
Very true.

I'm viewing matches weight by weight, hence my periodic posts.

I like the way Glazier wrestles generally--he gets after it, his heart is in it, he wants to win. He could've and should've majored his opponent in the semis but shut down and didn't take a shot in the third. Either tweaked something (resulting in FFT in finals) or just protecting a slim lead.

Fourth year in the room, limited matches past two seasons, wrestlestat ranking never better than #67. Not ready to take over for Warner. Just not sure he has the skillset.

One year of football will take care of that.

125 Bracket

Drake Ayala (UI-UNA) major dec. Caleb Fuessley (ISU), 16-6

Drake Ayala (UI-UNA) major dec. Trever Anderson (UNI), 11-3 – First Place

133 Bracket

Jace Rhodes (UI) dec. Cory Land (UNI), 4-0

Julian Farber (UNI) dec. Jace Rhodes (UI), 7-2

Jace Rhodes (UI) dec. Jesse Ybarra (UI), 1-0

Evan Frost (ISU) dec. Jace Rhodes (UI), 8-1 -- Third Place

Julian Farber (UNI) dec. Jesse Ybarra (UI), 8-4

Evan Frost (ISU) dec. Jesse Ybarra, 8-4

Jesse Ybarra (UI) dec. Cory Land (UNI), 12-8

Jace Rhodes (UI) dec. Jesse Ybarra (UI), 1-0 – Fourth Place

157 Bracket

Cam Robinson (ISU-UNA) dec. Carter Martinson (UI), 6-2

Carter Martinson (UI) major dec. Rafael Romero (MIZZOU), 12-2

Carter Martinson (UI) dec. Evan Yant (UNI), 6-3

RJ Weston (UNI) dec. Carter Martinston (UI), 4-0

Caleb Rathjen (UI-UNA) dec. Evan Yant (UNI), 7-3

Caleb Rathjen (UI-UNA) major dec. Isaac Judge (ISU-UNA), 11-3

Jason Kraisser (ISU-UNA) dec. Caleb Rathjen (UI-UNA), 4-2 -- Second Place

174 Bracket

Manny Rojas (ISU-UNA) dec. Jude Link (UI), 3-1

Carson Babcock (UNI) dec. Jude Link (UI), 3-2

197 Bracket

Zach Glazier (UI-UNA) major dec. Adam Ahrendson (UNI), 14-4

Zach Glazier (UI-UNA) dec. Kalob Runyon (UNI), 4-3

Wyatt Voelker (UNI) wins by forfeit over Zach Glazier (UI-UNA) – Second place

285 Bracket

Seth Nitzel (MIZZOU) major dec. Gage Marty (UI), 10-0

Cole Gripka (MIZZOU) dec. Gage Marty (UI), 5-3

Easton Fleshman (UI) def. Chet Buss (UNI), MFF

Bowen McConville (SD State) dec. Easton Fleshman (UI), 6-0

Luke Rasmussen (SD State) dec. Easton Fleshman (UI), 6-0

John Gunderson (UNI) dec. Easton Fleshman (UI), 6-1 – Sixth Place

Reactions: TarpHawk
This is purely a somewhat informed prediction but it wouldn’t shock me to see PK end up at 74 at some point. Riggs at 65.

I'm surprised it's one sided, he held on vs Runyon today and Franklin won by a few points earlier in year. I was hoping to see a comparative vs Voelker but Glazier forfeited.
It’s not like he dominates him but Franklin has a ways to go and I’m just not sure if he’s got “it”. Great kid, awesome family and hope he makes me eat a shit sandwich here. Gimme Wyatt everyday and twice on Sunday. If If anyone would ever listen to me Swiderski and Voelker would’ve been my main targets.

Gimme Wyatt everyday and twice on Sunday. If If anyone would ever listen to me Swiderski and Voelker would’ve been my main targets.
I expected Voelker to win vs Glazier. Glazier looked really promising a couple years ago, great leg shots, tough on top. I don't know what happened there, he just isn't the same and kind of been MIA.

I expected Voelker to win vs Glazier. Glazier looked really promising a couple years ago, great leg shots, tough on top. I don't know what happened there, he just isn't the same and kind of been MIA.
Same thing that happens to half our guys. Collar tie, push, wrestle not to lose, and stall ride.

Reactions: el dub and AFHawk86
A lot of people were high on Ybarra because he was ranked #1 at his weight and won the WHO’s #1 event in Carver. I’m pretty sure his opponent doesn’t even wrestle D1 anymore.

But if you actually watched his wrestling style, he did just enough to win. He was fast and explosive when he wanted to be, but he also did a lot of standing around. I personally thought he was boring to watch. If you don’t have that offensive mindset in high school, you’re doomed at the D1 level.
Boring like hawk wrestlers against Chattanooga tonight. 4 weights without a takedown. Must have been top ten rated opponents??

Reactions: Gobblin
wait a bunch of people in a cesspool are arguing
Mr Hankey Christmas GIF by South Park
over the use of the word turd??

place never ceases to deliver ……. I salute every turd floating around in here!

q3fRzas.jpg

Same thing that happens to half our guys. Collar tie, push, wrestle not to lose, and stall ride.
I was afraid of that. I like to say he's been institutionalized. Skills devolve into the pathetic and boring display of wrestling that we see repeated all over the lineup. If we don't recruit guys that wrestle like that we get them there. Brands might like tough wrestling but he doesn't like scoring, scrambling ability, technique and mat IQ.

This is purely a somewhat informed prediction but it wouldn’t shock me to see PK end up at 74 at some point. Riggs at 65.
If this ends up being the case and Ferrari does indeed commit (fingers crossed), where do you see Angelo fitting in this hypothetical situation? FWIW, he looked very good in the Ironman finals yesterday. Very good in all three positions and can get to his offense when need be.

Boring like hawk wrestlers against Chattanooga tonight. 4 weights without a takedown. Must have been top ten rated opponents??
Six matches without a takedown against ISU, so sadly four against Chattanooga is an improvement.

Reactions: Gobblin
Brands might like tough wrestling but he doesn't like scoring, scrambling ability, technique and mat IQ.
I'm going to go out on a limb here and disagree. I think Brands likes scoring. But I agree that recruiting more dynamic wrestlers (as best we can), and maybe adding coaches/HWC members with a different skillset or ability to teach it would be a wise change. As General Shinseki said, "If you don't like change, you'll like irrelevance even less".

Go Hawks!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT