ADVERTISEMENT

UNI

ih8iast8

HR Heisman
Nov 7, 2011
What happened to UNI this year? Injuries? I honestly barely have enough time to follow the hawks. I know they were very optimistic about this season.

They had a lot of injuries but they weren't going to be very good regardless. Lost a lot after last year

When they are no longer able to play Fball against FBS teams, I predict you'll see the wrestling program get the axe. That Fball team has run the gauntlet year after year to fuel the entire athletic program now that they can't use general funds. It sucks. I went to school there at the end of the Briggs era, he was a blast.

A lot of key injuries - both to probable starters and to top red shirts. They will be better next year.

Originally posted by ih8iast8:
When they are no longer able to play Fball against FBS teams, I predict you'll see the wrestling program get the axe. That Fball team has run the gauntlet year after year to fuel the entire athletic program now that they can't use general funds. It sucks. I went to school there at the end of the Briggs era, he was a blast.
They won't be able to play against FBS teams? Since when? Wrestling has gotten crazy popular at UNI since Schwab's arrival. They have invested a lot in the program and have a great booster club behind them. Wrestling is very safe at UNI right now.

They were hit very hard with injuries this year. They will better next season.

Originally posted by ih8iast8:
Isn't that rule just for Big Ten teams, beginning when the conference schedule goes to 9 games, and not a NCAA rule?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

There wrestling program will be around regardless of what decisions are made by other athletic departments. The financial support, and Schwabs commitment to promoting the program will lead to great things in the future. They have created a 'buzz' for fans across the state IMO.

Originally posted by Chopper25:
What key injuries?
Most notably Levi Wolfensperger. Zach Witte was cutting to 149 and challenging to be the starter and got hurt. Adam Perrin was also hurt. Tragically, freshman heavyweight, Adarios Jones was diagnosed with terminal brain cancer back in November.

Three of the four qualifiers return and Josh Alber will take over at 133. Jared Bartel and Cody Krumwiede will battle to replace Minto at 197. While all will almost certainly redshirt, the have an excellent class coming in.

Wolfensperger left the team, was it due to injury? I've asked this before but no one could answer it. Also what injury did Witte have?

I've always believed Wolfie's exit was injury related. I think Zach's was his shoulder.

That really doesn't answer my question. Everyone is quick to use the key injuries excuse without knowing for sure. I only know usually you don't quit the team because you are injured. Do we really think if Witte really was injured he was ready to make a difference?
UNI came back to reality this year. They lost a good senior class last year like every program does and they are trying to rebuild. Good news for them is they have a very good core of guys coming in. I know they have Thomsen and Lujuan coming in but I'm anxious to see what kind of wrestler Holschlag will be for the Panthers. That kid is one tough dude.

That really doesn't answer my question. Everyone is quick to use the key injuries excuse without knowing for sure. I only know usually you don't quit the team because you are injured. Do we really think if Witte really was injured he was ready to make a difference?
UNI came back to reality this year. They lost a good senior class last year like every program does and they are trying to rebuild. Good news for them is they have a very good core of guys coming in. I know they have Thomsen and Lujuan coming in but I'm anxious to see what kind of wrestler Holschlag will be for the Panthers. That kid is one tough dude.

Maybe you don't usually quit for injury, but I am pretty sure he tore his labrum and that's why he left. He was a R12 as a sophomore so he was very talented.

Cooper Moore had a pretty great tourney making the R12 and he pinned Sulzer. Peters is still an All-American caliber wrestler and Cabell really emerged at heavy.

To add to the injuries, Cody Caldwell is probably a top 20 wrestler and he missed significant chunks of the season. This team was hit hard by injuries.

Well, I know for sure.

Wolfensberger was highly ranked preseason,in the round of 12 two years ago but behind Colon last year. Got hurt this year and was done.

Cody Caldwell was round of 12 last year but tore up his knee this year. He came back but was no where near 100%.

Moore also had an injury (knee?) though was mostly recovered by NCAAs.

Those are significant injuries. They don't have the depth to cover from those at this time. They had a couple of other injuries that hurt them as a dual team but not at the NCAAs level.

Thanks Spooner I'm well aware of Wolfenspergers accolades. Next to Peters he was my favorite DT wrestler. I know who they have and know who they have coming in. They had some big holes and weren't the team they were a year ago. I'm hoping those holes are filled with this good recruiting class.

I'm glad someone could answer those injury speculations. Thank You Spooner you're the man.

This post was edited on 3/22 5:07 PM by Chopper25

Thanks Spooner I'm well aware of Wolfenspergers accolades. Next to Peters he was my favorite DT wrestler. I know who they have and know who they have coming in. They had some big holes and weren't the team they were a year ago. I'm hoping those holes are filled with this good recruiting class.

I'm glad someone could answer those injury speculations. Thank You Spooner you're the man.

This post was edited on 3/22 5:07 PM by Chopper25
If you already knew the answer why did you ask then act like a douche about it when you got an answer?

For those that follow UNI closely, what's happened with Jared Bartel? Coming out of high school I thought he was going to be something special (by that I mean figured he would have at least locked down a spot in the line-up). Maybe I just overrated him but he seemed like a multi-AA to me.

Originally posted by HawkTitan:
For those that follow UNI closely, what's happened with Jared Bartel? Coming out of high school I thought he was going to be something special (by that I mean figured he would have at least locked down a spot in the line-up). Maybe I just overrated him but he seemed like a multi-AA to me.

Was the starter at 197 last season, but was pretty even with Minto last year and this year. Minto was just better. I think he will be a solid contributor next season.

Originally posted by PantherFan79:
There wrestling program will be around regardless of what decisions are made by other athletic departments. The financial support, and Schwabs commitment to promoting the program will lead to great things in the future. They have created a 'buzz' for fans across the state IMO.
That sounds a lot like the thoughts in Omaha before Alberts gutted the program along with football to turn the Mavs into a basketball and hockey powerhouse.

I didn't know the answer about the injury. I heard he quit, but didn't know about the injury. Also I didnt ask for a Levi Wolfensperger bio + past accomplishments I understand how good he was. You at times act like a know it all douche, so I guess that was my way of telling you your an awesome Internet message board poster (obviously know way more about wrestling then anyone I know) and keep up the good work getting your inside scoops.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT