ADVERTISEMENT

Angelo Ferrari

sdvike

HR MVP
Feb 23, 2016
Had a very good interview at state tournament in Texas. The kid is really optimistic and humble. Had good advice for young kids following him. When asked about his plans for college and if he was going to start first year, said Im going to do whatever the coaches want me to do at Iowa.

Had a very good interview at state tournament in Texas. The kid is really optimistic and humble. Had good advice for young kids following him. When asked about his plans for college and if he was going to start first year, said Im going to do whatever the coaches want me to do at Iowa.
Might be the most mature person in the whole family. Look forward to him being a Hawk

Where did you see it?

Reactions: sdvike
Just my opinion but ultimately what happens will come down to a family decision. I see no reason to doubt what he said about his father being his biggest help and influence and that his brothers had alot to do with his development. But sure sounded like he is all in for now.

Let me guess... redshirt?
Tough to be patient but probably the smart thing to do. 2025-2026 is looking like the next window where we could possibly be back on top. Ayala, Caliendo, Arnold, Ferrari and Kueter is a good foundation + hopefully some more blue chippers/transfer portal.

Reactions: honkey69
How will Angelo take being redshirted?
From the video and OP, "When asked about his plans for college and if he was going to start first year, said Im going to do whatever the coaches want me to do at Iowa."
I'm hoping either 165 is still an option or that he can bulk up and be a full strength 184, guessing that's unlikely by next fall though.

From the video and OP, "When asked about his plans for college and if he was going to start first year, said Im going to do whatever the coaches want me to do at Iowa."
I'm hoping either 165 is still an option or that he can bulk up and be a full strength 184, guessing that's unlikely by next fall though.
I know that is what he has said in front of the camera. From what I was told from others, he won't be here the following year if redshirted.

I know that is what he has said in front of the camera. From what I was told from others, he won't be here the following year if redshirted.
Assuming that is true, and I have my doubts, he better be able to beat Caliendo, Arnold, Kennedy or bulk up to 184 and beat the options there. I don't see him beating our current 65 and 74 options, at least not immediately.

Need Brands or Glazier at 184 next season! Arnold at 174, Kennedy/Caliendo at 165-157(?) or smaller Ferrari at 157. AJ at 197 and BIG Ben at Heavy. That would put our TOP 1/2 of line up where it needs to be!!

Reactions: Bobhaywood
If Nelson is really coming back, then I love the idea of him at 184 to allow Angelo a chance to grow into a real 184.

165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands

with PK competing at whichever weight he chooses (or, to honor the forum pipedream, cuts to 157).

Assuming that is true, and I have my doubts, he better be able to beat Caliendo, Arnold, Kennedy or bulk up to 184 and beat the options there. I don't see him beating our current 65 and 74 options, at least not immediately.
If Brands comes back, which some in the know seem to think may happen, that would make things interesting. MC, GA, PK, NB, and AF (if no RS) would all be battling for 3 spots unless one can make 157. Any combination of those 5 filling out 157-184 would make for a very salty lineup. Throw in Glazier coming back at 197 (I don't think AJ ends up wrestling) and I think you have 5 top 4 guys at 157-197 with an odd man out yet. Sounds great to me.

We will be set at 165 for next 2 years. Plus that won’t be a comfortable cut in a few years. He mentioned in an interview on Bickley wrestling that he doesn’t like to do significant cuts. Did it for Fargo one year, had no energy and said he’d never do it again. Said 165 was doable cut this year for iron man, but I think he’s only 17, probably has some puberty yet to go through.

We will be set at 165 for next 2 years. Plus that won’t be a comfortable cut in a few years. He mentioned in an interview on Bickley wrestling that he doesn’t like to do significant cuts. Did it for Fargo one year, had no energy and said he’d never do it again. Said 165 was doable cut this year for iron man, but I think he’s only 17, probably has some puberty yet to go through.
I'm not as excited about 65 as I was a few weeks ago, but if it's not realistic for Angelo then let's get him on the psu treigning lab plan and bulk his ass up to be a monster 84 next year.

Tough to be patient but probably the smart thing to do. 2025-2026 is looking like the next window where we could possibly be back on top. Ayala, Caliendo, Arnold, Ferrari and Kueter is a good foundation + hopefully some more blue chippers/transfer portal.
24/25 - Cruz 25, Ayala 33 , 141?, Rathjen/Block/Voinivich 49, Ferrari/Siebrecht 57, Caliendo/Arnold/Kennedy (best 2 at 65/74), Ferrari 84, Ferrari/Glazier(97), Keuter.

25/26 - Cruz/Laduca 25, Ayala 33 , 141?, Rathjen/Block/Voinivich 49, Ferrari 57, Caliendo/Arnold/Kennedy (best 2 at 65/74), Ferrari 84, Ferrari/Franklin(97), Keuter. This lineup is really good.

We need a 141 recruit, Blaze would be nice. :)

If Brands comes back, which some in the know seem to think may happen, that would make things interesting. MC, GA, PK, NB, and AF (if no RS) would all be battling for 3 spots unless one can make 157. Any combination of those 5 filling out 157-184 would make for a very salty lineup. Throw in Glazier coming back at 197 (I don't think AJ ends up wrestling) and I think you have 5 top 4 guys at 157-197 with an odd man out yet. Sounds great to me.
Don’t buy into the, “some in the know crap”. Anyone can guess.

Reactions: kkhawk
Yeah. that doesn't even make sense. These discussions don't just happen in a vacuum. Right now, he's not big enough to be a 184, so I'm sure he knows exactly where he stands in the hierarchy.

If he leaves after a redshirt season - it WON'T be because he was redshirted against his wishes.

If Nelson is really coming back, then I love the idea of him at 184 to allow Angelo a chance to grow into a real 184.

165 - Caliendo
174 - Arnold
184 - Brands

with PK competing at whichever weight he chooses (or, to honor the forum pipedream, cuts to 157).
I recall Kaleb Young being a natural 165 who attempted to compete at 174, but was beat out. He had to soul search and make the brutal cut down to 157. He had one great year. I’m not sure if PK can do it physically but mentally he appears to be cut from the same cloth as Kaleb.

I recall Kaleb Young being a natural 165 who attempted to compete at 174, but was beat out. He had to soul search and make the brutal cut down to 157. He had one great year. I’m not sure if PK can do it physically but mentally he appears to be cut from the same cloth as Kaleb.
Agreed, both mentally strong individuals with high goals and looking to help the team however they can. PK is shorter structure than Young, but stocky. If it doesn’t hinder him too much physically I’d like to see it happen

Reactions: so cal hawkfan

If he wasn’t trying to come back next year he would have been honored at senior day.

Yeah. that doesn't even make sense. These discussions don't just happen in a vacuum. Right now, he's not big enough to be a 184, so I'm sure he knows exactly where he stands in the hierarchy.

If he leaves after a redshirt season - it WON'T be because he was redshirted against his wishes.

How do you know what he weighs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT