ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: My Nurse Sister in Law went into anaphylactic shock this morning during vaccination

I would hope that everyone knows there is ALWAYS risk associated with ANY vaccine. There's a reason folks get asked, "are you allergic to eggs" before getting poked. Fortunately, in nearly all cases, these adverse reactions are rare.

In simpler words, $hit happens that is categorized as out of the norm/ordinary. Last year 7-year-old girl died just one minute into a routine tonsillectomy. That shouldn't sway people to not get a tonsillectomy if medically necessary.
Bad example. There is a risk from the vaccine that has to be weighed against the risks associated with the virus. Taking the vaccine is a choice. Getting the virus is probably inevitable, but even if caught, the health risks depend on several factors.

There is a reason why everyone has to wait at least 15 minutes after getting jabbed. Fortunately we found this out early, and people are able to get treated if they have a severe reaction.

It's not just sh!t happens if the sh!t is happening to you.

My point is, it's not realistic for people to insist 100% of people should be taking the vaccine when there are known issues that affect those people. I had to make that choice, and got lucky. I know how it feels to make that choice.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
No one is asking anyone to change the rules. Not me and not her. She took the shot and voluntarily went into anaphylactic shock so she could continue to help people. I'd say that's exactly the type of person cut out for that job. She's been there for 22 years. Is in charge of the cancer ward. To your logic, anyone who has a reaction to a mandated injection is "not cut out" for whatever job they have. Odd take.

She had a tough choice to make and she made it. To your point above, if I were in the hospital being treated for cancer, I'd want her on my team. Please give her thanks and well wishes for a speedy recovery from this anonymous internet stranger.

I can see both sides of this for this particular instance. But I can’t see her being able to work with cancer patients unvaccinated. Even though she is quite likely an outstanding caregiver. They are among the most vulnerable and every risk needs to be mitigated. I’m sure she knows that as well since she took the shot. I hope she and her doctor have determined the ingredient she is allergic to. I can’t imagine why she wouldn’t have with this severe of a reaction.

Then it would happen before the injection. Not after.
Wrong. As someone that is also a massive baby when it comes to needles, any time I've passed out with a shot was afterwards. I then wake up and apologize to the nurses and go about my day. I dont go crying that I need an epi pen available whenever I get a shot because I know its a mental thing. Highly doubtful she is going into anaphylaxis with every shot, that points to her being a baby about needles and not being smart enough to realize it.

Reactions: Slappy Pappy
I can see both sides of this for this particular instance. But I can’t see her being able to work with cancer patients unvaccinated. Even though she is quite likely an outstanding caregiver. They are among the most vulnerable and every risk needs to be mitigated. I’m sure she knows that as well since she took the shot. I hope she and her doctor have determined the ingredient she is allergic to. I can’t imagine why she wouldn’t have with this severe of a reaction.
Exactly how I feel.

Really unfortunate reaction that she has to vaccines. However, we must ensure vulnerable patients are properly taken care of and that includes all vaccinated medical staff imo.

1 in 800 according to Web MD. And that's if she gets it at all. Odds go way up when you factor in that she has to actually catch it,

It's endemic. We will ALL catch it sooner or later.

And 1 in 800 is not correct; overall in that age group from CDC is 1 in 270. Maybe she has zero co-morbidities and their numbers are reflecting that. But those odds are still much worse than dying from anaphylaxis when you have adequate onsite treatment. That's been fully treatable for decades.

"She's 44? Well...the stats for those from 44 to 86 are pretty bad."
I gave you the 1 in 270 number for the 40-49 age group.

That is off CDC's page, although from a few weeks ago. I don't think that number has changed much. But I can see the risk being lower w/o any co-morbidities.

Have they IDed what's causing the reaction? Just seems strange that all those different vaccines cause it. There has to be a common denominator.
The common denominator? That would be her immune system - unique among 8 billion others around the world - saying “please stop doing that.”

If this is the case then why does it matter if this nurse gets vaccinated? The cancer patients will ALL catch it regardless.
Maybe they'll catch it AFTER they've completed treatment and can be fully vaccinated.

Why not just ask a paramedic to be near by. Those folks probably get a lot more practice with the pens than doctors.

We did initially. For hours and hours. It happens so rarely and there’s been so many clinics we have gone away from it. Assuming the vaccination clinic is staffed with nurses anaphylaxis should be something they can handle pretty easily until paramedics can get there.

Reactions: UKGrad93
Maybe they'll catch it AFTER they've completed treatment and can be fully vaccinated.
The FDA has already approved Covid19 vaccinations for cancer patients. They've even approved a third booster shot for them. There is just a few scenarios where they're recommended to not get it.

Wrong. As someone that is also a massive baby when it comes to needles, any time I've passed out with a shot was afterwards. I then wake up and apologize to the nurses and go about my day. I dont go crying that I need an epi pen available whenever I get a shot because I know its a mental thing. Highly doubtful she is going into anaphylaxis with every shot, that points to her being a baby about needles and not being smart enough to realize it.
So because this is how it happens to you it has to be the only scenario for what happens to her. Thanks for clearing that up for us.

The common denominator? That would be her immune system - unique among 8 billion others around the world - saying “please stop doing that.”
LOL...her immune system would have to be reacting to SOMETHING, you know. Unless the reaction is simple anxiety producing a panic attack.

Yeah...and for some reason the three or four times a year she gives blood, she's just super tough.

Reactions: TJ8869
Im surprised they didn’t ask her to take some Benadryl an hour or so before the injection. That would have almost certainly blunted or eliminated the anaphylaxis.
From a study to determine second dose tolerance among those who reacted adversely to the first shots of both Moderna and Pfizer:

Results

There were 189 patients who participated in this study (mean [SD] age, 43 (14) years; 163 women [86%]) (Table). Of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine first-dose reactions evaluated, 130 (69%) were to Moderna and 59 (31%) to Pfizer-BioNTech. The most frequently reported first-dose reactions were flushing or erythema (53 [28%]), dizziness or lightheadedness (49 [26%]), tingling (46 [24%]), throat tightness (41 [22%]), hives (39 [21%]), and wheezing or shortness of breath (39 [21%]). Thirty-two (17%) met anaphylaxis criteria.

A total of 159 patients (84%) received a second dose. Antihistamine premedication before the second dose was given in 47 patients (30%). All 159 patients, including 19 individuals with first-dose anaphylaxis, tolerated the second dose. Thirty-two (20%) reported immediate and potentially allergic symptoms that were associated with the second dose that were self-limited, mild, and/or resolved with antihistamines alone.

Discussion

This multisite US study supports the safety of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine second dose administration in patients who report immediate and potentially allergic reactions after the first dose. Although mild symptoms were reported in 20% of patients with second dose administration, all patients who received a second dose safely completed their vaccination series and could use mRNA COVID-19 vaccines in the future when indicated. Second dose tolerance following reactions to the first dose argues that either many of these initial reactions are not all truly allergic reactions, or supports an allergic, but non–immunoglobulin E–mediated mechanism in which symptoms can typically be abated with premedications.6

Reactions: Joes Place
The FDA has already approved Covid19 vaccinations for cancer patients.

Certain cancer patients and transplant patients are currently undergoing treatments with immunosuppressants. Those PREVENT any vaccine from working or benefitting them and leave them vulnerable to Covid during treatment.

They can be vaccinated LATER once they recover from cancer and their treatments.

Get it?

From a study to determine second dose tolerance among those who reacted adversely to the first shots of both Moderna and Pfizer:

Results

There were 189 patients who participated in this study (mean [SD] age, 43 (14) years; 163 women [86%]) (Table). Of the mRNA COVID-19 vaccine first-dose reactions evaluated, 130 (69%) were to Moderna and 59 (31%) to Pfizer-BioNTech. The most frequently reported first-dose reactions were flushing or erythema (53 [28%]), dizziness or lightheadedness (49 [26%]), tingling (46 [24%]), throat tightness (41 [22%]), hives (39 [21%]), and wheezing or shortness of breath (39 [21%]). Thirty-two (17%) met anaphylaxis criteria.

A total of 159 patients (84%) received a second dose. Antihistamine premedication before the second dose was given in 47 patients (30%). All 159 patients, including 19 individuals with first-dose anaphylaxis, tolerated the second dose. Thirty-two (20%) reported immediate and potentially allergic symptoms that were associated with the second dose that were self-limited, mild, and/or resolved with antihistamines alone.

Discussion

This multisite US study supports the safety of Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna vaccine second dose administration in patients who report immediate and potentially allergic reactions after the first dose. Although mild symptoms were reported in 20% of patients with second dose administration, all patients who received a second dose safely completed their vaccination series and could use mRNA COVID-19 vaccines in the future when indicated. Second dose tolerance following reactions to the first dose argues that either many of these initial reactions are not all truly allergic reactions, or supports an allergic, but non–immunoglobulin E–mediated mechanism in which symptoms can typically be abated with premedications.6

#SCIENCE

Certain cancer patients and transplant patients are currently undergoing treatments with immunosuppressants. Those PREVENT any vaccine from working or benefitting them and leave them vulnerable to Covid during treatment.

They can be vaccinated LATER once they recover from cancer and their treatments.

Get it?
Yeah, you should have got it that I noted that already.

If it was just for one shot, sure she might have an allergy. Since its with all shots, it's definitely a mental thing.
Except it's not with all shots. Just the ones that send her into anaphylactic shock, due to an allergen messing with her histamines. Medical shit.

Except it's not with all shots. Just the ones that send her into anaphylactic shock, due to an allergen messing with her histamines. Medical shit.
Well she should activate her mast cells and get her natural antihistamines rolling. Guys can do this by itching your balls, females idk since they don't have balls. #scratchyourballs #iceyourballs

LOL...her immune system would have to be reacting to SOMETHING, you know. Unless the reaction is simple anxiety producing a panic attack.
Well no shit, Sherlock. Yep, there’s def “something.”

Looks like there’s three options. 1) Ask Big Pharma to come up with ‘green’ vaccines by removal of all adjuvants, and that ain’t happening.

2) Grant an exemption...for obvious reasons.

3) Continue to force people to undergo severe, life-threatening allergic reactions in order to allow them to keep their job. And allow their employer to keep signaling virtuously that they’re doing everything in their power to keep us all safe.

Gee, I wonder which option will win?

Why not just ask a paramedic to be near by. Those folks probably get a lot more practice with the pens than doctors.
One does not need to be ‘practiced’ with the pens. They are auto injectors.

You need a doctor by to order the medication and treatment. On the street, the paramedic is providing the medicine under a protocolized treatment set that is agreed to by a doctor providing medical control for a paramedic.

If a patient is in true anaphylactic shock you actually need, you know, a doctor to help guide treatment. Not sure your implication here but last I checked we still actually need a prescriber for medication.

FTR I value everything a paramedic does but let’s be clear on what’s necessary and what isn’t.

Yeah...and for some reason the three or four times a year she gives blood, she's just super tough.
I've donated blood many times. You definitely feel that needle. I literally didn't even feel the COVID needles. Hell, just getting your fingertip pricked so they can check your iron level and blood type hurts more than the COVID shots.

Bad example. There is a risk from the vaccine that has to be weighed against the risks associated with the virus. Taking the vaccine is a choice. Getting the virus is probably inevitable, but even if caught, the health risks depend on several factors.

There is a reason why everyone has to wait at least 15 minutes after getting jabbed. Fortunately we found this out early, and people are able to get treated if they have a severe reaction.

It's not just sh!t happens if the sh!t is happening to you.

My point is, it's not realistic for people to insist 100% of people should be taking the vaccine when there are known issues that affect those people. I had to make that choice, and got lucky. I know how it feels to make that choice.
I agree with this. If someone’s Doctor is advising against someone from getting the vaccine for medical reasons then they shouldn’t have to.

You need a doctor by to order the medication and treatment. On the street, the paramedic is providing the medicine under a protocolized treatment set that is agreed to by a doctor providing medical control for a paramedic.

If a patient is in true anaphylactic shock you actually need, you know, a doctor to help guide treatment. Not sure your implication here but last I checked we still actually need a prescriber for medication.

FTR I value everything a paramedic does but let’s be clear on what’s necessary and what isn’t.
Psssst the subject of OPs post isn't actually going into anaphylaxis

If a paramedic has treatment protocols why would you need a doctor for initial management of anaphylaxis?

This is the same at vaccination centers.

And, as I've stated several times, if you are someone who has had bad responses to vaccines in the past, you should get them in your PCPs office or where there's an urgent care facility in the building. That is simply common sense, and what your PCP would probably recommend, anyway.

Reactions: haw-key
If a paramedic has treatment protocols why would you need a doctor for initial management of anaphylaxis?
If I had a history of anaphylaxis, particularly anaphylactic shock, and I was gonna receive a medication again that previously caused it, I would want it where there was a doctor trained in management of the entire condition. Not just a paramedic that could give Epi. I’d want it where I could receive awake/fiber optic intubation if needed, a surgical airway if needed, pressor support if needed. And all the requisite meds readily available

Sorry, I really love EMS but a paramedic wouldn’t cut it if this were my family member. In this particular instance. Like the poster suggested. Just having a paramedic standing by because they have more experience with an EpiPen as the poster suggested.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT