ADVERTISEMENT

Updated Vacation Destination Thread

praguehawk

HR MVP
Aug 1, 2003
It's the middle of winter and thoughts turn to vacations in warm spots next year. Personally thinking about a short 3 or 4 night trip in June to an all-exclusive type place within a few hour flight. What has been recent experience with the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, etc? We did Tulum last year and enjoyed it, but that's a longer travel day. @3boysmom what's hot and what's not? You've provided great insight to this board in the past on this topic.

Go Hawks!

It's the middle of winter and thoughts turn to vacations in warm spots next year. Personally thinking about a short 3 or 4 night trip in June to an all-exclusive type place within a few hour flight. What has been recent experience with the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, etc? We did Tulum last year and enjoyed it, but that's a longer travel day. @3boysmom what's hot and what's not? You've provided great insight to this board in the past on this topic.

Go Hawks!
If you go anywhere near the Caribbean from June to October, get trip insurance and stay at a place not having a tight cancelation policy. Hurricane season officially starts June 1.

Jan 20 - Weekend in NYC (Attending SNL!! Queue the SNL sucks comments)

Feb 24 - 4 days in Miami for South Beach Food + Wine Fest

November - 10 days in Hawaii, stopping in LA on way home for Iowa @ UCLA.

Will get away at least once but maybe twice in the summer.

If you are going to an all inclusive resort, the physical location doesn’t really matter as long as the temperatures are warm.

Most people just stay on the grounds, eating food, and getting drunk in sand that was shipped from somewhere else. Which island you’re on makes very little difference in that case.

The biggest problem with the Caribbean right now is the Sargussum, which can come in and completely ruin the trip. That is, unless you don’t care about the beach.

We now go to Aruba, as it is mainly outside of the Sargussum zone. It’s also clean, easy to navigate, and has great beaches.

If you are going to an all inclusive resort, the physical location doesn’t really matter as long as the temperatures are warm.

Most people just stay on the grounds, eating food, and getting drunk in sand that was shipped from somewhere else. Which island you’re on makes very little difference in that case.
We actually do like the beach component and I don't drink, so that's less important. It's actually why we chose the resort we did in Tulum, was supposed to be the one place there that had a decent beach. It was okay, but huge pile of seaweed to step over. Quality of food is a big deal. I agree with your sentiment for most people.

March - Long weekend in San Antonio with my son to watch the Grizzlies play the Spurs (ugh)
May - Shaky Knees music festival in Atlanta + New England for my BIL's Navy retirement
August - Week in the Keys
October - Long weekend in a cabin at Fall Creek Falls State Park

Looking for one more 4-5 day trip. Any suggestions in the continental US?

Reactions: praguehawk

Go Hawks!
Puerto Rico is so easy and nice. A+ food and culture, short flight, easy to get around.

Looking at a backroads cycling trip in late summer/early fall in Spain or Austria, or Alaska in mid summer.

A buddy is currently up in Lake Placid, and it reminded me how much I want to go back there with my family for a winter trip some time. A truly special place - very good downhill and Xc skiiing, skate on the olympic oval, toboggan onto, or take a miles long lap around, mirror lake, visit the 80 rink and the ski jumping facility, cocoa. And very reasonable. It's like a time warp where little has changed since the olympics

The biggest problem with the Caribbean right now is the Sargussum, which can come in and completely ruin the trip. That is, unless you don’t care about the beach.

We now go to Aruba, as it is mainly outside of the Sargussum zone. It’s also clean, easy to navigate, and has great beaches.
Where do you stay when there? Its on my radar

Go Hawks!
I would think there would be a longer travel day in the Bahamas or Jamaica than Cancun/Playa. Many more flights and abundant transportation in Cancun. In the Bahamas, there are not that many flights unless you are staying on Nassau. In Jamaica, there was a 1.5 to 2 hour bus ride to Negril once we landed at the airport. Flights to Jamaica and Eleuthera were significantly more expensive than flying into Cancun. Personally, if I was planning a trip during the summer, I would think about somewhere on Lake Michigan up in Michigan...

Reactions: luvmyhawks and GES4
How did you like Acadia? We are heading out there in July this year.

Its great. One word of advice; Like 80% of the people there are clustered around Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mountain. If you go to the other island and parts of the park there are a lot less people.

Reactions: cheeselog8
Dang, does no one go to Europe anymore?
2 kids under 2 :(

Did a 16/17 day trip to Europe or Asia 5 straight years before the pandemic. Well be stuck to domestic for a little while I’m afraid. When we have been able to sneak away it’s only been domestic for a few nights here or there.

Current plans:

February: solo Grand Canyon hiking trip (rim to rim to rim)
June: Family vacation to Tuscany and Rome
September: Bay Area with no pic
September: No pic and I headed to Portugal
October: 24th annual guys weekend trip to Iowa City

I will try to sneak in a few other 3-4 day hiking trips this year as well.

OP wish I could give you advice, but after trying a couple all inclusives we realized we don’t personally get value out of the inclusive part.

Its great. One word of advice; Like 80% of the people there are clustered around Bar Harbor and Cadillac Mountain. If you go to the other island and parts of the park there are a lot less people.
my son was at an aero conference up there this past summer, and also took a solo side trip to some state park where he camped out one night. JR, is it Acadia that has the old train engines in it, or is that a state park? some of the pics of those he sent were really cool.

We are going in December 24, not sure where yet but we are going somewhere over there.
If you are going in December, look into some of the Christmas markets. We did Colmar, Strasbourg, and Montreux this past December and it was festive and fun. Been to Salzburg and Munich that time of year too. Great vibes.

Reactions: JRHawk2003
March - Long weekend in San Antonio with my son to watch the Grizzlies play the Spurs (ugh)
May - Shaky Knees music festival in Atlanta + New England for my BIL's Navy retirement
August - Week in the Keys
October - Long weekend in a cabin at Fall Creek Falls State Park

Looking for one more 4-5 day trip. Any suggestions in the continental US?
What time of year? Looking for something in a big city? Or something different?

Looks like you already have October travel, but we loved the Balloon Fiesta in Albuquerque a few years ago. Paired with Santa Fe and that was a great trip.

Some others we did recently:

Detroit/Cleveland - mostly for baseball games but also did Rock Roll HOF, had some great meals, and was great fun.

Burlington VT - great town for 3-4 days. So many places to visit around there.

Philadelphia down to Cape May

Going to Cancun in February via @3boysmom. Look forward to being murdered by cartels. Really want to go to Tulum, but for a short trip I want to be as close to the airport as possible.

Reactions: 3boysmom
We did the Florida Gulf Coast in November, we'll be doing Charleston, Savannah, Hilton Head, Myrtle Beach, Augusta, and Bourbon Trail in late March/early April. Dates and places TBD.

Looking at Adult only AI's for a week in February in RM, Jamaica, Dom Reb. Possibly Bahama's.

CSB- I was on Apple vacations looking for the first week of February. Got a hit on Secrets Akumal that was priced at $11k/person for 7 days. I figured I put in a month long stay. Nope. Right now Secrets everywhere are running around $3k or more for 7 days.

@3boysmom WTF?

Reactions: goldmom
Going to Cancun in February via @3boysmom. Look forward to being murdered by cartels. Really want to go to Tulum, but for a short trip I want to be as close to the airport as possible.
Maya Tren will be up and running on it's entire length starting in February. Hope on the train at CUN and easy peasy trip down to Tulum. That's the one thing holding us back from Tulum...it's along drive/bus down.

Dang, does no one go to Europe anymore?
Was just there over Christmas break. Paris/Vienna/Klagenfurt + a trip into Italy for a day. Had an awesome time. Reconnected with friends who I studied with there 30 years ago. Took the no pics and son. No pics had relatives in Paris so they had a great reunion. South Austria and Northern Italy is one of my absolute favorite place in the world. Right up there with Maui, Prague and eastern Iowa (except Wilton:)

Appreciate all the responses in this thread. Still looking for more feedback on that June trip. It doesn't have to be all-inclusive, I'm just being lazy.

Reactions: Tom Paris
where in italy?
Flying into Rome, but immediately taking a train to Florence. We are doing Florence for a few days, then taking the train back to Rome for a few days. We then have a place for a week on the Amalfi Coast. Based out of there, we will do day trips to Capri, Vesuvius, and Positano, sprinkled in with days just chilling at the rental villa.

Same! Where are you headed?
Just replied to aardvark. We fly out on 6/2 arriving the morning of 6/3. We fly out of Rome 6/15. Flying into Rome, but immediately taking a train to Florence. We are doing Florence for a few days, then taking the train back to Rome for a few days. We then have a place for a week on the Amalfi Coast. Based out of there, we will do day trips to Capri, Vesuvius, and Positano, sprinkled in with days just chilling at the rental villa.

Reactions: hawkeyetraveler
Flying into Rome, but immediately taking a train to Florence. We are doing Florence for a few days, then taking the train back to Rome for a few days. We then have a place for a week on the Amalfi Coast. Based out of there, we will do day trips to Capri, Vesuvius, and Positano, sprinkled in with days just chilling at the rental villa.
You will LOVE Amalfi! Capri, Vesuvius and P{ositano are breathtaking…..Lemoncello!

You will LOVE Amalfi! Capri, Vesuvius and P{ositano are breathtaking…..Lemoncello!
We are doing some cooking lessons in Florence, and have some tours lined up. In Rome, our VRBO is right by (across the street from?) the Coliseum. Also doing the Vatican. Should be a hectic first week. The second week I am very much looking forward to chilling on the Amalfi Coast. We are spacing the daytrips out every other day, and we will have a private chef come and cook a few meals. I'm not going to get rich taking the vacation, but this is all right before I turn 50, so I have waited a long time for it. It also helps that we will be 4 of 11 people in the extended family paying for large places we rent, so the per capita damage isn't as bad as it could be.

Last edited:
Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT