ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Upon Further Review

Apr 8, 2003
Upon Further Review
Mike Zierath | Staff writer

bzsqgsbbnmwafdgcejre

A tough day for Kirk Ferentz last week.

The season we all wait for is already 25% over. Three weeks in. Three games for most teams. Like the final days of summer, the season we all love will be gone before we know it.

Notre Dame is out of contention.

Oklahoma is out of contention.

USC is out of contention.

Three Blue bloods of college football that we can throw out with the trash. The pre-season hype that all three received was just that. Heck, even I believed that USC might be on the way back. Wrong! Was never on board with the other two.

ACC: “Don’t sleep on Louisville, they are going to be very good.” That was what I said pre-season. Last week I said that it appeared they had the parts in place, but questioned whether or not they could run with the big boys. They can! Clemson better strap it on tight cause Louisville is gonna bring some thunder and lightning wrapped up in one little skinny package named Lamar Jackson. This kid can play and if he isn’t currently the front runner for the Heisman, he should be.

Pitt is still the lead dog on the other side of this conference. They lost a tough one to Okie State, but watch for them to bounce back.

SEC: The East is going to have a front runner, as soon as Florida puts away Tennessee. Florida has the defense, but, we all knew that. It appears they may have just enough offense to roll through that side of the conference.

In my first article, I said it was a four team race between Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M. I was wrong. I think this side is a two team race. Alabama is, in my opinion, the best college football team I have ever seen. They are good in every facet of the game. I’m sticking with the Aggies as the team that has the right makeup to take them down, head to head. Of course, since Bama has already beaten Ole Miss, and LSU hasn’t lost in conference play, mathematically, the Tigers are still in this as well. Ok, that was just a joke and I’m sure some of you snorted or laughed out loud a little.

Big Ten: It pains me to say this, but, OSU, MSU and Michigan are the cream of the crop in the East. I definitely felt like OSU could stumble, citing youth as the factor that would raise its ugly head, but I might have been wrong. They have looked pretty good. The other two are no slouches. OSU passes the eyeball test right now.

The West is looking like Nebraska’s to lose at this point. I don’t like bugeaters. Never have. Never will. But they are beginning to make me look smart. Tommy Turnover has been Tommy Touchdown. I am pretty sure I told you that if he could find a way to be the latter, things would get pretty interesting. Watching Wisconsin struggle against a team I’ve never even heard of and watching our very own Hawkeyes battered by a very well coached, tough, tenacious, FCS team (no, I didn’t lay on the superlatives to make myself feel better), leads me to believe that Nebraska would have to be considered the front runner. That could change.

Big 12: Oklahoma, OSU, TCU and Texas are probably out of the National picture. The last three could still play their way into the college football playoff picture because they have all had early losses to quality FBS programs. In the preseason, I picked TCU to win the conference. I said that Baylor would have the right motivation and would use it to their advantage. In the Big 12, the ONLY team that is playing something that kind of resembles defense, while running the wide open offensive scheme that seems to be the flavor of choice in that conference, is Baylor. Because of that, it appears they have the upper hand. Sticking with my original choice here though, cause that’s what I do.

Pac 12: Washington is for real. Maybe all that preseason hype I wasn’t buying was a bargain after all. Oregon got clipped by Nebraska. USC got beat by the might Cardinal. They didn’t roll up into the fetal position and quit like they did against Bama, but they did take a beating. Utah is unscathed and will have the Trojans this weekend. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the USC locker room after they suffer their third loss of the season. That program is a mess. Arizona State didn’t run up the big numbers they had been putting up, but they did win.

Will come down to Washington and Stanford in the North, ASU and Utah in the south.

If I was a picking man, and I am……….I’d say the final four, right now, would look something like this; Alabama, Ohio State, Louisville and………hell, I don’t know. I suspect I should say Stanford, but that would mean every color of red imaginable would be represented in the College Football playoffs.

Real quickly, let’s chat. Many of you know that I get a lot of windshield time. From about the first of August, through the end of college football, my radio dial is set to Sirrus channel 84. I listen to college football analysts all day. Generally, that takes place 3-4 days a week. If I have to hear “Horns Up, Hawkeyes Down” any more this week, I may vomit (Yes, I think every show, every day, has played the FG call at some point).

Yes, I’ve flushed the loss. But it still might be considered one of the greatest upsets of all time! Who would have ever thought that it would rank up there with Appalachian State beating Michigan. Or James Madison knocking off Virginia Tech. How about Boise State beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl? It happens every year. Someone catches a team looking past them and lays the wood to them and comes out with a victory. Heck, if Ole Miss would have held on and beaten Alabama this past weekend, we might not have had to endure the scrutiny that we’ve been subjected to this week.

I really meant it when I said NDSU is well coached. I meant it when I said they know how to win. I meant it when I said they aren’t afraid to come into Kinnick to play the 11th ranked Iowa Hawkeyes because they had beaten five straight FBS opponents. I also meant it when I said Iowa 45, NDSU 10. That’s what needed to happen. It didn’t. That’s football.

Here’s something else that is football. I talked about recruiting after the week one games. I said, and I believe this, that there are four very important positions you have to recruit well for. Oline, Dline, QB and CB. Iowa’s CB’s got caught cheating a bit. Iowa’s Oline was banged up and somehow only managed a net of less than 40 yards on the ground. Iowa’s Dline couldn’t stop the run and get off the field. Iowa’s QB, who apparently has the green light to change plays, didn’t.

Why didn’t they roll the pocket? Why didn’t they utilize Beathard’s arm a little more? Why isn’t Kirk Ferentz chewing gum on the sidelines?

These are all questions I need answers to, but probably won’t ever get. There is a ton of teaching material in that game. I think some air might have been let out of a few Iowa boys after the ass-whooping they just absorbed. I hope so. They better find some heart, desire and correct their mistakes or it could be a long season.

Heisman: There are some front runners. Lamar Jackson in my book has to be one of those guys. But, we are only three weeks in. Way too early to anoint the player that walks on water. Along with Jackson, Christian McCaffrey has to be considered an early favorite. Mr. Do Everything is doing just that. Running, catching and returning.

Here’s a name to remember: Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State University. Averaging just shy of 200 yards per game. Has the Aztecs 3-0 and winners of 13 straight, which ranks second, only behind Alabama for consecutive wins (15). He won’t win it because of the East coast bias and the fact that he goes to a small school, but he will be drafted and will be on many of your fantasy teams in years to come.

If indeed it was the greatest upset of all time then I like the outlook for Iowa the rest of the year. However I think it'll make more sense at the end of the year when Iowa finished 8-4 or 7-5

So lets just say that at the end of the season we have this scenario:

OSU 12-0
Bama 12-0
Louisville 11-1 (L to Clemson, Beats Houston)
Clemson 11-1 (L to FSU, beats Louisville)
Houston 11-1 (L to Louisville)
Stanford 11-1 (L to ND)
Iowa 10-2 (L NDSU & OSU BTG)
Michigan 10-2 (L to OSU & Iowa)

How do they choose who goes to the playoff? Obviously OSU and bama. Dang then you got some tough calls. Houston, Louisville, Stanford, Clemson.

I would not want to be on that committee. But I guess my point with this post is, Iowa's loss Saturday was the season killer. There is no hope for them to the playoff and even if they would of won, I doubt they would of made it 11-1 because of all the top teams ahead of them. So Barta has to improve the schedule for future years.

But I guess my point with this post is, Iowa's loss Saturday was the season killer.

Nah. Not much different than the UNI game in 2009. only difference was the kicks were blocked. Went 10-2. Or the 2002 loss to ISU, went 11-1.

Don't overemphasize one freaking game.

ISU's program/fans think that way and tanks their seasons.

It was one damn game. Flush it.

OSU 12-0
Bama 12-0
Stanford 11-1 (L to ND)

How do they choose who goes to the playoff? Obviously OSU and bama. Dang then you got some tough calls. Houston, Louisville, Stanford, Clemson.

I would not want to be on that committee. But I guess my point with this post is, Iowa's loss Saturday was the season killer. There is no hope for them to the playoff and even if they would of won, I doubt they would of made it 11-1 because of all the top teams ahead of them. So Barta has to improve the schedule for future years.
Or you could have Iowa go 11-1, beat Ohio State and go to the CFP because we're owed that much after last year.

Plus we're not done with Iowa trolling the media and making them sweat about the threat of a successful Iowa team meaning they'll have to go out of their way to talk about Iowa when they really don't want to.

Deal? Sure it is.

Yeah but I just can't see a scenario where if Iowa is tied with those other teams at 11-1 that they get in. I realize we would own 2 HUGE wins over OSU & Mich. But we would still have the FCS loss hanging over our heads. I just think that negates one win and then your left w/only one Big win.

I am hoping it comes to that scenario. I want to see this team come together and go on a run.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
greatest upset of all time? please.

lay off the pipe.

Dude, I said might be. It was an FCS team beating an 11th ranked FBS program. Anytime that happens, it's probably gonna go on someone's list.

And in the other scenario you didn't agree with, that poster is correct. Iowa wouldn't sniff the Colkege Football playoffs with a loss to an FSC opponent, doesn't matter who it is.

Mike

Dude, I said might be. It was an FCS team beating an 11th ranked FBS program. Anytime that happens, it's probably gonna go on someone's list.

And in the other scenario you didn't agree with, that poster is correct. Iowa wouldn't sniff the Colkege Football playoffs with a loss to an FSC opponent, doesn't matter who it is.

Mike

No might be's about it. betting lines had it at 14.5 underdog. that would put it at about the 28th biggest upset this year. much less all time.

Ask any NDSU fan they should have been a favorite in the game and it wasn't an upset at all.

I get the sensationalization aspect from the Iowa fan base as we are a fickle and drama prone bunch bunch but I think in this case it mostly stems from a huge amount of ignorance on our part about the other team and program and it's players.

NDSU isn't "some FCS school"... they are "THEE" FCS school.

Mike

ps. if Iowa beats Wisc, Mich & OSU they aren't being held out of the playoff. No way. No how. No chance. We would be undisputed top 4 in the country for sure.

Mike

Z - It pains me to disagree with you, but a 12-1 Big10 Champ Iowa would not be left out of the CFP just because their lone loss was to NDSU back in September.

Reactions: GoHawks2009
No might be's about it. betting lines had it at 14.5 underdog. that would put it at about the 28th biggest upset this year. much less all time.

Ask any NDSU fan they should have been a favorite in the game and it wasn't an upset at all.

I get the sensationalization aspect from the Iowa fan base as we are a fickle and drama prone bunch bunch but I think in this case it mostly stems from a huge amount of ignorance on our part about the other team and program and it's players.

If you read my article last week, you would know that my respect for NDSU is genuine.

David slaying Goliath (that's hypothetical by the way) is always a conversation piece. Whether it's Appy State over Michigan, or NDSU beating Iowa or a bunch of Nuns beating Notre Dame, it will always get lumped into the biggest upset category. It was a descriptive term, nothing more.

Mike

Yeah but I just can't see a scenario where if Iowa is tied with those other teams at 11-1 that they get in. I realize we would own 2 HUGE wins over OSU & Mich. But we would still have the FCS loss hanging over our heads. I just think that negates one win and then your left w/only one Big win.

I am hoping it comes to that scenario. I want to see this team come together and go on a run.
If Oklahoma wins the Big 12 and Iowa has a win over Ohio State, the Big 12 is s-o-l.

They won't take two teams from one conference and the only other way someone passes Iowa is if a Houston or some other mid major went unbeaten.

Z - It pains me to disagree with you, but a 12-1 Big10 Champ Iowa would not be left out of the CFP just because their lone loss was to NDSU back in September.

Bean Ol'boy, you know that I want to believe that, however, if Louisville loses to Clemson, Clemson loses to FSU and you factor in theFSU loss to Louisville, or Pitt runs the table with a loss to Okie State, and you have an undefeated SEC opponent......and a one loss Big 12 champion...and Washington or Stanford are eligible.......I think the Hawks would get left out.

Look, that's a lot of "ifs". Bottom line is its too early to say. This whole process will shake itself out come November. For the record, I hope the committee has to make that decision. I said in my pre-season article that Iowa would represent the Big with one loss. I just never thought for one second it would be to NDSU.

Mike

If you read my article last week, you would know that my respect for NDSU is genuine.

David slaying Goliath (that's hypothetical by the way) is always a conversation piece. Whether it's Appy State over Michigan, or NDSU beating Iowa or a bunch of Nuns beating Notre Dame, it will always get lumped into the biggest upset category. It was a descriptive term, nothing more.

Mike

fair enough, i see where you are coming from.

i just don't really think it was/is that big of an upset between the two football teams. only in name/reputation or FBS/FCS angle.

but if you just line up these two teams and no names and say who is better? one might think maybe iowa has a 3-7 point advantage at home and the game could/should be a toss up.

their OL looked pretty healthy to me. they looked like the damn Packers out there from my seat in Kinnick.

OSU 12-0
Bama 12-0
Stanford 11-1 (L to ND)

Most of those teams would play 13 games before being selected to the CFP.

Thank you.

It's all about stimulating thought and conversation......

As I drive by Bison Tire and Lube in Buffalo, Tx....smh!

Reminders all around me.

Mike
Having anything involved with an Iowa loss shown on repeat is bad....but nothing can beat the annoying final call from Central Michigan in their win over us a few years ago.

There's just certain instances in life where getting kicked in the teeth needs to be more than just an expression........

talking cfp after 3 weeks is pointless......
many teams haven't even played a conference game yet!

If indeed it was the greatest upset of all time then I like the outlook for Iowa the rest of the year. However I think it'll make more sense at the end of the year when Iowa finished 8-4 or 7-5

At first I really believed that this was the greastest upset of all time iowa history too.. But then after I put things In perspective, although NDSU is a fcs school, iowa loses about the same way that NDSU beat em in close games a lot. Unless a blow out like Stanford.. But we've all seen Iowa's d not be able to get off the field only to get beat in the last seconds of the game..

Last edited:
At first I really believed that this was the greastest upset of all time iowa history too.. But then after I put things In perspective, although NDSU is a fcs school, iowa loses about the same way that NDSU beat em in close games a lot. Unless a blow out like Stanford.. But we've all seen Iowa's d not be able to get off the field only to get beat in the last seconds of the game..
Exactly.. It reminded me of SOOO many Iowa games over the past 6-7 years..

It won't even be a consideration. Iowa and CFP aren't on the same page this year.

Both.
Iowa will not end up 12-1 this season and the CFP if it did happen would be very sketchy IMO.
The BIG wins over the powers that be would have to be convincing to get the nod.

And Iowa is the returning Big Ten West Champion, and lost the Big Ten Title game by a whisker at a neutral site. THAT team should throttle THEE FCS School on any field.

Didn't read the whole thread...but according to Mike here...I might as well trade in my season tickets...and turn off my TV for the rest of the football season...he has it all figured out.

Second thought....I will likely still find my way Iowa City for the remainder of our home games...may even make it to the BTC...just to see if Blair is right.

Go Hawks!

Upon Further Review
Mike Zierath | Staff writer

bzsqgsbbnmwafdgcejre

A tough day for Kirk Ferentz last week.

The season we all wait for is already 25% over. Three weeks in. Three games for most teams. Like the final days of summer, the season we all love will be gone before we know it.

Notre Dame is out of contention.

Oklahoma is out of contention.

USC is out of contention.

Three Blue bloods of college football that we can throw out with the trash. The pre-season hype that all three received was just that. Heck, even I believed that USC might be on the way back. Wrong! Was never on board with the other two.

ACC: “Don’t sleep on Louisville, they are going to be very good.” That was what I said pre-season. Last week I said that it appeared they had the parts in place, but questioned whether or not they could run with the big boys. They can! Clemson better strap it on tight cause Louisville is gonna bring some thunder and lightning wrapped up in one little skinny package named Lamar Jackson. This kid can play and if he isn’t currently the front runner for the Heisman, he should be.

Pitt is still the lead dog on the other side of this conference. They lost a tough one to Okie State, but watch for them to bounce back.

SEC: The East is going to have a front runner, as soon as Florida puts away Tennessee. Florida has the defense, but, we all knew that. It appears they may have just enough offense to roll through that side of the conference.

In my first article, I said it was a four team race between Ole Miss, Alabama, LSU and Texas A&M. I was wrong. I think this side is a two team race. Alabama is, in my opinion, the best college football team I have ever seen. They are good in every facet of the game. I’m sticking with the Aggies as the team that has the right makeup to take them down, head to head. Of course, since Bama has already beaten Ole Miss, and LSU hasn’t lost in conference play, mathematically, the Tigers are still in this as well. Ok, that was just a joke and I’m sure some of you snorted or laughed out loud a little.

Big Ten: It pains me to say this, but, OSU, MSU and Michigan are the cream of the crop in the East. I definitely felt like OSU could stumble, citing youth as the factor that would raise its ugly head, but I might have been wrong. They have looked pretty good. The other two are no slouches. OSU passes the eyeball test right now.

The West is looking like Nebraska’s to lose at this point. I don’t like bugeaters. Never have. Never will. But they are beginning to make me look smart. Tommy Turnover has been Tommy Touchdown. I am pretty sure I told you that if he could find a way to be the latter, things would get pretty interesting. Watching Wisconsin struggle against a team I’ve never even heard of and watching our very own Hawkeyes battered by a very well coached, tough, tenacious, FCS team (no, I didn’t lay on the superlatives to make myself feel better), leads me to believe that Nebraska would have to be considered the front runner. That could change.

Big 12: Oklahoma, OSU, TCU and Texas are probably out of the National picture. The last three could still play their way into the college football playoff picture because they have all had early losses to quality FBS programs. In the preseason, I picked TCU to win the conference. I said that Baylor would have the right motivation and would use it to their advantage. In the Big 12, the ONLY team that is playing something that kind of resembles defense, while running the wide open offensive scheme that seems to be the flavor of choice in that conference, is Baylor. Because of that, it appears they have the upper hand. Sticking with my original choice here though, cause that’s what I do.

Pac 12: Washington is for real. Maybe all that preseason hype I wasn’t buying was a bargain after all. Oregon got clipped by Nebraska. USC got beat by the might Cardinal. They didn’t roll up into the fetal position and quit like they did against Bama, but they did take a beating. Utah is unscathed and will have the Trojans this weekend. I’d love to be a fly on the wall in the USC locker room after they suffer their third loss of the season. That program is a mess. Arizona State didn’t run up the big numbers they had been putting up, but they did win.

Will come down to Washington and Stanford in the North, ASU and Utah in the south.

If I was a picking man, and I am……….I’d say the final four, right now, would look something like this; Alabama, Ohio State, Louisville and………hell, I don’t know. I suspect I should say Stanford, but that would mean every color of red imaginable would be represented in the College Football playoffs.

Real quickly, let’s chat. Many of you know that I get a lot of windshield time. From about the first of August, through the end of college football, my radio dial is set to Sirrus channel 84. I listen to college football analysts all day. Generally, that takes place 3-4 days a week. If I have to hear “Horns Up, Hawkeyes Down” any more this week, I may vomit (Yes, I think every show, every day, has played the FG call at some point).

Yes, I’ve flushed the loss. But it still might be considered one of the greatest upsets of all time! Who would have ever thought that it would rank up there with Appalachian State beating Michigan. Or James Madison knocking off Virginia Tech. How about Boise State beating Oklahoma in the Fiesta Bowl? It happens every year. Someone catches a team looking past them and lays the wood to them and comes out with a victory. Heck, if Ole Miss would have held on and beaten Alabama this past weekend, we might not have had to endure the scrutiny that we’ve been subjected to this week.

I really meant it when I said NDSU is well coached. I meant it when I said they know how to win. I meant it when I said they aren’t afraid to come into Kinnick to play the 11th ranked Iowa Hawkeyes because they had beaten five straight FBS opponents. I also meant it when I said Iowa 45, NDSU 10. That’s what needed to happen. It didn’t. That’s football.

Here’s something else that is football. I talked about recruiting after the week one games. I said, and I believe this, that there are four very important positions you have to recruit well for. Oline, Dline, QB and CB. Iowa’s CB’s got caught cheating a bit. Iowa’s Oline was banged up and somehow only managed a net of less than 40 yards on the ground. Iowa’s Dline couldn’t stop the run and get off the field. Iowa’s QB, who apparently has the green light to change plays, didn’t.

Why didn’t they roll the pocket? Why didn’t they utilize Beathard’s arm a little more? Why isn’t Kirk Ferentz chewing gum on the sidelines?

These are all questions I need answers to, but probably won’t ever get. There is a ton of teaching material in that game. I think some air might have been let out of a few Iowa boys after the ass-whooping they just absorbed. I hope so. They better find some heart, desire and correct their mistakes or it could be a long season.

Heisman: There are some front runners. Lamar Jackson in my book has to be one of those guys. But, we are only three weeks in. Way too early to anoint the player that walks on water. Along with Jackson, Christian McCaffrey has to be considered an early favorite. Mr. Do Everything is doing just that. Running, catching and returning.

Here’s a name to remember: Donnel Pumphrey, San Diego State University. Averaging just shy of 200 yards per game. Has the Aztecs 3-0 and winners of 13 straight, which ranks second, only behind Alabama for consecutive wins (15). He won’t win it because of the East coast bias and the fact that he goes to a small school, but he will be drafted and will be on many of your fantasy teams in years to come.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rocket98
Didn't read the whole thread...but according to Blair here...I might as well trade in my season tickets...and turn off my TV for the rest of the football season...he has it all figured out.

Second thought....I will likely still find my way Iowa City for the remainder of our home games...may even make it to the BTC...just to see if Blair is right.

Go Hawks!

Blair didn't write it.....

Z

12-1 Iowa with wins over Wisconsin, Nebraska, Michigan and either MSU, MI or OSU in the title game is a lock for the playoffs.
I posted in another thread that ESPN still has us "on the fence" for the playoffs. They hate us right? Even they admit the truth.
That said, not likely; but the loss did not automatically eliminate us like many seem to think.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT