ADVERTISEMENT

UPS Workers are about to go on strike

Morrison71

HB Legend
Nov 10, 2006
Jason Flynn loves one aspect of his part-time job as a UPS package sorter: He was able to get it in 15 minutes.

What he doesn't love, he said, is earning $18 an hour pay to move 70-pound packages every few seconds, the "noxious" air from the exhaust of trucks and the "supervisors yelling at you to keep it moving." Since suffering an injury earlier this year, Flynn said he has been able to work only one or two shifts a week at his Chicago facility, and has to supplement his UPS pay with dog-walking or food-delivery gigs.

"I have to constantly make up the money elsewhere," the 32-year-old told CBS MoneyWatch. "I've been in near-poverty for a long time.... I would bike 40 minutes each way to work instead of taking the train," adding, "I haven't paid my rent yet this month."

Flynn is among the thousands of part-time employees at UPS pushing for higher pay as the Teamsters union, which represents 340,000 UPS workers, and the delivery giant resume contract negotiations next week. If no deal is reached by July 31, the union has vowed to walk off the job in what would be America's biggest strike in 60 years.

Here's what to know about the negotiations and the effects of a possible strike.

The major outstanding issue is pay, particularly for part-time UPS workers, who make up 60% of the company's workforce, according to the Teamsters.

Part-time workers at UPS start at $16.20 an hour, according to the company. UPS notes that part-timers make an average of $20 an hour after 30 days on the job, while enjoying the same health care and pension benefits as full-time workers.

However, that starting pay is far below what full-time UPS workers make for doing the same job, many part-timers note. While neither the union nor UPS have disclosed the latest pay proposals on the bargaining table, some workers are pushing for starting pay of $25 an hour — the same amount they were making in 1983 when adjusting for inflation.

"I don't think it's asking anything crazy to have equal pay, doing the same jobs as full-timers inside the building," Flynn said.

Full-time workers at UPS, most of whom are delivery truck drivers, can make $95,000 a year or more, but they represent a minority of the workforce and face their own challenges, such as often brutal heat on the job.

The median UPS employee made $52,000 last year, according to the company's securities filings. CEO Carol Tomé made $18.9 million that year, down from $27 million the year before.

"We are prepared to increase our industry-leading pay and benefits, but need to work quickly to finalize a fair deal that provides certainty for our customers, our employees and businesses across the country," UPS said in a statement on Wednesday.

The labor talks, while fitful, have succeeded in resolving some issues, including making Martin Luther King, Jr. Day a paid holiday and installing air conditioning and heat shields in delivery trucks, where summer temperatures often shoot above 110 degrees.

The Teamsters have been holding practice pickets for months in preparation for a strike and, since last fall, have encouraged members to put money aside so they have a financial cushion in case of a walkout.

Jose Francisco Negrete, a part-time package sorter and 25-year veteran at UPS in Anaheim, California, said he started saving last year, putting away $55 with every paycheck.

"Probably around September, I said, you know what, if I need to take out money for an emergency I will, but I'm not going to touch it," he told CBS MoneyWatch. "I've been telling members to save as well. If we do strike, we need to be prepared."

In the even of a work stoppage, workers would get strike pay totaling five times their union membership dues, Negrete said. For him, that would provide a weekly check of about $350, just under half his usual earnings. Despite the financial risks, he still thinks it's worth pushing for higher pay long-term.

"This contract is about respect," he said. "Is UPS willing to take $2.8 billion in profit and give it to the part-timers — profit that was generated by us, by the rank and file? We need to exert as much power as we can and fight for as much as we can."

Reactions: Ree4 and TC Nole OX
If they strike, the world will start losing BIG $$$ immediately. $$ that cannot be recouped.
The shudders throughout the system will be massive.

Reactions: Ree4 and Moral
Sounds like they are close to an agreement and if they agree to a contract UPS won't strike through the ratification process.

Seems like the easy solution would be to pay part timers what FTer's make.

Cardi B Popcorn GIF by MOODMAN

you gotta strike while the irons hot

I saw they would finally be getting A/C in their trucks as part of any deal too. That's long overdue.
My UPS guy says that is the dumbest thing because they are in and out of the truck so much. Good thing down south, but a non issue for him. Maybe he will have a different opinion once it is in.

My UPS guy says that is the dumbest thing because they are in and out of the truck so much. Good thing down south, but a non issue for him. Maybe he will have a different opinion once it is in.
Just out of curiosity, are the cabs of those trucks sealed off from the cargo areas? Seems like they would need to be for AC to be effective, given the large cargo doors.

I'm thinking you can keep that cab a pleasant temp even hopping in and out, as long as it's isolated from the back.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
One of my best friends has been a UPS driver for 30 years. He agrees that A/C would be dumb and just would drive fuel efficiency way down. He says you are better off just getting used to a constant temperature.

One of my best friends has been a UPS driver for 30 years. He agrees that A/C would be dumb and just would drive fuel efficiency way down. He says you are better off just getting used to a constant temperature.
All I know is the UPS guys that I deal with are hot sweaty messes during the summer down here...great dudes. Keep a nice demeanor even though they're in a sauna all day....

Sixty percent?

I understand there are advantages to companies to using part timers, but doesn't this seem excessive?
Not really? I think the bulk of the FTer's are drivers and supervisory positions so you don't need a bunch ofFTer's who are package handlers. Also, you would go quite insane if all you did was empty trucks and sort all day.

Just out of curiosity, are the cabs of those trucks sealed off from the cargo areas? Seems like they would need to be for AC to be effective, given the large cargo doors.

I'm thinking you can keep that cab a pleasant temp even hopping in and out, as long as it's isolated from the back.
Most of the vehicles are panel trucks access to the rear. Our UPS guy has a straight truck but he delivers to Scheels and UIHC so hundreds of packages. When he does his home delivery portion he switches to a panel truck which has 235 AC....2 open doors at 35 mph.

Just because he works there doesn't mean he's right on this point.

That said, I'd be curious to see how many UPS drivers agree or disagree with him.

Is Biden going to step in again and take a shit on workers?

This won't affect me because I get my packages delivered by IPS

I have a strong belief that thing is going to go down to the last day, maybe last hours.

Although I think the union will a lot, but not all, that they are requesting.

The union head has publicly called on Biden to not get involved in any capacity. Not a good look for Joe imo

I don't think Biden will get involved. UPS has competitors so it's not like the strike shuts down parcel delivery entirely. I believe the issue with the rail workers strike was that it threatened to shut down all cargo rail for a while.

One of their legitimate demands is air conditioned trucks in super hot climates.
Roll down the effing window. I mean, you're already getting in and out of your truck constantly. A.C. is just going to make them want to sit in their trucks longer.

Our driver said that there was some suggestion that the “box” would get cooled but not the cab.
Kinda interesting. He said that the mere act of opening and closing the driver’s door over the route would show up as wasted or unproductive time, which management tracks aggressively.
He said that working in back, searching for packages, making room during pickups, etc… is where he overheats, whereas the cab stays cooler due to airflow. He also mentioned that skin contact in the “box” on metallic surfaces can cause burns.
Kinda interesting.

Last edited:
Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
No movies or TV and now no boredom shopping from Amazon (due to no movies or TV). I'm going to have to get a darn hobby soon.

Our driver said that there was some suggestion that the “box” would get cooled but not the cab.
Kinda interesting. He said that the mere act of opening and closing the driver’s door over the route would show up as wasted or unproductive time.
He said that working in back, searching for packages, making room during pickups, etc… is where he overheats, whereas the cab stays cooler due to airflow. He also mentioned that skin contact in the “box” on metallic surfaces can cause burns.
Kinda interesting.
Maybe we have the same driver...because he was telling our office staff something very similar last week. FWIW. This was in iowa city.

It makes sense to me.

Reactions: billanole
With the recent heatwave in MO I know one UPS worker who took temp readings in the back and it was 136 degrees at its hottest. There were apparently a lot of conversations and directives about trying to minimize the time drivers spend back there with the heat, but this guy had one stop that had 90 packages and he spent close to 20 minutes total in that heat while picking up and moving packages. Very unsafe environment to be in. He also said the newly negotiated terms would still take something like 10 years to equip the fleet with AC of some variety.

OK. Think about sitting in traffic in a dark brown ride with no AC, or rolling the road getting blasted with 90 degree+ air. Those folks earn their pesos.
As Much as they hustle in rain, snow and heat I have no issue with their guys making 6 figures. They've absolutely earned it.

OK. Think about sitting in traffic in a dark brown ride with no AC, or rolling the road getting blasted with 90 degree+ air. Those folks earn their pesos.
I'll ask our guy...but I think the real issue is the back section of the truck. They don't even close their doors while driving and therefore get pretty decent airflow through the cab and they don't sit in the cab for long periods. It's the cargo area that heats up AND they are in it plenty.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT