ADVERTISEMENT

UPS Workers are about to go on strike

I'll ask our guy...but I think the real issue is the back section of the truck. They don't even close their doors while driving and therefore get pretty decent airflow through the cab and they don't sit in the cab for long periods. It's the cargo area that heats up AND they are in it plenty.
Agreed that the back end is where the worst heat build up occurs.

The union head has publicly called on Biden to not get involved in any capacity. Not a good look for Joe imo
I think it is the perfect look! If there is to be a real settlement, their really should be no one but the principles involved in the negotiations. Just my opinion. Union and management need to hammer this thing out.

This article says the cabs will be air conditioned and the cargo areas will be vented.

I once worked part-time in the "hub" at UPS for the crazy benefits.

Seems to me this will benefit drivers differently depending upon their type of route. Some routes get a lot of "windshield time," as they term it (rural and surrounding small town routes).

On the other extreme are "bulk routes" in retail and industrial areas where the driver is in the back chunking packages out for long periods. Still hot for them.

Reactions: billanole
FWIW...I did ask our regular UPS driver about this (AC in the trucks) earlier this week. Apparently some of the new trucks have AC in the cab, but not surprisingly, with the doors open all the time it is of little value.

He did say that drivers in the hotter areas of the country consider this subject a big deal though. That makes sense to me...I can only imagine how hot it would get in one of those big brown toasters in say southern Arizona.

Not so much of an issue for the midwest drivers though.

FWIW...I did ask our regular UPS driver about this (AC in the trucks) earlier this week. Apparently some of the new trucks have AC in the cab, but not surprisingly, with the doors open all the time it is of little value.

He did say that drivers in the hotter areas of the country consider this subject a big deal though. That makes sense to me...I can only imagine how hot it would get in one of those big brown toasters in say southern Arizona.

Not so much of an issue for the midwest drivers though.
The back of the truck got up to 140 degrees (plus 90 percent hunidity) here in st louis a couple weeks ago. It's a large problem in the Midwest too depending on the time of year and the weather.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT