ADVERTISEMENT

***US Soccer***

ae3c8a4a6c7f9b9f82bab4c1bfb068cb.jpg

That's okay! Everyone loves US sports and the US soccer teams seem to be the most popular because they tend to play the most. Right now is the time to jump on the bandwagon before the World Cup is here.
That's okay! Everyone loves US sports and the US soccer teams seem to be the most popular because they tend to play the most. Right now is the time to jump on the bandwagon before the World Cup is here.

Yeah, I'm going to need to go to that. I believe Kansas City is the closest venue

Organizationally , Chelsea is a dumpster fire at the moment, and it’s not clear theres a consistent, long-term plan. It’s a good move for pulisic all around. Sometimes you just need a change of scenery.

I agree but you have to think with their financial resources if they get it figured out that they are going to be a bigger club than AC Milan.

As evidenced by the fact that if Chelsea needs a 10 they will go out and find the hottest young player on the market at the moment and buy them for 70M + while AC Milan is out there bargain shopping Chelsea's castoffs.

It will be far closer to Panama's best team than this was for Canada. No Buchanan, Davies, David, etc.

I've heard that the timing of the Gold cup and Nation's League was thrown off by COVID and that they are re-setting in the future and we might be able to see our A team compete in the Gold Cup in the future.

I want the USA to win of course but I just havn't gotten into this year's Gold Cup (nor the 2021 version) because it's hard for me to get excited about a tournament played by our C team.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
I've heard that the timing of the Gold cup and Nation's League was thrown off by COVID and that they are re-setting in the future and we might be able to see our A team compete in the Gold Cup in the future.

I want the USA to win of course but I just havn't gotten into this year's Gold Cup (nor the 2021 version) because it's hard for me to get excited about a tournament played by our C team.
Especially the year following a World Cup I’m ok with bringing mostly backups to the Gold Cup, particularly given the oddities for the Qatar tourney - let those guys get some time to rest after the Nations League. I’d expect in ‘25 to see our first team for that Gold Cup, since we won’t have to go thru WCQ.

Especially the year following a World Cup I’m ok with bringing mostly backups to the Gold Cup, particularly given the oddities for the Qatar tourney - let those guys get some time to rest after the Nations League. I’d expect in ‘25 to see our first team for that Gold Cup, since we won’t have to go thru WCQ.

Hopefully so. . . I would just prefer they do whatever they have to do timing wise so that everyone can bring their A team to the Gold Cup.

Hopefully so. . . I would just prefer they do whatever they have to do timing wise so that everyone can bring their A team to the Gold Cup.
Have to pick your poison imo. The Gold Cup to me represents an ideal chance to give opportunities to guys trying to work their way into the club while not hurting the US to much competitively (usually).

Have to pick your poison imo. The Gold Cup to me represents an ideal chance to give opportunities to guys trying to work their way into the club while not hurting the US to much competitively (usually).

My beef is other than the World Cup and the Copa America (which we hardly ever get to play in), the Gold Cup is where we get an opportunity to grind through group stage games and continue to build chemistry with our team. I think we are building TOO deep off a pool and not letting "normal" reserves get minutes.

This would be fantastic for Luca de la Torre, Joe Scally, Reggie Cannon, Brendan Aaronson, Ricardo Pepi, etc... to get more meaningful minutes and exposure. I understand the US doesn't want to do that to give them preseason with European clubs but this feels like a missed opportunity to give the A Team reserves (true B team) more minutes.

I know COVID has thrown things off but our B/C team has had seemingly more games than many other nations.

I also LOVE Matt Turner. He's the #1 for sure... but I was hoping Gaga was going to get minutes in goal.

Isn't that what friendlies are for though?

IMO, this is what we should use more friendlies for. We already do it with the January camp for MLS offseason guys and various other friendlies. I think the Gold Cup needs to be with our top squad going forward to get into the "figure it out" part of group stages and put the pressure on in these knockout games.

Let's be real, for a long stretch of that game the US looked bad. Couldn't complete passes, had no creativity, no dangerous balls, shot off defenders legs. I understand part of that was certainly Canada's game plan but we made it too easy.

My beef is other than the World Cup and the Copa America (which we hardly ever get to play in), the Gold Cup is where we get an opportunity to grind through group stage games and continue to build chemistry with our team. I think we are building TOO deep off a pool and not letting "normal" reserves get minutes.

This would be fantastic for Luca de la Torre, Joe Scally, Reggie Cannon, Brendan Aaronson, Ricardo Pepi, etc... to get more meaningful minutes and exposure. I understand the US doesn't want to do that to give them preseason with European clubs but this feels like a missed opportunity to give the A Team reserves (true B team) more minutes.

I know COVID has thrown things off but our B/C team has had seemingly more games than many other nations.

I also LOVE Matt Turner. He's the #1 for sure... but I was hoping Gaga was going to get minutes in goal.

Arsenal let Matt Turner play in this tournament so Gaga wasn't going to see the pitch.

Isn't that what friendlies are for though?
True, but I also want to see these guys play in games that matter - friendlies you’re never sure what you’re going to get. Also, we won’t have as many friendlies in the future due to the nations league occupying some of those fixture dates. Imo, part of the warts were seeing vs Jamaica and Canada came from inexperience at this level.

agreed, this isn’t necessarily the roster I’d have picked aside from a few guys like cowell, Neal, djordje, etc.

Me too, but Solina (sp?) is going to be at Chelsea and only like 21 or so. He's also a dual national with Mexico. Still hasn't entered a meaningful game so he's still not tied to the US.

Going into this tournament id expected that Sean would be the #1 and Gaga would get a game or two.

Different line up today. Not a lot of game changers on the front line sitting on the bench.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT