ADVERTISEMENT

US sponsor pulls out of Olympics amid anger over Paris opening ceremony scene!!!

RicoSuave102954

HB Heisman
Jul 17, 2023
Montezuma, Iowa
A US-based company has decided to pull its adverts from the Paris Olympics after a controversial scene during Friday's opening ceremony.

"We were shocked by the mockery of the Last Supper during the opening ceremonies of the Paris Olympics. C Spire will be pulling our advertising from the Olympics.

The contentious scene unfolded on the Debilly Bridge where drag queens and dancers joined DJ Barbara Butch, who sported a halo-like silver headdress, for a catwalk segment that invigorated the crowd.

Telecom giant C Spire expressed its dismay by stating: "We were shocked by the mockery of the Last Supper during the opening ceremonies of the Paris Olympics. C Spire will be pulling our advertising from the Olympics."

The International Olympic Committee has acknowledged and accepted the apology issued by the Paris 2024 committee regarding the opening ceremony disagreement. Their comment was: The IOC has taken note of and welcomes the clarification given by the Paris 2024 Organising Committee concerning the opening ceremony.

"In the daily press briefing, the Organising Committee said there was never any intention to show disrespect towards any religious group or belief. They reiterated that their intention with the Opening Ceremony was always to celebrate community and tolerance. The Organising Committee also said that if anyone was offended by certain scenes, this was completely unintentional and they were sorry."

IF they were trying to mock something like Christianity.. what other names would they use OTHER than Barbara Butch?

Last edited:
I wonder how many would die if they mock the Quran in LA in four years?
setting aside that, it got me thinking. these openings are always so...unoriginal ... in that they follow the same script, seeking to go back to legends and prehistory to tell the host city/country's story and then bring it up to the present day. (Since, like, no one's ever heard of Paris).

So with that in mind...I'm thinking it could be cool if, in four years, LA features things like the Rodney King beating and ensuing riots, the watts fires of 68, smog (easily replicable with a simple smoke machine so the stadium and tv audience can't see anything), skid row (and the recent clearance thereof), junipero serra, the mexican american war, and maybe the northridge earthquake. I'd be especially thrilled if they could get any living cast member from Emergency! to light the olympic torch or at least participate in the relay.

setting aside that, it got me thinking. these openings are always so...unoriginal ... in that they follow the same script, seeking to go back to legends and prehistory to tell the host city/country's story and then bring it up to the present day. (Since, like, no one's ever heard of Paris).

So with that in mind...I'm thinking it could be cool if, in four years, LA features things like the Rodney King beating and ensuing riots, the watts fires of 68, smog (easily replicable with a simple smoke machine so the stadium and tv audience can't see anything), skid row (and the recent clearance thereof), junipero serra, the mexican american war, and maybe the northridge earthquake. I'd be especially thrilled if they could get any living cast member from Emergency! to light the olympic torch or at least participate in the relay.
I use to watch opening ceremonies back in the day when TV was 3 channels so anything different was must see. Anymore, just show me sports, I don’t care about the tear jerking back stories either.

NBC must know what they are doing, they get more viewers it it’s presented as a TV magazine vs pure sports.

Last edited:
I use to watch opening ceremonies back in the day when TV was 3 channels so anything different was must see. Anymore, just show me sports, I don’t care about the tear jerking back stories either.

NBC must know what they are doing, they get more viewers it it’s presented as a TV magazine vs pure sports.
honestly, i'm kind of with you. sports is pretty much the only thing left, on any channel, that is neither predictable nor literally trying to sell you something. Societal ennui I guess..

Honestly though, that whole approach dates back to ABC/Roone Arledge's "up close and personal" approach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT