ADVERTISEMENT

USA Basketball won't address tweets from coach Cheryl Reeve that referenced Caitlin Clark

She wasn't one of the 12 best. She has had very little international experience, and the people wringing their hands over her exclusion from the roster struggle to name who she should replace. It's sad to see Caitlin Clark being selfishly turned from such a unifying, inspirational figure into just another avenue of grievance.

She wasn't one of the 12 best. She has had very little international experience, and the people wringing their hands over her exclusion from the roster struggle to name who she should replace. It's sad to see Caitlin Clark being selfishly turned from such a unifying, inspirational figure into just another avenue of grievance.

I haven’t really even paid that much attention and have heard numerous people suggest she should be in over Diana or the girl that hasn’t played one minute this season. Chelsea?

Reactions: Bierhalter
Arike should be the 1st one to be added if Gray cannot play.
This...Im not sure of Clark is one of the top 6 guards in the league. And I think that s the argument. I do take exception to some of the statements out there regarding earnign their spot considering there are numerous legacy picks that have no business being on the roster if its about merit.

I don't really follow the WNBA closely but I do tend to favor the question of how often is a rookie one of the top 12 players in the game in their rookie year?

Arike should be the 1st one to be added if Gray cannot play.

Which doesn’t change the fact that me, having followed this very little, was easily able to throw 2 names out that have been thrown around for Caitlin to take the place of.

I agree with this.

That said, part of the reason for having a "national team" is to grow the sport and attract more viewers and support for women's basketball in America.

From that standpoint, they screwed the pooch bigly.

Which doesn’t change the fact that me, having followed this very little, was easily able to throw 2 names out that have been thrown around for Caitlin to take the place of.
That's all subjective. I could name more that could be included. I do agree that she could swap with DT, but DT has decades worth of pro/international experience so she isn't staying home even with similar numbers to Clark.

That's all subjective. I could name more that could be included. I do agree that she could swap with DT, but DT has decades worth of pro/international experience so she isn't staying home even with similar numbers to Clark.

There is nothing subjective about it at all. Poster I quoted said when asked, no one can say who she should replace. I pointed out 2 names I have heard numerous times to disprove that. That is not subjective, it is a fact. I am not arguing for Caitlin. Personally, I am glad she didn’t make the team. Gives her something to shoot for and gives her a break. And. Best part. I don’t have to watch basketball in the Olympics.

She has had as much international experience as someone her age could have:

National team career​

Junior national team​

Clark represented the United States at the 2017 FIBA Under-16 Women's Americas Championship in Buenos Aires, Argentina. She came off the bench and averaged 8.8 points per game, helping her team achieve a 5–0 record and win the gold medal.[170] Clark played at the 2019 FIBA Under-19 Women's Basketball World Cup in Bangkok, Thailand. In seven games, she averaged 5.3 points per game and won another gold medal, as her team finished with a 7–0 record.[171] Clark competed at the 2021 FIBA Under-19 Women's Basketball World Cup in Debrecen, Hungary and led the United States to the gold medal. She averaged a team-high 14.3 points, 5.6 assists, and 5.3 rebounds per game, was named Most Valuable Player and made the All-Tournament Team.[172]

that's all well and good.

just accept the coverage and care the public will give now. They invited you in...

Reactions: torbee
There is nothing subjective about it at all. Poster I quoted said when asked, no one can say who she should replace. I pointed out 2 names I have heard numerous times to disprove that. That is not subjective, it is a fact. I am not arguing for Caitlin. Personally, I am glad she didn’t make the team. Gives her something to shoot for and gives her a break. And. Best part. I don’t have to watch basketball in the Olympics.

I think you're taking that statement too literally.

And I think most people are missing the point of the article. It's about holding people accountable for their statements and trying to determine if there was bias.

I would think the players and coaches (being women and many being gay) would want to embrace the idea of DEI. Having a diverse set of players and including younger players can be a positive for the now and for the future.

Back to the original post; Whether Caitlin should be on the team or not; the national coach bitching about her team not being on TV when Caitlin's team was on TV ; this seems incredibly petty and almost inappropriate for the national coach to have tweeted

one player in the league is top 20 in scoring, top 5 in assists, and top 3 in three pointers made. It's not Arike.
Clark is also top 25 in rebounds. People who don't think she deserves it while Taurasi, Griner and Gray are on the team are completely wrong. She may not be an MVP caliber player yet, but to think she's not in the conversation or doesnt have an argument to be on the team is absolutely ridiculous. She's got the stats, would have better stats if her team wasn't pathetic.. not to mention she is the focal every single possession.. come on people.

Combine her very good play, with her insane marketability, and the fact #1 picks have been on the team multiple times before, and you have one of the single dumbest decisions I've ever seen

Bullshit. She absolutely is one of the best 12 in the league and one of the best ever in the league already. She is setting rookie records already less than a third of the way into the season on a shit team with a ridiculous schedule

Tell me....if she isn't one of the best why is he rest of the league face guarding her more than anyone else? Caitlin has been blitzed more than any other team in the league. Not just more than any other player, more than any other team.

Degrading Caitlin as not being one of the best in the league? The WNBA actions in how they are defending her says different

Back to the original post; Whether Caitlin should be on the team or not; the national coach bitching about her team not being on TV when Caitlin's team was on TV ; this seems incredibly petty and almost inappropriate for the national coach to have tweeted

Someone needs to explain to the coach that ratings matter. That coach has never consistently been on TV so she hasn't lost anything. CC hasn't taken anything from her. If stations want to show the Fever games, it's their decision.

Someone needs to explain to the coach that ratings matter. That coach has never consistently been on TV so she hasn't lost anything. CC hasn't taken anything from her. If stations want to show the Fever games, it's their decision.
Just when i think they cant be anymore stupid, they one up themselves. One new idiot after another in the WNBA. It's truly incredible.

Based off how inept and incompetent the entire WNBA is as a whole, I look forward to the near future when some negative texts or DMs come out that makes them look even more stupid on this subject. You just know it's going to happen... these morons can't help but shoot themselves in the foot on a weekly basis

Live look at selection committee

Catfight Millie GIF by pawsr

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT