ADVERTISEMENT

USC coming after Parker??

HawkOptimist

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Jan 5, 2006
USC fans are starting to chirp about wanting Phil Parker as their next DC, and thinking they can get him. Wanting USC to back up the Brinks truck to his house in Iowa City. All I can say is…
giphy.gif

He’s 60 years old and honestly at the peak of his game. Why in the world would he retire because Kirk retires? Is he the only coach he can coach with?
He sure seems to be tied to Kirk. If I had the money to retire at 60 comfortably I sure would have. He hasn't seemed interested in HC opportunities so I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they retired at the same time.

He sure seems to be tied to Kirk. If I had the money to retire at 60 comfortably I sure would have. He hasn't seemed interested in HC opportunities so I certainly wouldn't be shocked if they retired at the same time.
So I could be wrong and maybe he is. I’m just saying if you are the best in the entire country at your job and people were lining up to hire you if Kirk retires at the end of the year, why quit? 60 isn’t old. The guy has 6-8-10 years left in him easily if he wants to. He could go anywhere or if he wanted to stay loyal to Iowa and the new coach I’m sure we’d sure like to keep him! Phil doesn’t seem like a guy who’s going to run off to the Florida keys.

So I could be wrong and maybe he is. I’m just saying if you are the best in the entire country at your job and people were lining up to hire you if Kirk retires at the end of the year, why quit? 60 isn’t old. The guy has 6-8-10 years left in him easily if he wants to. He could go anywhere or if he wanted to stay loyal to Iowa and the new coach I’m sure we’d sure like to keep him! Phil doesn’t seem like a guy who’s going to run off to the Florida keys.
I'm not saying you are wrong.

would any of the USC players even be tough enough to play in his system? Do they have the patience for him to get the players to fit his system?
That is what I first thought and I wonder if PhilP thinks he can get the kind of hard hitting players he needs out there

Reactions: millah_22
would any of the USC players even be tough enough to play in his system? Do they have the patience for him to get the players to fit his system?
This. Most guys need rep after rep in his defense to be great at it.

I don't think he'd leave. But he's also never really had the opportunity to be a national champion either. A lucrative deal to take one last shot with a team that was basically a dynasty in recent years and could be again if he was a successful building a defense? Then retire richer win or lose?

Pretty serious loyalty to not even consider that.

While I don’t think he would ever take the job you’re crazy if you don’t think he’d have them as a top 15-20 defense in 3 years. He’s the best. Look what he’s been able to do with our 3 star guys. If he was getting 4 star guys out there it would be scary.

While I don’t think he would ever take the job you’re crazy if you don’t think he’d have them as a top 15-20 defense in 3 years. He’s the best. Look what he’s been able to do with our 3 star guys. If he was getting 4 star guys out there it would be scary.
brian ferentz at osu is an equally scary proposition

• Haha
Reactions: ClarindaA's
I don't think he'd leave. But he's also never really had the opportunity to be a national champion either. A lucrative deal to take one last shot with a team that was basically a dynasty in recent years and could be again if he was a successful building a defense? Then retire richer win or lose?

There dynasty was what 20 years ago now?!

Reactions: jo12208
based on today, with help from the offense we could’ve been enjoyed a lot more shutouts the last few years
Today was a perfect example of how Kirk's model is supposed to work. The O was solid but not sexy. Controlled the LOS, didn't turn the ball over (except for that horrible Hill fart) and ran the ball well. Never gave the other team a chance to get into a rhythm.

You mean the type of loyalty that gets you > 1.2 million for the next 7 years, or the type that gets you 3 million for next year?

Today was a perfect example of how Kirk's model is supposed to work. The O was solid but not sexy. Controlled the LOS, didn't turn the ball over (except for that horrible Hill fart) and ran the ball well. Never gave the other team a chance to get into a rhythm.
That’s why Kirk is the perfect coach to lead Iowa with the transition of the PAC12 teams.

He’ll beat them as much if not more than those 4 schools beat us the next 5 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT