ADVERTISEMENT

Utah may bring back the firing squad

lucas80

HR King
Gold Member
Jan 30, 2008
It's up to the governor now to sign this back into law. Utah had it's last execution by firing squad in 2010. Technically several people on death row can choose this option because it was open to them before the ban went into effect several years ago.
I am left wondering about the people who will pull the triggers. Will officers be given the option of refusing this assignment? Will counseling be open to them, even if they experience trauma years later? Studies have shown that carrying out death assignments causes extreme stress on corrections and law enforcement staff.
What say you HROT? Would you pull the trigger on someone strapped down that poses no risk to you? I could defend myself and my family. I could not shoot someone strapped down.

Link

I was under the impression that some of the rifles are loaded with blanks so the officers never know if they actually fired a bullet. I'm not sure if this helps them psychologically or not. And I'm not sure if it would be significantly more or less traumatic for them than it is for the guy who is administering lethal injections or pulling the lever on Ol' Sparky.

I personally could not do it, but that's one of the many reasons I'm not a corrections officer.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Reactions: onlyTheObvious
They take volunteers(law enforcement) from the jurisdiction where the crime was committed. They have no problem finding enough volunteers. 1 officer is given a "blank" round.

This post was edited on 3/13 9:38 AM by SigMaintHawk

The equipment needed to execute a person by Lethal Injection, or Gas/Electric Chair is in the tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars range.

All you need for a firing squad is 5 guys, 4 rounds($2.97 x 4 = $11.88) and a wall.

Originally posted by lucas80:

Utah had it's last execution by firing squad in 2010.
giphy.gif

Originally posted by 22*43*51:

The equipment needed to execute a person by Lethal Injection, or Gas/Electric Chair is in the tens/hundreds of thousands of dollars range.

All you need for a firing squad is 5 guys, 4 rounds($2.97 x 4 = $11.88) and a wall.
Don't forget about that 25 cents it costs for the little paper target they put over their heart...

I was a little surprised in the way they actually handle the firing sqaud execution... They strap a guy in an old wooden chair( looks like something similar to an electric chair type setup). Put a leather strap across the forehead,place a hood over the guys head, place a paper target over the heart, and fire away. I figured they just stood the guy up with a wall or a stack of sandbags behind them and just blasted away.

It's up to the governor now to sign this back into law. Utah had it's last execution by firing squad in 2010. Technically several people on death row can choose this option because it was open to them before the ban went into effect several years ago.
I am left wondering about the people who will pull the triggers. Will officers be given the option of refusing this assignment? Will counseling be open to them, even if they experience trauma years later? Studies have shown that carrying out death assignments causes extreme stress on corrections and law enforcement staff.
What say you HROT? Would you pull the trigger on someone strapped down that poses no risk to you? I could defend myself and my family. I could not shoot someone strapped down.

Link: Link[/URL]

Depending on the persons crime where there was absolutely no doubt. Yes, i would give the injection/throw the switch/ pull the trigger.

I'm wired differently than the rest of you.

Originally posted by SigMaintHawk:

Originally posted by 22*43*51:

Don't forget about that 25 cents it costs for the little paper target they put over their heart...

I was a little surprised in the way they actually handle the firing sqaud execution... They strap a guy in an old wooden chair( looks like something similar to an electric chair type setup). Put a leather strap across the forehead,place a hood over the guys head, place a paper target over the heart, and fire away. I figured they just stood the guy up with a wall or a stack of sandbags behind them and just blasted away.
Don't forget the last cigarette. What are those these days? $1 a piece?
smokin.r191677.gif

Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

Link: Link

Depending on the persons crime where there was absolutely no doubt. Yes, i would give the injection/throw the switch/ pull the trigger.

I've often wondered how it is that doctors are allowed to participate in those lethal injections. Wouldn't it violate the Hippocratic oath?

It's sad that in 2015 we live in such a barbaric society.

It always amuses me that the same people who scream bloody murder about the Government not being able to run a bake sale are perfectly fine with the State taking the life of one of it's citizens.

Originally posted by slieb85:

It always amuses me that the same people who scream bloody murder about the Government not being able to run a bake sale are perfectly fine with the State taking the life of one of it's citizens.
The sad thing is it doesn't happen more often.

Originally posted by beanerhawk:

Perhaps, but if you feel this way, I would consider you a bloodthirsty barbarian.

ISIS is looking for help, if you're interested.

Originally posted by naturalmwa:
Originally posted by swagsurfer02:

Link: Link

I've often wondered how it is that doctors are allowed to participate in those lethal injections.  Wouldn't it violate the Hippocratic oath?

Good question. They could just get a person who doesn't give a damn (me)

This is all because of the availability of the meds needed to do the injection. The left has tried to kill lethal injection as a way to stop capital punishment and this is the out growth of that. Every action creates an equal and opposite re action.

Originally posted by aflachawk:
This is all because of the availability of the meds needed to do the injection. The left has tried to kill lethal injection as a way to stop capital punishment and this is the out growth of that. Every action creates an equal and opposite re action.
Interestingly, I believe it's mostly the left in other contries where the drugs are made. Some enterprising con should start up a chemical company in America. I thought the market always fixed these things?

This should be supported by those on both sides of the issue. It is quicker, cheaper, and much less likely to cause excruciating pain for the prisoner. It seems clearly less cruel and unusual than the botched attempts at lethal injection. This method also prevents us from shielding ourselves from the reality of capital punishment. If it is going to be allowed, we shouldn't want it to be done silently behind closed doors. Force people to really evaluate their stance.

Perhaps, but if you feel this way, I would consider you a bloodthirsty barbarian.

What happens when the state kills ISIS members? Are we all barbarians then?

If the citizen committed one or more murders, if a citizen brutalizes a child or the elderly, I am OK with it. My compassion extends to the innocent not the guilty

Originally posted by KennyPowers_96:

It's sad that in 2015 we live in such a barbaric society.Â

It always amuses me that the same people who scream bloody murder about the Government not being able to run a bake sale are perfectly fine with the State taking the life of one of it's citizens.Â
The sad thing is it doesn't happen more often.Â

What happens when the state kills ISIS members? Are we all barbarians then?

I don't like "terrorist hunting" one bit. I'm much more of an isolationist than most. But, surely you see a difference between United States military action against non-US citizens and the State of Utah shooting a Utah citizen?

It always amuses me that the same people who scream bloody murder about the Government not being able to run a bake sale are perfectly fine with the State taking the life of one of it's citizens.Â
If the citizen committed one or more murders, if a citizen brutalizes a child or the elderly, I am OK with it. My compassion extends to the innocent not the guilty
Well, that's good for you. I don't think that the State should have the power to take a citizen's life. It's a hard-line stance I take.

Part of that is from the fact that prosecutors/cops/juries/judges get it wrong at an alarming rate. Part of that is my fundamental views on society and politics.

Like I said, Republicans espouse rhetoric that would make you think they would absolutely hate the idea of giving the State power to execute one of their citizens. But, they don't follow their own political philosophies very well, and are weirdly the supporters of this. Democrats don't support it, but it's generally (at least in my experiences) a compassion thing.

I'm not sure why so many Republicans support the death penalty, but I would hypothesize it is due to religion, as that drives a good chunk of their actions.

Well, that's good for you. I don't think that the State should have the power to take a citizen's life. It's a hard-line stance I take.

Part of that is from the fact that prosecutors/cops/juries/judges get it wrong at an alarming rate. Part of that is my fundamental views on society and politics.

Like I said, Republicans espouse rhetoric that would make you think they would absolutely hate the idea of giving the State power to execute one of their citizens. But, they don't follow their own political philosophies very well, and are weirdly the supporters of this. Democrats don't support it, but it's generally (at least in my experiences) a compassion thing.

I'm not sure why so many Republicans support the death penalty, but I would hypothesize it is due to religion, as that drives a good chunk of their actions.
Cops, judges and juries do get it wrong some times but I would not use the word alarming. As far as your screed about lack of compassion, save that lie also. The thing that amazes me is Libs like you are aghast at the barbaric society wee live in(your words) because of the killing of people who took some ones lives but have no compassion for the innocent baby right up to conception who gets his/life ripped away for no other reason than the convenience of the mother.

Cops, judges and juries do get it wrong some times but I would not use the word alarming. As far as your screed about lack of compassion, save that lie also. The thing that amazes me is Libs like you are aghast at the barbaric society wee live in(your words) because of the killing of people who took some ones lives but have no compassion for the innocent baby right up to conception who gets his/life ripped away for no other reason than the convenience of the mother.
Lol, where even to begin.

You might not use the word alarming, but I would. And I think that even one person's life wrongly taken by the State is one too many. Especially when there are alternatives, such as life in prison, which can be alleviated when the mistakes are found out.

Here's 2 articles from a 2 second search on the Northwestern Center for Wrongful Convictions' Twitter account.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/06/woman-exonerated-after-30-years-in-jail-for-76-murder/
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brian-howe/ricky-jackson-how-america_b_6763050.html

I'm sure if I tried harder, we'd find more and more and more mistakes.

Additionally, you have no idea where I stand on abortion. But, I can tell you one thing, I sure as hell wouldn't want the state mandating that someone gets an abortion, which is more akin to the death penalty than what you're trying to say.

You also make no real sense with your "right up to conception" "for no other reason than convenience of the mother".

Either you don't understand the current abortion laws, or you're purposely distorting them. I'm guessing the latter. I support abortion up until the point of viability. That's not "right up to birth" (as I'm sure you were trying to say). That's not taking a human life, because, it's not a viable life at this point.

We live in a society where the State can take the life of one of it's citizens when it has deemed that person guilty. I find that barbaric and evidence of a bloodthirsty society, and frankly of a flawed political setup. You disagree, so be it.

Also, I love how you simple minded morons use "lib" like it's some sort of insult, especially on someone who has hardly voted for any Democrats, at any level, and has never voted for a Democrat president (and probably never will).

Statistically speaking it is impossible to get anything to occur with 100% accuracy.

We could always go back to hanging. A master hangman in the late 1800s to early 1900s knew what he was doing. Quality rope with the correct drop. The length of the drop was very important and the condemned had to be weighed before execution. The best hangmen could cleanly break the neck. If you didn't fit the rope right or misjudged the drop, the person could be suspended there for a little while kicking his legs. Or his head could pop right off his body, and nobody wants to see that.

Originally posted by rchawk:
We could always go back to hanging. A master hangman in the late 1800s to early 1900s knew what he was doing. Quality rope with the correct drop. The length of the drop was very important and the condemned had to be weighed before execution. The best hangmen could cleanly break the neck. If you didn't fit the rope right or misjudged the drop, the person could be suspended there for a little while kicking his legs. Or his head could pop right off his body, and nobody wants to see that.
Related to what you are talking about.... Mitchell Rupe was a convicted killer( shot two bank tellers at point blank range) who was sentenced to death in Wa state around 1981. At that time, hanging was the way Wa executed people...over time Rupe had ballooned up to over 400lbs and pursauded a jury/judge that he was too fat to hang and the possibility of his head being ripped off due to hanging would be cruel and unusual punishment. His sentence was lowered to life without parole... He later died in prison due to Liver disease. At the time of his death, his weight was alot lower... 250-270lbs...

They take volunteers(law enforcement) from the jurisdiction where the crime was committed. They have no problem finding enough volunteers. 1 officer is given a "blank" round.

You are guessing that they have no shortage of volunteers. Firing squad executions are so infrequent there can't be too much statistical or anecdotal evidence about the number of volunteers. I am guessing, but, I think the number might be dwindling.
I also wonder about the blank round. I am by no means a gun expert, but, I though blanks fired differently. That would take away the chance to each shooter thinking they might not have fired the fatal bullet. Since there are usually 5+ shooters, statistically you know you are most likely firing a kill shot.

You are guessing that they have no shortage of volunteers. Firing squad executions are so infrequent there can't be too much statistical or anecdotal evidence about the number of volunteers. I am guessing, but, I think the number might be dwindling.
I also wonder about the blank round. I am by no means a gun expert, but, I though blanks fired differently. That would take away the chance to each shooter thinking they might not have fired the fatal bullet. Since there are usually 5+ shooters, statistically you know you are most likely firing a kill shot.
I used the Utah politician quoted in your article for that info. He was on "All In with Chris Hayes" Weds night, discussing this issue...

I used the Utah politician quoted in your article for that info. He was on "All In with Chris Hayes" Weds night, discussing this issue...
5 years have passed since they've used the pool. Utah also passed an anti-discrimination law that protects gays that was signed into law by the Governor yesterday. Things change in 5 years. And, I don't think anyone pro-firing squad would come out and admit they are having trouble finding volunteers.
It becomes harder and harder to find people who will pull the trigger on a man strapped down.

5 years have passed since they've used the pool. Utah also passed an anti-discrimination law that protects gays that was signed into law by the Governor yesterday. Things change in 5 years. And, I don't think anyone pro-firing squad would come out and admit they are having trouble finding volunteers.
It becomes harder and harder to find people who will pull the trigger on a man strapped down.
When they start blasting these pieces of crap at a regular pace..we will here stories about if it was hard or not to find volunteers . Aren't you guessing when you state this as a known fact-" It becomes harder and harder to find people who will pull the trigger on a man strapped down"? How do you know that? How do you know what the law enforcement personnel in any jurisdiction of a condemned man in Utah, is currently thinking?

The riflemen should be LEOs who know how to shoot. If you send out a state-wide email to them, give them $200 plus expenses, you will get six. In Utah and probably most if not all states.

I would guess its going to be one of two calibers .308 or .30-06. Both are military calibers and have an established track record of giving one a case of the deads. It isn't like they would allow someone out there with a .22 or even a .223.

I'm going to guess you didn't find it against your hard-line stance when Obama droned the U.S. citizen Al Alwaki (Spelling?, whatever his name was) without a trial?

Am I wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT