ADVERTISEMENT

Utah may bring back the firing squad

Originally posted by SigMaintHawk:

Originally posted by rchawk:
We could always go back to hanging. A master hangman in the late 1800s to early 1900s knew what he was doing. Quality rope with the correct drop. The length of the drop was very important and the condemned had to be weighed before execution. The best hangmen could cleanly break the neck. If you didn't fit the rope right or misjudged the drop, the person could be suspended there for a little while kicking his legs. Or his head could pop right off his body, and nobody wants to see that.
Related to what you are talking about.... Mitchell Rupe was a convicted killer( shot two bank tellers at point blank range) who was sentenced to death in Wa state around 1981. At that time, hanging was the way Wa executed people...over time Rupe had ballooned up to over 400lbs and pursauded a jury/judge that he was too fat to hang and the possibility of his head being ripped off due to hanging would be cruel and unusual punishment. His sentence was lowered to life without parole... He later died in prison due to Liver disease. At the time of his death, his weight was alot lower... 250-270lbs...

This is a little off topic, but I'm sort of surprised a guy in prison would have access to enough calories to get that fat. Seems to me the prison warden should be fired.

Reactions: lucas80
Originally posted by IMCC965:
Originally posted by slieb85:

Originally posted by aflachawk:

Originally posted by slieb85:
It's sad that in 2015 we live in such a barbaric society.Â

It always amuses me that the same people who scream bloody murder about the Government not being able to run a bake sale are perfectly fine with the State taking the life of one of it's citizens.Â
If the citizen committed one or more murders, if a citizen brutalizes a child or the elderly, I am OK with it. My compassion extends to the innocent not the guilty

Posted from Rivals Mobile
Well, that's good for you. I don't think that the State should have the power to take a citizen's life. It's a hard-line stance I take.

Part of that is from the fact that prosecutors/cops/juries/judges get it wrong at an alarming rate. Part of that is my fundamental views on society and politics.

Like I said, Republicans espouse rhetoric that would make you think they would absolutely hate the idea of giving the State power to execute one of their citizens. But, they don't follow their own political philosophies very well, and are weirdly the supporters of this. Democrats don't support it, but it's generally (at least in my experiences) a compassion thing.

I'm not sure why so many Republicans support the death penalty, but I would hypothesize it is due to religion, as that drives a good chunk of their actions.
I'm going to guess you didn't find it against your hard-line stance when Obama droned the U.S. citizen Al Alwaki (Spelling?, whatever his name was) without a trial?

Am I wrong?
Yes, you are wrong. As per usual. I hated that move by the administration.

Libs enjoy making the death penalty expensive so that they can say it costs more to execute than it does to impose a life sentence. They are sympathetic to murderers and other guilty criminals because of the racial makeup of those people. They don't seem to have an ounce of sympathy for the victims.

I'm in favor of executing a murderer in the same fashion that he murdered his victims.

Note:That prisoner that gained all that weight on prison food should have been put on a forced diet and then hanged.

Originally posted by lucas80:

It's up to the governor now to sign this back into law. Utah had it's last execution by firing squad in 2010. Technically several people on death row can choose this option because it was open to them before the ban went into effect several years ago.
I am left wondering about the people who will pull the triggers. Will officers be given the option of refusing this assignment? Will counseling be open to them, even if they experience trauma years later? Studies have shown that carrying out death assignments causes extreme stress on corrections and law enforcement staff.
What say you HROT? Would you pull the trigger on someone strapped down that poses no risk to you? I could defend myself and my family. I could not shoot someone strapped down.
I was under the impression that the guest of honor at the shooting party had been fairly judged by a group of his or her peers and found guilty of some heinous capital crime?

Did I miss something in the Pollyanna version of life by Lucas80?

They take volunteers(law enforcement) from the jurisdiction where the crime was committed. They have no problem finding enough volunteers. 1 officer is given a "blank" round.

This post was edited on 3/13 9:38 AM by SigMaintHawk
I've always been curious about this. Unless there is some special round or gun used the felt recoil is different between a live round and a blank. Always thought the shooters would know whether they were firing live rounds or blanks.

execution by firing squad is now done with remote guns firing at the condemned is what I remember hearing.

I’d give them an injection of fentanyl to end it quick and easy.

Seems like a couple pounds of C4 exploding next to the condemned would be quick and painless. Do it out in a desert or something.

I am against the death penalty because of judicial system but I think the quickest way to die would be the best.

6cba45c2dddd5d8b035f519e02521130bbf25f28.gifv

I was under the impression that the guest of honor at the shooting party had been fairly judged by a group of his or her peers and found guilty of some heinous capital crime?

Did I miss something in the Pollyanna version of life by Lucas80?
Oh, Arb, I miss you too so much.

• Haha
Reactions: stickman80
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT