ADVERTISEMENT

Utah St continued the box loading, what will Brian Ferentz do to counter it?

If Kirk and Brian have not noticed this yet, opponents keep loading the box on Iowa, especially on first down and 2nd and 3rd and short. When we had great OLines we could overcome that but not the last couple of years and it doesnt look like this OLine can blow teams off the line.

Will Brian F get a first down passing game going and working? We have very good running backs but we can also get them the ball in space, out on the wings or as simple safety valve type passes. Cade is the most accurate passer we have had since CJB.

How many times have we seen jNW have a running back just run toward the sideline, camp out, and if need be their QB just dumps it to them, they make a guy miss, and they get good yards. The pros, in pro style offenses, do it all the time.

We did it a few times yesterday but we dont throw enough on first down to back the defense out of the box.

I liked the little wrinkle they did with the screen pass where it was set up for the receiver to catch the ball a little closer to the LOS, that was a good wrinkle.

Kirk, throw it more on first down with simple high percentage passes to set up the run
I could put 11 sixth grade girls out there and stop our pathetic, predictable offense.

Sad part is. How many times we did try and have an incomplete 1st down pass and like clock work we run on 2nd and 10 for 2-3 yards. Article end of 21’ season guy on black heart gold pants broke it down and BF dialed up a run on 80% of 2nd and 10 in this scenario.

People can argue the players don’t execute well enough but there in lies the problem when our OC doesn’t put them in the position for success when he keeps trying to fit a square peg into a round hole with his play calls.
^This. So f@cking this!

How many times does Iowa throw incomplete on first down then the QB goes under center on second down and hands off? The same is true if there is a first down run that gets stuffed. Brian automatically dials up a pass out of the shotgun.

So f@cking predictable!

Our receivers are fine. Brian has no feel for calling a game and sticks to his tendencies to a fault. If you watched a few Iowa games, you can guess Iowa’s next play/concept 90% of the time. It’s unreal how predictable Iowa is and every team we play knows it. Makes it even more important for the guys to be basically perfect to get anything to work.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
The Quad is obviously still an issue.
Yeah, we all knew it was going to be a thing. They said he was limited. He looked as good or better on it than I’d hoped, but not as good as it could be.

Ferentz always keeps the playbook very vanilla on week one against an inferior opponent, and especially when Iowa State is next week. No need to give them an extra game film I suppose.
I used to believe this was the case. But I don’t think they have that many tricks in their bag. Felix the Cat they ain’t.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
I’m not convinced Lachey is a great blocker either. Great at catching passes for sure.
I will have to watch his blocking as I really havent focused on it. Hockenson and Kittle were awesome blockers, like great Olinemen but quicker and faster feet.

I’d like to see a QB with the authorization and ability to audible.
I sort of think they can but I am sure it is within some type rules, like the called play is run to the left but QB sees too many defenders there so he can check to a different run.

I dont think Kirk is giving the QBs all the keys to offense as audibles

We’re fine. Kept it plain vanilla for Iowa State film room. Next week, the skill level of this team will be revealed.
I have heard the "keep it vanilla" line before.......but doesn't it pretty much stay vanilla the whole season? Does the playbook "open up" for ISU and Big 10 games?

Not trying to be a wise guy....maybe some folks who pay more attention than me can chime in.

Last edited:
I have heard the "keep it vanilla" line before.......but doesn't it pretty much stay vanilla the whole season?

Not trying to be a wise guy....maybe some folks who pay more attention than me can chime in.
I have never noticed Iowa's offense improving dramatically from game one. I think it is a myth like the great OL coaching.

Guy constantly looks constipated on the sideline, get this dude some Metamucil

I used to believe this was the case. But I don’t think they have that many tricks in their bag. Felix the Cat they ain’t.
I agree, but that doesn’t mean what I said was wrong and our coaches don’t still believe this lol.

It happens. Maybe you have worked for an organization where the CEO pointedly calls out a key supervisor then humiliates or otherwise embarrasses him before a company wide meeting.

That happened to Brian. Barta talked about dissatisfaction with the offense’s production then publicly announced a pay cut and a new, very specific performance standard.

If you are the targeted employee you can either react by doubling your efforts and innovating new strategies to meet the challenge or, stung by the humiliation, stubbornly refuse to change.

Brian appears to be the employee that digs in and stubbornly resists changing.

Of course, the whole episode could have been a sham performance by the CEO and supervisor in order to appear to be doing something constructive because the stockholders are not happy.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
I have heard the "keep it vanilla" line before.......but doesn't it pretty much stay vanilla the whole season? Does the playbook "open up" for ISU and Big 10 games?

We’ll be talking about the 1 trick play against Penn St where Petras hit Ragaini and then say Brian had been laying low all season for that play. It’s so damn funny.

Anytime you run the ball against 7- and 8-man fronts with 11 personnel, you are being stubborn.
I won’t argue with that, and he does it at the dumbest times.

He very much does not attempt “establish the run.” He does indeed act like it’s illegal to run the ball more than two plays in a row. It rarely happens, even when it’s working. He often inexplicably completely abandons the run in very close games.

Wisconsin establishes the run. They can get stuffed for 3 quarters, but they continue to run the ball. Reliably in the fourth quarter it nearly always starts to churn, regardless of their opponent. Even with their new OC, they did it again this weekend. That, is establishing the run.

You are correct. Remember, that Iowa's defense many times has trouble with the wide receiver screen early in games but then they start to shut it down with some quick and simple adjustments like moving your safeties and outside lkbrs/cash a step more to the outside. And DEnds with speed can easily see that coming and go out and help

When Iowa has 1 running back 1 TEnd and 3 wide receivers then one of those receivers is in the slot and a yard off the LOS. And when teams also have 8 in the box or even 7, that slot receiver can catch a pass and just juke one guy for a 5 yard gain or better. So you are right, quick slants, the old button hook or sit down patterns will work.

Do you ever watch the KC Chiefs and how Kelce can go down 3 yards, stop in an open area, get a quick pass, pivot and even if tackled he falls forwar for 5 total yards. A lot of NFL teams do it. No reason Lachey and All cant do the same thing from a slot position on first down. After that works a bunch of times the defense will have to walk out their lbkrs and safeties to cover those passes.

That is when the QB counts the helmets in the box and audibles to pass or run
This. Have to get creative to open up the run. Teams will do anything to stop Iowa's run first.

Our receivers are fine. Brian has no feel for calling a game and sticks to his tendencies to a fault. If you watched a few Iowa games, you can guess Iowa’s next play/concept 90% of the time. It’s unreal how predictable Iowa is and every team we play knows it. Makes it even more important for the guys to be basically perfect to get anything to work.
The thing that drives me nuts is that after all of this, he'll still give an arrogant interview like he's the smartest man in the room.

Yes, I'm speculating he won't play vs. ISU because he reinjured his quad.
I’d agree if he’d come out of the game, but he stayed in, and then led them to a TD on the next drive.

He’s not right, but if he was staying in against Utah State, I suspect he’ll play 7 days later against ISU.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT