ADVERTISEMENT

UWW Junior Freestyle Thread

Happel has been pretty disappointing the last couple of years considering he was a cadet world member.

giphy.gif
Not as bad as a spladle.
CdZeu6wVIAElM6s.jpg

Marinelli got taken down and leg laced for 4. Then he was in good position to get a TD but Hall countered for a TD and leg laced him for the TF.

Young looked very good. Was attacking and ahead with time running out and got taken down off his own shot.

Young was the better wrestler but just outsized and outmuscled. Very optimistic on him. Just needs to add good weight and muscle.

Hall has Marinelli's number. Marinelli can take down anybody not named Hall. Hall just has every counter for Marinelli's offense. Hall is bigger though and they will probably never be at the same weight.

I watched a lot of Marinelli and Young this weekend...Young does look small, but I didn't really think Marinelli did. He's kinda shorter than most, but he's thicker than most too. I thought he, McFadden, and Hall all looked the same weight. Of course Hall is a pretty small 174, but still a 174 in folk. As far as Hall having his number though? Hall is freakin Houdini, his takedown defense (or should I say offense because he always seems to turn another guys shot into his takedown) is just flat out amazing!

The Bull looked really good and I think he'll make a great (and appropriate sized) 165 lber for you guys. Young is the sleeper on your roster though IMO...wish he could go down to 165 because that definitely looks to be his more suitable weight - he was pretty damn good this weekend and I was hoping to see him win it all.

EDIT...I'm admitting to rooting for Iowa kids?!?! That's it, no beers until after 4pm from now on!

Marinelli is not a big 163 and Hall is a good sized 163. Hall is a world class FS wrestler and Marinelli has limited FS experience. Hall just won the NCAA title at 11 pounds higher than Marinelli competed at during a RS season. There was really nothing that pointed to anything other than the end result.

Marinelli is not a big 163 and Hall is a good sized 163. Hall is a world class FS wrestler and Marinelli has limited FS experience. Hall just won the NCAA title at 11 pounds higher than Marinelli competed at during a RS season. There was really nothing that pointed to anything other than the end result.
Yeah but when you put it like that it's harder to rub our noses in it

Reactions: Chuck C
Marinelli did not look small to me. I could understand saying Marinelli looked a little short. Only in the finals, did he look noticeably smaller, but Hall won a NCAA title at 174 just a few weeks ago, so by time the finals rolled around he was most likely 5 or so pounds heavier than Marinelli. I completely disagree with the poster who said he is "severely undersized." Is he going to be a huge 165? No. However, I have to disagree with the people who are saying he will be an undersized 165 next year. In my opinion, he will be a full sized 165 next season and won't be horsed around by anyone other than IMAR (who is freakishly strong). He will be very competitive with the very top guys at 165. Heck he just beat former AA McFadden today in a style he is relatively new too.

Now Young on the other hand did look small. I agree with the posters that are saying he needs to hit the weight room over the next eight months and add some good weight before he will be a full 174.

However, take a look around at the freshmen that were very successful this year:

Hall was a "small" 174.
Joesph was a "small" 165.
Moore was a "tiny" 197.
Picic was a "small" 133 (However, 125 was available if he wanted to come down and he didn't so...).
Amine was a "tiny" 165 (was a 157 recruit, who would have preferred to go 165 this year, but Massa is there so...).
Eierman was a "small" 141 (he actually competed at 133 for a good portion of the season).
Pletcher was a "small" 141 (also competed at 133 and only came up because of an injury to Hayes at 141).
Kemerer was a "small" 157 (at least according to many on this board, or at least a very vocal contingent).

Really of the successful Freshmen this year, only Massa and the Valencia's looked like "good" sized wrestlers for their weight class. Obviously, this is subjective and other people may have different opinions, but in my opinion cutting too much weight is the biggest factor is "ruining" good recruits. A constant difficult weight cut has a major negative impact on wrestlers love for the sport. There are too many examples of this to even name.

Plus, of course at the heavyweight division, Snyder, Kasper, and Walz are all "undersized" (Walz to a lesser extent now, but still weighed in at 237, although he looks a lot bigger) all compete at 97 for Freestyle/Greco.

I think Kemerer, Marinelli, and Young will all be more than fine by next season at their respective weights and each will be competitive with the very best at their weight class.

4 titles in 1A vs. No titles in 3A. Laughable. When will people start to realize Happel isn't going to be the man? He's maxed out. No more age advantage and wrestling in 1A.
I wonder how many 1A kids he ran into winning at Fargo and as a member of the Cadet World Freestyle team oversea's?

Granted, it ain't Folkstyle, but that's a decent showing.

Reactions: el dub
I wonder how many 1A kids he ran into winning at Fargo and as a member of the Cadet World Freestyle team oversea's?

I'm guessing Shaw cut a few pounds to get to make weight and doubt Happel cut anything, but who knows? (Shaw is projected at 149 and was competing at 145?)

Happel is a bit of an unknown, at this point. Unfortunately, Turk is, too.

That was a Cadet title and years ago. I think Happel is who he is. He won't be a savior as some have insinuated over and over again on this board. I get the whole he's a Lisbon kid and all angle. I see a maxed out very old for his grade kid with average athleticism, and someone who's not particularly strong in neutral, or top, or bottom, or scrambling. And at 141 you better be an above average athlete and know how to scramble to reach the podium. BTW, I do think younger brother Cael is the better prospect. He's someone the Lisbon faithful can get behind.

4 titles in 1A vs. No titles in 3A. Laughable. When will people start to realize Happel isn't going to be the man? He's maxed out. No more age advantage and wrestling in 1A.

That was a Cadet title and years ago. I think Happel is who he is. He won't be a savior as some have insinuated over and over again on this board. I get the whole he's a Lisbon kid and all angle. I see a maxed out very old for his grade kid with average athleticism, and someone who's not particularly strong in neutral, or top, or bottom, or scrambling. And at 141 you better be an above average athlete and know how to scramble to reach the podium. BTW, I do think younger brother Cael is the better prospect. He's someone the Lisbon faithful can get behind.

Yeah so let's hate on his older brother because I'm sure that will make him love to wrestle in college in front of fans like you dude. Get a life

Not sure I've seen the level of praise that you claim has been there. And your last comment is beyond odd. Why can't they get behind Happel or any other kid from Lisbon even if they are a D3 backup?

If I remember right you have had a hard on for this kid for a few years now. It's a little strange if you ask me.

Yeah so let's hate on his older brother because I'm sure that will make him love to wrestle in college in front of fans like you dude. Get a life
Yeah -- don't want to be confrontational and everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it's always best to be positive and supportive of our guys. Just don't seen anything constructive about going out of our way to be negative.

Hall is just flat out a lot better than him. If Hall was a weight class lower and wrestling up it still wouldn't make a difference. That's a not a knock on him or anyone else around that weight just the obvious truth.

Besides that, Alex looked outstanding all tournament. He gets to the legs extremely well and is a good finisher. If he keeps improving at this rate he can see himself on the podium in the 5-8 range.

Reactions: IAChief32
Hall is just flat out a lot better than him. If Hall was a weight class lower and wrestling up it still wouldn't make a difference. That's a not a knock on him or anyone else around that weight just the obvious truth.

Besides that, Alex looked outstanding all tournament. He gets to the legs extremely well and is a good finisher. If he keeps improving at this rate he can see himself on the podium in the 5-8 range.

Marinelli is going to have a great career at Iowa. Just the kind of recruit we need.

That said, Hall is in a league by himself. World Jr FS gold medalist, teching the opponent in the JR World finals, followed by ncaa champ as a true fr.

Except for winning the World Jr FS Gold medal, which happened before he entered PSU, it sure is amazing how Cael has developed Hall. o_O

ADVERTISEMENT