ADVERTISEMENT

UWW New Weight Categories

They are junior eligible but they are seniors. Last Olympics was 25, 25, 21, 20, 20, 25 avg. 22.6. So far this year 23, 26, 22, 23 with 5 of the 8 finalist 23 or younger. The older champs jumped onto the scene when they were 20-21.

No doubt there's a lot of young talent at the senior level today. That has not been the norm.

Not quite sure why some of you are advocating for this. Look at our recent history for medals in the USA. The new upper weights only help us.

The numbers on the average weight in the world are tremendously skewed by Asian countries so they will be the ones benefiting the most if they added 55kg and other low weights.
FWIW I'm not advocating any change, just disputng this:
Grown adults wrestling at around 117-118 lbs? Doesn't seem like that would be high quality wrestling.

Reactions: el dub
UWW needs to compete all 10 weights for Olympics. I'm glad there's progress but it's not good enough. Even if Spooner won't concede a lighter weight, there's no excuse for not getting 10 weights into Olympic competition.

Agreed. It is just my POV that the talent pool would be very thin and they should look elsewhere if a weight is added. It's an opinion, right or wrong.

Interesting that they will allow +2 Kg on second day weighins in 2018, but that ends in 2019.

Ordered par terre is back in Greco :rolleyes:
Ordered par terre is probably a good thing. Some of the top Greco guys are almost unstoppable in par terre. When you wrestle them you cannot take the risk of getting taken down. Dance, push, fake, rinse and repeat. Once you know that you will be under them if you do not score your real attempts will increase.

They can go down to 50 lbs and up as high as 500 lbs for all I care. If they added 20 more weights, that's more exposure to wrestling and that is good

Reactions: Descat1
I know wrestlers consider an olympic title as the pinnacle of the sport...but why is it any more prestigious than World title? in this day and age I have become less and less enamored with the Olympics as they have pretty much become politicised and commercialized to the point of being corrupt....I think the UWW needs to focus on whats good for the sport regardless of what the Olympics do...I mean the olympics were considering dropping wrestling a few years ago in favor of what some weird kind of skiing and shooting sport....some "extreme" sports like snowboarding??? I feel like if the olympics wants to have the sport of wrestling they need to conform to the standards of the UWW

I know wrestlers consider an olympic title as the pinnacle of the sport...but why is it any more prestigious than World title? in this day and age I have become less and less enamored with the Olympics as they have pretty much become politicised and commercialized to the point of being corrupt....I think the UWW needs to focus on whats good for the sport regardless of what the Olympics do...I mean the olympics were considering dropping wrestling a few years ago in favor of what some weird kind of skiing and shooting sport....some "extreme" sports like snowboarding??? I feel like if the olympics wants to have the sport of wrestling they need to conform to the standards of the UWW
As great as all that sounds wrestling needs the Olympics, not the other way around. Exposure and funding for both individuals and national programs. There are world championships in other sports every year but if Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt were winning world titles instead of Olympic titles every 4th year they would both be a lot less wealthy and we likely would have never heard of either of em.

As great as all that sounds wrestling needs the Olympics, not the other way around. Exposure and funding for both individuals and national programs. There are world championships in other sports every year but if Michael Phelps and Usain Bolt were winning world titles instead of Olympic titles every 4th year they would both be a lot less wealthy and we likely would have never heard of either of em.

What weights did those guys wrestle? o_O

I agree to a point but since when has an Olympic wrestling champion received the exposure of Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt....our sport like it or not has a certain base of support and they need to concentrate on that and hopefully grow it

I agree to a point but since when has an Olympic wrestling champion received the exposure of Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt....our sport like it or not has a certain base of support and they need to concentrate on that and hopefully grow it
True. Our guys have not and likely never will get that type of exposure. Those 2 are the extreme and I was using them to point out the positives the Olympics has on "niche" sports. The biggest gain is momentum and exposure for funding the national programs. I believe USAW receives funding or at least fund raising assistance drom the machine that is the US Olympic Committee. As corrupt and shady as the IOC is, there is a reason world bodies in just about every sport are jumping through hoops to either stay in or get in bed with them. Money.

Reactions: natchrlman
sadly ask anyone if they know who Kyle Snyder is...unless they are a wrestling fan they wouldnt know....then mention Michael Phelps....everyone knows who he is....I just think the wrestling community needs to look out for itself and do whats best for the sport

I think if wrestling didn't have the Olympics, a huge number of college programs would go away.

Yea ....I'm not suggesting pulling out of the Olympics but I think the IOC should conform to the standards of the UWW....weight classes included.... but I'm pretty sure what I think doesn't matter much :)

Well, it's partly more prestigious because people consider it to be so.

Why is an NCAA title more prestigious than a Big 10 title if the top 4 guys are the same at both? It shouldn't be, but it is, right?

I'm one for promoting the world championships of all Olympic sports, and I think that they are generally underrated, but you also have to acknowledge that due to the notoriety of the Olympics, certain athletes will choose to come back or peak solely for the Olympics, so the Olympic year (and the world championships the year prior) usually have the strongest fields of athletes. Conversely, the world championships year after the Olympics often has the weakest field of the quad.

tl;dr There is a gap between the Olympics and the world championships, but the gap is greatly over-exaggerated for all practical purposes.

Yea I've said for years the big ten tournament is almost a tougher tournament than nationals

The world championships in track are the same way they are highly regarded but not like the olympics its like a precurser to the olympics... I dont like it because they almost replaced the greatest and oldest sport known to man with skateboarding or something like that so obviously I live in the wrong place in time.

Reactions: natchrlman
The IOC is corrupt and politicized ....its sad actually softball and baseball should be in there too

Reactions: Grip220
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT