ADVERTISEMENT

Va Tech loses Track championship due to taunting

BelemNole

HR Legend
Mar 29, 2002
Well, actually he cost the entire team a Conference Championship. As a professional, he would have only cost himself some money.
The line of value to those two things is not a straight clear line.

Freshman won the 400 by a few strides and then turned and talked trash to the 2nd place finisher. Was deemed "misconduct" and they lost all 10 points for the win, dropping them from 1st to 5th.

Ooopsie!

Too bad he didn’t flash his ring finger

Freshman won the 400 by a few strides and then turned and talked trash to the 2nd place finisher. Was deemed "misconduct" and they lost all 10 points for the win, dropping them from 1st to 5th.

Ooopsie!

I saw the DQ in flash results, but there are no details given there. I didn’t see a reason to also DQ the Clemons kid.
Edit- apparently not the second place kid, as he was elevated to first and the third placer was elevated to second.
This gain in points eventually helped the tiggers to the title over FSU by one point.

Last edited:
552bf43b69bedd9d61bd511f

tenor.gif

Pretty weak?
I bet the kid thought trash-talking was encouraged!
If you win a race, act like you have done it before.
yeah, all things considered it was a weak taunt and it cost them a natty. That was nothing compared to what we saw during the women's basketball natty.

That being said, there are rules and if you break them there are consequences.

Ooopsie!

Not sure how this is materially different from the Angel Reese taunting, which I recall you staunchly defended. Or, maybe you think this is okay too.

Not sure how this is materially different from the Angel Reese taunting, which I recall you staunchly defended. Or, maybe you think this is okay too.
Man you all are thin skinned on this issue.
My point was that what she did was hardly different than what your girl had been doing.
If the refs wanted to toss both I'd be fine with it. But you all bitching about one while thinking the other was awesome was rich.

Man you all are thin skinned on this issue.
My point was that what she did was hardly different than what your girl had been doing.
If the refs wanted to toss both I'd be fine with it. But you all bitching about one while thinking the other was awesome was rich.
And as pointed out ad nauseum in that thread, despite Clark diffusing the situation by diving on the grenade, their conduct was different. I am just seeing if you have a problem with what this guy did, and if not, how you square that with Angel's actions.

And as pointed out ad nauseum in that thread, despite Clark diffusing the situation by diving on the grenade, their conduct was different. I am just seeing if you have a problem with what this guy did, and if not, how you square that with Angel's actions.
I'm fine with what happened to the track guy.
Of course you see it as your girl's taunting was different than the other girl's taunting.

I think he was just as tacky as Clarke.
Clever. You already said you are "fine with what happened to the track guy", and also fine with nothing happening to Angel. Just trying to understand why the gloating is countenanced in one situation but not the other.

Its definitely not the worst taunting I've ever seen in sports. But every sport has its own culture and its own standards for behavior. In some sports, like basketball, hockey, and football, taunting or "chirping" is a big part of the culture. But just because it’s part of the culture of some sports, doesn't mean that it is acceptable in all sports. I cannot recall ever seeing someone taunt an opponent in any event that involves getting to a finish line first. It’s just not part of the culture of those sports. And if there is a rule against it, then I don't see why anyone would have an issue with it being applied. It hardly seems controversial to me to enforce a rule.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT