ADVERTISEMENT

Va Tech loses Track championship due to taunting

Man, Iowa wrestling would be in major trouble if that standard was applied evenly across all sports lmao

True, but there have always been a variety standards of sportsmanship across sports. Running sports traditionally have pretty high expectations of conduct, and tbh I like it that way.

Reactions: Scruddy
Normalize taunting in sports. It makes it more entertaining to play and watch.
Don't you get it? Sports are all about class, sportsmanship, acting like a stiff 100% of the time. Never show any emotion at any point.

Then afterwards we all get in a circle & sing kumbaya. And we sing it with class. Class I say!

• Wow
Reactions: DolphLundgren
Clever. You already said you are "fine with what happened to the track guy", and also fine with nothing happening to Angel. Just trying to understand why the gloating is countenanced in one situation but not the other.
Right. I'm fine with what happened to the track guy.
I'm also fine that neither Clark or Angel were penalized for their taunting.
I think it's tacky, but it's part of basketball.
I'm sorry if the issues are too complex for you to understand beyond "their girl bad, our girl good."

Right. I'm fine with what happened to the track guy.
I'm also fine that neither Clark or Angel were penalized for their taunting.
I think it's tacky, but it's part of basketball.
I'm sorry if the issues are too complex for you to understand beyond "their girl bad, our girl good."
I was with you until your last sentence. You just can't help yourself with ad hominem attacks. I am comfortable with our relative abilities to process complex fact patterns, and will leave it at that.

I'm fine with what happened to the track guy.
Of course you see it as your girl's taunting was different than the other girl's taunting.
When did Clark taunt anyone? She did make a "you can't see me" gesture, yes. But she was well away from any opponent and on her way to Iowa bench at the time. She did not, to my knowledge, ever get up in someone's face with any type of taunt. Context matters.

What Reese did, particularly as she pursued Clark, was quite similar to the track guy that got disqualified. If Reese had made a celebratory gesture while back at her bench, etc, no one would know, nor would they care.

I was with you until your last sentence. You just can't help yourself with ad hominem attacks. I am comfortable with our relative abilities to process complex fact patterns, and will leave it at that.
I find it amusing that you are opposed to ad hominem attacks considering most of the previous thread about it was attacks on me.

• Haha
When did Clark taunt anyone? She did make a "you can't see me" gesture, yes. But she was well away from any opponent and on her way to Iowa bench at the time. She did not, to my knowledge, ever get up in someone's face with any type of taunt. Context matters.

What Reese did, particularly as she pursued Clark, was quite similar to the track guy that got disqualified. If Reese had made a celebratory gesture while back at her bench, etc, no one would know, nor would they care.
Right, your girl good, other girl bad.
I'm familiar with the position you all hold.

I find it amusing that you are opposed to ad hominem attacks considering most of the previous thread about it was attacks on me.
I mean, I'm not perfect but I try not to do that. Perusing that thread I think the worst things I said were that you (1) have an issue with conflation, and that (2) all you could do in that thread was commit logical fallacies and use haha emojis. Both were fair assessments, but perhaps should have been left unstated.

81217962.jpg

I mean, I'm not perfect but I try not to do that. Perusing that thread I think the worst things I said were that you (1) have an issue with conflation, and that (2) all you could do in that thread was commit logical fallacies and use haha emojis. Both were fair assessments, but perhaps should have been left unstated.
Well, we are both confident in our position so typically some shade gets thrown around.
I honestly find it amusing how worked up you all get over the fact that I see actions as similar.
Hence the laughing.

• Haha
Don't you get it? Sports are all about class, sportsmanship, acting like a stiff 100% of the time. Never show any emotion at any point.

Then afterwards we all get in a circle & sing kumbaya. And we sing it with class. Class I say!
In track and field you are allowed to show a lot of emotion. But that emotion should be in celebrating victory or suffering in defeat. Even showboating is readily accepted if it is an outward display to the crowd. Usain Bolt was a heck of a showboater, but he is beloved because he played to the crowd who celebrated his greatness.
594a11fd725e25cad5263f95

We also celebrated with FloJo, Michael Johnson, Carl Lewis, Gail Devers, etc.

This going after another competitor is absolutely not acceptable on the track. And likely will come back and bite you at some point in the future. Either a DQ like this case, or the competitor doing everything to beat you the next time.

Well, we are both confident in our position so typically some shade gets thrown around.
I honestly find it amusing how worked up you all get over the fact that I see actions as similar.
Hence the laughing.
I bet if track guy waved his hand in front of his face or any other taunting while over by his team mates it wouldn’t have been called. Doing it in someone’s face is a different story. Both are uncalled for. One is different than the other.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
I bet if track guy waved his hand in front of his face or any other taunting while over by his team mates it wouldn’t have been called. Doing it in someone’s face is a different story. Both are uncalled for. One is different than the other.
I agree that it might not have been a penalty.
I agree the both are uncalled for.
I do not buy the revisionist history that Clarke was directing it at her bench so that you all can feel ok about it.
I also acknowledge that it's part of basketball culture.

I do not buy the revisionist history that Clarke was directing it at her bench so that you all can feel ok about it.

So Clark was lying when she said she did it to one of her coaches before the South Carolina game?

Clarke also didn't do it right in anyone’s face either. But that’s enough on that subject.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Freshman won the 400 by a few strides and then turned and talked trash to the 2nd place finisher. Was deemed "misconduct" and they lost all 10 points for the win, dropping them from 1st to 5th.

Ooopsie!

This is why the ncaa is pathetic

Hence the laughing.
It's very similar to when I use to make fun of Famous Jameis for stealing crab legs, and all you Noles got your panties in a bunch every darn time. Made me laugh a lot.

I like people talking shit during sports, makes it better. Obviously you can go over board but this is nothing lol.
Honestly, track is an endeavor where confidence and non vocal intimidation plays a part prior to the starting line.
If the governing body does not tolerate post race show outs is up to said body.

But I'm not. You all are homers. It's perfectly understandable.
Holy fućk. I can’t believe people need to be told to do this exercise… imagine Iowa is up 20 with nearly no time on the clock and Caitlin Clark is stalking Angel Reese with taunts.

Take five fücking seconds and imagine that. You don’t think Clark would be the object of much (deserved) criticism?

Shit, with the makeup of Iowa roster, people would be wondering if Caitlin doing such a thing was suspicious of some possible racism.

Nobody is mad at Angel Reese for talking trash. It’s the circumstances. And it’s that Caitlin hadn’t talked trash to or provoked Reese.

For fúck sakes, context matters. Quit with this stupid fûcking false equivalency bullshit.

Holy fućk. I can’t believe people need to be told to do this exercise… imagine Iowa is up 20 with nearly no time on the clock and Caitlin Clark is stalking Angel Reese with taunts.

Take five fücking seconds and imagine that. You don’t think Clark would be the object of much (deserved) criticism?

Shit, with the makeup of Iowa roster, people would be wondering if Caitlin doing such a thing was suspicious of some possible racism.

Nobody is mad at Angel Reese for talking trash. It’s the circumstances. And it’s that Caitlin hadn’t talked trash to or provoked Reese.

For fúck sakes, context matters. Quit with this stupid fûcking false equivalency bullshit.
Like arguing with a post

Right, you girl was innocent - just having fun with her bench.
Their player was a monster stalking your fresh faced star.
I'm familiar with the argument. It was repeated about 250 times in the other thread.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT