ADVERTISEMENT

Va Tech loses Track championship due to taunting

But really, the freedom here is the complete opposite of how things work at Warchant (or whatever the Rivals name for that site is today).
Okay. But what made a bunch of Florida State fans wander over to the Iowa board? Never would have guessed there would be such high interest in Iowa.

Road trips.

I think you yahoos tried to road trip us one time.

The Warchant mods shot that down immediately.
Fun GIF

That’s right wretched refuse!

Right, you girl was innocent - just having fun with her bench.
Their player was a monster stalking your fresh faced star.
I'm familiar with the argument. It was repeated about 250 times in the other thread.
You're right. Now take your bullshit to the LSU Trash forum and get your micropeen sucked off.

As they say, good riddance to bad trash. You and Angel go side by side.

Peeps gonna be peeps. The trip to Iowa has been cool.
I have a cousin in IC, but no other real connection except for @Menace Sockeyes and soccer threads.
Gotta say, there are some solid threads/argument/info points on the HORT/GIA path.

This is my main message board but I also like HALO a lot. Not as much traffic but the discussion is, in my opinion, better and more insightful. The fueds over there are hilarious at times. Czech it out

Reactions: billanole
Oh my god. Nobody is mad at Reese for the simple act of trash taking. They’re mad at Reese for the circumstances and timing and context as it relates to her following Clark around in the waning seconds of a blowout, a blowout during which Clark never even engaged Reese in any trash talking.

For the love of god please stop with this obtusery. It’s chickenshit avoidance.

Your insistence on making Clark’s and Reese’s behaviors EQUIVALENT is at issue, here. And it’s so absurd.
You seem angry.
Clark a known trash talker.
Reese is too.
Just because you like one and not the other doesn’t make them different.

• Haha
Reactions: EasyHawk
You seem angry.
Clark a known trash talker.
Reese is too.
Just because you like one and not the other doesn’t make them different.
Stop trolling. Address the contextual/circumstantial differences you so cowardly keep avoiding in favor of cowardly trolling.

Stop trolling. Address the contextual/circumstantial differences you so cowardly keep avoiding in favor of cowardly trolling.
JFC.
Ok you win. Reese is a monster and Clark the second coming of Christ.
We good now?

JFC.
Ok you win. Reese is a monster and Clark the second coming of Christ.
We good now?
You don’t read well, dipshit. I never even suggested that I believe Reese is some kind of monster or whatever. She just did something deserving of criticism — and she did something that should not be made equivalent to Clark. Is the gesture the same? Yes. But that is the ONLY thing that is the same, or similar. Importantly as it relates to this discussion, pretty much everything else was much different. Everything else, with regard to circumstance and context, was different. And THAT is why Reese deserves criticism. It’s not because she’s black and Clark is white. Or because she’s unapologetically “hood” while Clark is something else. It’s because Reese, up 20 and without provocation (note the events preceding Claris’s gesture), with mere seconds remaining in the game, chose to stalk Clark.

The media, conveniently, chose to draw equivalence with the behaviors so they could turn it into some type of race-based conversation regarding disparate treatment for “equal” actions. Bullshit. As someone for whom race-based discrimination is a particular interest with MUCH personal experience as a baseline, I’m more than ready to be suspicious of racism or bigotry or even unintentional bias. But this fuçking story should NEVER have been about that. Reese acted weird, period, end of story.

Virginia Tech lost points in the T&F championship due to taunting? It cost them a title.
Should LSU have been penalized in some fashion?
Was Reese’s skit talk more egregious than Clark’s?

• Haha
Reactions: BelemNole
You don’t read well, dipshit. I never even suggested that I believe Reese is some kind of monster or whatever. She just did something deserving of criticism — and she did something that should not be made equivalent to Clark. Is the gesture the same? Yes. But that is the ONLY thing that is the same, or similar. Importantly as it relates to this discussion, pretty much everything else was much different. Everything else, with regard to circumstance and context, was different. And THAT is why Reese deserves criticism. It’s not because she’s black and Clark is white. Or because she’s unapologetically “hood” while Clark is something else. It’s because Reese, up 20 and without provocation (note the events preceding Claris’s gesture), with mere seconds remaining in the game, chose to stalk Clark.

The media, conveniently, chose to draw equivalence with the behaviors so they could turn it into some type of race-based conversation regarding disparate treatment for “equal” actions. Bullshit. As someone for whom race-based discrimination is a particular interest with MUCH personal experience as a baseline, I’m more than ready to be suspicious of racism or bigotry or even unintentional bias. But this fuçking story should NEVER have been about that. Reese acted weird, period, end of story.
Weird?

Huh, maybe it was you Clark was talking about.

“I don’t think Angel should be criticized at all,” Clark said in an ESPN interview on Tuesday. “I’m just one that competes, and she competed. I think everybody knew there was going to be a little trash talk in the entire tournament. It’s not just me and Angel.

“We’re all competitive. We all show our emotions in a different way. You know, Angel is a tremendous, tremendous player. I have nothing but respect for her. I love her game – the way she rebounds the ball, scores the ball, is absolutely incredible. I’m a big fan of her and even the entire LSU team. They played an amazing game.”

She added: “Men have always had trash talk … You should be able to play with that emotion … That’s how every girl should continue to play.”

Reactions: billanole
Reese acted like a jackass because of the way she followed Clark around trying to catch her attention.

But it's not as if I haven't seen an incredible amount of men acting like jackasses in sporting competitions. (obviously this isn't a race thing)

So in that way it was really common-place stuff and rather unremarkable. The ladys can be jackasses too.

I'm happy to apply the same standards to women bballers that I would men.

You might be able to make the argument the public response was more vociferous given that it was a woman baller acting out. But even that wasn't totally clear.

I agree with the commentary that said people paying attention to the game and debating stuff like this at all was a big win. We do the same with men's sports.

Weird?

Huh, maybe it was you Clark was talking about.

“I don’t think Angel should be criticized at all,” Clark said in an ESPN interview on Tuesday. “I’m just one that competes, and she competed. I think everybody knew there was going to be a little trash talk in the entire tournament. It’s not just me and Angel.

“We’re all competitive. We all show our emotions in a different way. You know, Angel is a tremendous, tremendous player. I have nothing but respect for her. I love her game – the way she rebounds the ball, scores the ball, is absolutely incredible. I’m a big fan of her and even the entire LSU team. They played an amazing game.”

She added: “Men have always had trash talk … You should be able to play with that emotion … That’s how every girl should continue to play.”
Lol. Clark is doing her best to squash the issue because the longer it gets talked about, the way the media jumped on it, the more she is painted as being the beneficiary of white perception bias. She’s absolutely correct in that trash talking us a part of the women’s game and i certainly have no issue with it. But the reason Reese deserves criticism is the context and circumstances. How many times have you seen ANYONE behave like that in the closing moments of a game, on any level? I’ve been in and around the game of basketball my whole life. Played thru college and then many years of pro-am summer league in SF and NYC — where trash talking antics… well it gets pretty creative and colorful, to say the least. Coached for years at high school level. Worked for the G League and WNBA for several years. I have never seen a player stalk an opponent in the closing moments of a blowout like that. It was weird. It was extra weird given Clark never provoked Reese at any time in the game. Not that I saw, anyway.

Clark wants to promote the women’s game and she is absolutely doing the right thing with her comments. She’s also doing the right thing by taking the focus off of criticisms of Reese, because any criticism of Reese — especially if it comes from Clark, in todays media ecosystem, will get spun into Clark being the privileged white girl who gets preferential bias, is a spoiled white privilege kid, sore loser, etc.

There’s no way you can watch that game, watch the arc of it, watch Reese follow and taunt Clark in the closing seconds, and be like, “that’s just normal trash talk.”

Because it’s not. Had Reese taunted her during the guts of the game when it was still in doubt? Different reaction, if any reaction at all.

Last edited:
Reese acted like a jackass because of the way she followed Clark around trying to catch her attention.

But it's not as if I haven't seen an incredible amount of men acting like jackasses in sporting competitions. (obviously this isn't a race thing)

So in that way it was really common-place stuff and rather unremarkable. The ladys can be jackasses too.

I'm happy to apply the same standards to women bballers that I would men.

You might be able to make the argument the public response was more vociferous given that it was a woman baller acting out. But even that wasn't totally clear.

I agree with the commentary that said people paying attention to the game and debating stuff like this at all was a big win. We do the same with men's sports.
The response was what it was because it was different. Game out of reach, mere seconds on the clock, Clark hadn’t provoked Reese, and Reese just went goofy. Name an instance of that type of display in men’s college basketball.

The only place I could see something like that happening is maybe NBA, and between a couple guys who have some sort of history. And guess what, if it has happened in the NBA, something remotely similar to what Reese did, I’m pretty sure people would have offered up criticisms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Colonoscopy
Correct,.. In every competition, you eventually reach a point where the contest has been decided,... at this point sportsmanship rules the moment and trash talk , in any form, would no longer be considered acceptable by anyone who calls themselves an athlete,.. Not sure why so many don't understand this,.. Perhaps they were never competitors.

Correct,.. In every competition, you eventually reach a point where the contest has been decided,... at this point sportsmanship rules the moment and trash talk , in any form, would no longer be considered acceptable by anyone who calls themselves an athlete,.. Not sure why so many don't understand this,.. Perhaps they were never competitors.
Or they just didn't watch the game, didn't watch the Louisville game in which Clark did her Cena thing, and just took the shit spoon-fed by a media that's not after anything more than clicks and views.

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Or they just didn't watch the game, didn't watch the Louisville game in which Clark did her Cena thing, and just took the shit spoon-fed by a media that's not after anything more than clicks and views.

I think there's a group of folks out there that don't buy into the Caitlin Clark thing because she's too traditional values, too middle class, too Iowa mid-western and too white advantaged,... All things that are very uncool at the moment.

I think there's a group of folks out there that don't buy into the Caitlin Clark thing because she's too traditional values, too middle class, too Iowa mid-western and too white advantaged,... All things that are very uncool at the moment.
That should have nothing to do with being able to differentiate between the timing and context and circumstances around Clark’s using the Cena thing and Reese’s.

Again, I am particularly sensitive to discussions of racial bias, discrimination, racism, etc. And choosing to make this suspicious of those types of things is a misstep.

That should have nothing to do with being able to differentiate between the timing and context and circumstances around Clark’s using the Cena thing and Reese’s. Again, I am particularly sensitive to discussions of racial bias, discrimination, racism, etc. And choosing to make this suspicious of those types of things is a misstep.

Should, being the operative word...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT