ADVERTISEMENT

Veteran Iowa reporter and editor Brandon Hurley named editor of the Iowa City Press-Citizen

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
They seem to change editors at a fairly rapid pace!:

Brandon Hurley, a veteran Iowa reporter and editor, has been named editor of the Iowa City Press-Citizen.

Hurley, a 2011 University of Iowa journalism graduate, said he is excited about the opportunity to lead coverage of a city he knows so well.

"The Iowa City area means a lot to me," Hurley said. "I'm thrilled to lead a wonderful news organization and help tell the many stories that continue to take shape. The Iowa City/Coralville corridor is one of the most invigorating in the state."

Hurley most recently was managing editor of The Jefferson Herald, where he worked since 2016. Previously, he served as assistant sports editor at the Carroll Times Herald, sports editor for the Guthrie Times Vedette and the Boone News Republican and staff writer at the Dickinson County News.

In his career, he has covered city and county government, education, sports, crime and natural disasters. He has shot still photos and video and produced a sports podcast. He’s the winner of 50 awards from the Iowa Newspaper Association.

"Continued local journalism has a meaningful place in today's society," Hurley said. "My experience in many communities throughout the state of Iowa will only help enhance my role as editor. I hope to share my love for the industry with our readers and look forward to developing relationships."

Hurley will oversee the staff and production of the Press-Citizen and its website as well as the Ames Tribune and its website. Those publications and the Des Moines Register are owned by Gannett Co. and are part of the USA TODAY Network.

Torbee (Tory Brecht) is a 1993 graduate of the University of
Iowa. He was the News Director of the Iowa City Press-Citizen
for one year and ten months (2018-2020).

Since September. 2021, Torbee has been the Communications
Co-Ordinator for the City of Moline, Illinois

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT