ADVERTISEMENT

St. Augustine grass

Will other grass surround the dog run perimeter? Doesn't zoysia spread?

The perimeter of the dog run has a cement border/foundation (approx 6 inches wide and 6 inches deep) that was poured to then build the screen enclosure upon, and to prevent any digging under the “walls”. On the outside of the dog run there is Bermuda grass. I know very little about different types of grass, and only thought about zoysia due to reading that it could handle a lot of shade.

Where do you live?
North Texas. Summer is hell on any lawn here. Ultimately I would have liked to just go with fake grass in this dog run. Would have saved me the time re-doing a couple sprinkler zones to correctly cover the dog run and surrounding areas, plus, I feel that any sod that I do put down is not very likely to end up surviving given the shade. But, it was decided by my wife that an attempt would be made, and I do agree with her reasoning that the dogs simply prefer real grass.

There will be 2 small dogs using the area, and they won’t spend much time “hanging out” there, rather it is just their spot to go into through a dog door from inside the house, to do their business. Picking up poop off the St Augustine was the first thing that pooped into my mind and made me start to re-consider whether or not SA is a good idea.
FIFY

Theoretically, could OP mow his lawn shorter to encourage bermuda/discourage St. Augustine?

I spent one summer internship on warm season grasses, and the longest cut we had on the entire course was 1” bermuda in the rough. So, I don’t know if my idea has any merit whatsoever.
Theoretically, yes. But, I wouldn’t due to all of the invasive weed species that could start to take hold in place of the burned out/dead St. Augustine.
There’s potential for a really messed up yard.
I’d tend to it as if it were 100% St Augustine, and go from there. The Bermuda is going to fill in regardless. It’s actually really nice under foot compared to 100% floratam (St Aug. variety).

Theoretically, yes. But, I wouldn’t due to all of the invasive weed species that could start to take hold in place of the burned out/dead St. Augustine.
There’s potential for a really messed up yard.
I’d tend to it as if it were 100% St Augustine, and go from there. The Bermuda is going to fill in regardless. It’s actually really nice under foot compared to 100% floratam (St Aug. variety).
Makes sense; from what I do remember about my time (albeit limited) down in South Florida, is that the problematic weeds there are much more difficult to control than the worst offenders up north. And our ace in the hole is fall weather. Perfect for seed germination without the intense weed pressure.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT