ADVERTISEMENT

Vivek Ramaswamy:

He also finished that way, with a touch of fascist insurrection thrown in on the way out the door.

Let's NOT do that again, mmmmkay?
I don't think Vivek would go that route. That said, I didn't think Trump would either, but I also wasn't shocked when Trump did.

Imagine Turd trying to pronounce the guy's name?

This person can now charge more for speaking engagements because he can add "Presidential candidate" to his resume'.
Just an odd thing. Orange cheeto and his demon spawn are hugely popular in India. Sad but true and repulsive.

He has partnered with Indian companies to develop real estate properties (more high end apartments, less hotels). My aunt is the owner of one such joint.
Is her last name Patel?

Isn't it true that some large percentage of Indian-American hotel owners all have Patel as their last name?

I know I read an article about that at one point.

Reactions: GOHOX69
Is her last name Patel?

Isn't it true that some large percentage of Indian-American hotel owners all have Patel as their last name?

I know I read an article about that at one point.
Patels are a merchant class. They are from the state called Gujarat. They own hotels, motels and stuff. The Prime Minister, Modi, is one such person. They are technically second class. My aunt and I are totally first class Brahmins. These tier 2 people believe in commerce and that is why Modi would sell his mom (a sweet lady unlike him who just died at a 100) at all costs without looking at the greater picture. Now that I have bought caste into it, in simple terms, if the person is Indian and their last name ends in Patel, Shah, Modi etc, they are gujarati and by definition from the merchant class. There's one such Patel family that owns "hawkeye hotels." Generally speaking, we (my class) weren't even supposed to turn our noses up at those low class losers haha. If you are hankering to know about Brahmins, they were the intellectuals, the lazy ass people with the "big ideas" and generally belonged to the priestly class and were the most educated. One such Brahmin example was Prime Minister Nehru (who was Indira Gandhi's father).

Reactions: Hawk_82 and torbee
I was reading an article recently and it was describing how the caste system is still alive and well (whether real or perceived) in some corners of the US. Main focus was on the Dalits and their struggles for acceptance among some groups.

I was reading an article recently and it was describing how the caste system is still alive and well (whether real or perceived) in some corners of the US. Main focus was on the Dalits and their struggles for acceptance among some groups.
Yea, Seattle just passed a non-discrimination bill based on caste. Apparently, it's a thing in large IT companies with lots of Indian people in it.

I really haven't been reading this conversation. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

What about about the last name Rao?
Rao is a hindu brahmin name. Ironically, and to confuse you, there are also Pakistani muslim Rao's but 99% of Rao's are hindu brahmins (somewhat related to my community).

How far back does the caste system go? I've read some arguments stating that imperialism had a lot to do with it, but then others that say it's been around long before that.

How far back does the caste system go? I've read some arguments stating that imperialism had a lot to do with it, but then others that say it's been around long before that.
Long long long long long long before that. It is in the vedas, the ancient hindu texts. There were supposedly "reasons" for it, most of which are abhorrent. And yes, it is plain as day, still, in India. In the Indian government's defense however, they make made lots of allotments for what they called "scheduled caste;" what we call affirmative action.

One funny example. When a Brahmin dies, he instantly becomes defiled. A brahmin (for example his loved ones), if they touch the corpse, must ritually bathe and cleanse themselves. Technically, Brahmins can't even cremate their own. You need a low caste person called a Dom to set up the cremation pyre and ignite the flames and collect the bones. The Brahmin can do the scattering and then again, bathe and cleanse, as they have defiled themselves. Kinda f'd huh?

Long long long long long long before that. It is in the vedas, the ancient hindu texts. There were supposedly "reasons" for it, most of which are abhorrent. And yes, it is plain as day, still, in India. In the Indian government's defense however, they make made lots of allotments for what they called "scheduled caste;" what we call affirmative action.

One funny example. When a Brahmin dies, he instantly becomes defiled. A brahmin (for example his loved ones), if they touch the corpse, must ritually bathe and cleanse themselves. Technically, Brahmins can't even cremate their own. You need a low caste person called a Dom to set up the cremation pyre and ignite the flames and collect the bones. The Brahmin can do the scattering and then again, bathe and cleanse, as they have defiled themselves. Kinda f'd huh?
How many Indians actually believe that shit though? Or are they mostly like you.

How many Indians actually believe that shit though? Or are they mostly like you.
In some states, almost everyone. Especially in northern Indian states like Uttar Pradesh, which are basically backward hell holes that you never want to visit. In urban areas like Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru etc, things are westernized and the caste system is basically gone. It is now a system based on wealth, not caste and that in and of itself, has its issues as well. As far as I am concerned, I can cook, clean and work with dirt so I'm all good. Sometimes when I am tired though, I yell loudly, where are my damn servants? haha.

In some states, almost everyone. Especially in northern Indian states like Uttar Pradesh, which are basically backward hell holes that you never want to visit. In urban areas like Mumbai, Delhi, Bengaluru etc, things are westernized and the caste system is basically gone. It is now a system based on wealth, not caste and that in and of itself, has its issues as well. As far as I am concerned, I can cook, clean and work with dirt so I'm all good. Sometimes when I am tired though, I yell loudly, where are my damn servants? haha.
So you have some upper-class that don't believe in the caste system, and others that do? I was thinking most of the uppers would be the educated ones that would know better. (kind of like in America around race)

But maybe that's not the case in India.

Anyone who embraces "woke" as a reason to run for POTUS has lost me. Sorry. Then throw in "deep state conspiracies"??? "woke culture" and I still have never heard any two people define what "woke" is or means.....Sorry. Lets balance the budget...lets reign in spending, lets raise taxes on the wealthy and corporations...let's tighten up our alliances, lets understand that the Russian, Red China and Iranian government do NOT like us and until, they change their governments, they never will....Gimme someone who will discuss issues and not lifestyles..... Gimme a leader who will get Congress to sit down and address problems like immigration and PASS a bill....

Reactions: Hawk_82 and torbee
So you have some upper-class that don't believe in the caste system, and others that do? I was thinking most of the uppers would be the educated ones that would know better. (kind of like in America around race)

But maybe that's not the case in India.
Oh most upper class Indians have moved on. But some Indian states, just like some American states, are hellishly backwards.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT