ADVERTISEMENT

Volleyball Recruiting Violations

Obviously it's true or he wouldn't have been placed on admin leave and notified the NCAA.

Seems weird that a former player turned him in. Seems curious, although if he is cheating that isn't good.

Reactions: BDJHawk
The way I read it he is done and volleyball will probably be hit with some violations. What a shame. I though we had a guy who was going to legitimately turn it around.

Reactions: Couppee
I don’t think we know for sure that he was “turned in”, it could have just come to light through the former player one way or any another.

Although I've heard it won't be made official till maybe tomorrow, the word out is he was fired 2 weeks a go. Yes I expect us to get clobbered by the NCAA for self reporting and firing the coach.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...olleyball-coach-fired-ncaa-violation-20190619

Iowa fires VB coach Boyd Shymansky after he provided "an impermissible benefit" to a prospective student-athlete

University of Iowa volleyball coach Bond Shymansky has been fired due to “a major violation of NCAA rules,” Iowa athletics director Gary Barta announced Wednesday.

An independent investigation by an outside law firm determined Shymansky “intentionally provided an impermissible benefit to a prospective student-athlete, who went on to compete for the UI volleyball program and is now a former student-athlete,” according to a relase from Iowa.

Shymansky was placed on 30-day paid administrative leave on May 20.

“We take NCAA violations very seriously, and have acted in a fair and decisive manner,” Barta said in the release. “We will continue to work with the NCAA in regard to our self-report to reach a conclusion in this matter as swiftly as possible.”

The Hawkeyes were 78-82 in five seasons under Shymansky, including 15-16 last season.

Associate head coach Vicki Brown will continue as interim head coach this season.

“I am confident that no other staff members and no student-athletes are involved,” Barta said during a May 20 press conference.

According to Barta, a “former student-athlete” came forward May 1, alleging Shymansky had violated NCAA rules. Two days later, conversations began with a law firm to conduct the investigation.

Reactions: LinusPF
What HE is saying is reason enough to throw the book at him. And then his 'as a man of faith......' crap. WTF does faith have to do with anything? Sanctimonious jerk. Get lost. Next up!

Last edited:
In the newspaper he says he helped a player pay rent in the summer after she moved to IC, till a scholarship snafu with the NCAA got worked out. That's too bad, as it sounds like he was trying to help a player in an unfortunate situation...... and was not trying to gain a recruiting advantage.

Reactions: RHBar
In the newspaper he says he helped a player pay rent in the summer after she moved to IC, till a scholarship snafu with the NCAA got worked out. That's too bad, as it sounds like he was trying to help a player in an unfortunate situation...... and was not trying to gain a recruiting advantage.

The question is whether that is the complete story. Let's see what the NCAA investigation says.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I haven't seen anything about a 'snafu with the NCAA' regarding the scholarship. Sounds like to me she was promised a full ride (probably to get her to come), she gets here and learns there is actually is no full scholarship available...so Bond tries to make up for his broken promise.

Reactions: Row55
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT