ADVERTISEMENT

VOTE: Is Kirk Ferentz a Hall of Famer?

Is Kirk Ferentz a Hall of Famer?

• I am an Iowa fan. YES!

• I am not an Iowa fan. YES!

• I am an Iowa fan. NO!

• I am not an Iowa fan. NO!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bo never won a national title at Michigan. He won several Big Ten titles, won the ten year war over his mentor Woody 6-4, but lost most of his Rose Bowls to USC. He is considered the bar at the all-time winningest program. He is considered one of the best of all time, but during his time, it really was big two, little eight. He's in the hall of Fame.

Jim Tressel won a national title at Ohio State, four others at Youngstown State. He owned Michigan, won like ten conference titles. Numerous BCS bowl wins, and two national title losses. He's not looked at as the best at Ohio State, even though he won more in a much tougher Big Ten than Woody had to deal with. He's in the hall of Fame.

So the question is what has Kirk done against whom? His best seasons are probably 2002, 2009, and 2015. He got blown out by USC in 2002, and by Stanford in 2015. He beat Georgia Tech in 2009 at the Orange Bowl. But he didn't win the conference title in any of those years. He's won shares of the Big Ten. He's beaten Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer at home, when their squads were ranked number two in the country. Is that good enough? I would say no. It isn't the hall of stability. It isn't the hall of consistency. It isn't the hall of tenure. No solo conference titles, no national titles. One BCS bowl win. In twenty four years , that isn't good enough.

IMO KF didn't have a long enough stretch of his teams playing at a high level. 2002-04 and 2008-09 were nice.

Then there was 2015.

Otherwise it's been a lot of decent to meh seasons. It's been almost 20 years since he won a conference title. A BCS win January 2010. Not a whole lot else. 6-8 regular season wins most of the time, maybe another with a bowl win.

His 200 wins are a nice number, but not sure it speaks as much to dominance as it does consistency over a long stretch.

I think it's borderline but I'm one who prefers to keep HOF inductees a little more exclusive.

Bo never won a national title at Michigan. He won several Big Ten titles, won the ten year war over his mentor Woody 6-4, but lost most of his Rose Bowls to USC. He is considered the bar at the all-time winningest program. He is considered one of the best of all time, but during his time, it really was big two, little eight. He's in the hall of Fame.

Jim Tressel won a national title at Ohio State, four others at Youngstown State. He owned Michigan, won like ten conference titles. Numerous BCS bowl wins, and two national title losses. He's not looked at as the best at Ohio State, even though he won more in a much tougher Big Ten than Woody had to deal with. He's in the hall of Fame.

So the question is what has Kirk done against whom? His best seasons are probably 2002, 2009, and 2015. He got blown out by USC in 2002, and by Stanford in 2015. He beat Georgia Tech in 2009 at the Orange Bowl. But he didn't win the conference title in any of those years. He's won shares of the Big Ten. He's beaten Jim Harbaugh and Urban Meyer at home, when their squads were ranked number two in the country. Is that good enough? I would say no. It isn't the hall of stability. It isn't the hall of consistency. It isn't the hall of tenure. No solo conference titles, no national titles. One BCS bowl win. In twenty four years , that isn't good enough.
I agree with what you said, but have to correct you when you said he didn’t win a big ten title in any of his best seasons. He did. He went 8-0 in 2002. The conference awarded us a championship trophy. We actually had it in our possession before OSU got theirs for going 8-0 the same year.

Are we a national power house?
Do we consistently win the bigten?
Are we innovative with our play?
Other then his overly long coaching career here at Iowa 200 wins isn't that much.
If anything of late he been holding Iowa back.
We? LOL You a player or on the staff. “We”

Actually, the .600 rule has existed for a long time...definitely was in place at the time of JHF's election in 2003. The very next year, George Welsh (Navy, Virginia) also got in without achieving a lifetime .600+ record. Since then, only two guys (both from HBCUs) have gotten in with sub-.600 records (2010 Willie Jeffries .587 and 2008 Doug Porter .583).

In 2010 Barry Alvarez barely squeaked by with .601. But anyone claiming he wouldn't belong in the HOF had he finished at .599 would've been laughed out of the room. Sometimes the body of work has to take precedence over simple math.

Now, in Hayden's case his act of helping to integrate the old Southwest Conference probably played a major role in the .600 rule not being applied to him. Doodle's not sure Kirk has that watershed moment that would make the committee say, "With this guy the rule is suspended."

Kirk has definitely been a steady, winning coach for a quarter century in one of the premier football conferences in America. His resume impressively includes:
  • 4th most wins in Big Ten history (and creeping up on Bo for 3rd place)
  • Most bowl wins in Big Ten history (tied for most all time with Joe)
  • 5 National Coach of the Year awards
  • 4 Big Ten Coach of the Year awards (tied for most all-time with Bo)
  • 2 conference titles
  • 3 major bowl appearances
  • Multiple final top 10 rankings
  • 2 Mackey Award winners
  • 1 Ozzie Newsome Award winner
  • 2 Outland Trophy winners
  • 1 Rimington Trophy winner
  • 1 Joe Moore Award winner
  • 1 Doak Walker Award winner
  • 1 Jim Brown Award winner
  • 1 Jim Thorpe Award winner
  • 2 Jack Tatum Award winners
  • 1 Davey O'Brien Award winner
  • 1 Butkus Award winner
  • 1 Jack Lambert Award winner
  • 1 Lott Impact Trophy winner
  • 1 Mosi Tatupu Award winner
  • 1 Lou Groza Award winner
  • 1 AP National Player of the Year
  • 29 All Americans (incl. 13 consensus/unanimous)
  • Countless All Big Ten selections
But is it "exceptional" enough to get the committee to forego the .600 rule should he fall short? Will the recent controversies surrounding the program play a role in keeping him out, even if he does just get over the .600 hump? Only time will tell.
Thanks for listing. I didn’t want to. Mike leach has little to nothing on that list.

I don’t think you should widen it up if he doesn’t hit the 60% threshold. If he does by the time he hangs it up sure.

I agree with what you said, but have to correct you when you said he didn’t win a big ten title in any of his best seasons. He did. He went 8-0 in 2002. The conference awarded us a championship trophy. We actually had it in our possession before OSU got theirs for going 8-0 the same year.
I didn't word it correctly, he didn't win a sole Big Ten conference title. But yes, he did share it with Ohio State. Both squads went undefeated in conference play, there was no conference title game back then. Most people forget a'lot of people thought Iowa would actually win on a neutral site over the eventual national champions. Iowa dominated Michigan, Minnesota. Ohio State nearly lost to Purdue and Illinois. Had Iowa not lost to Iowa State early, there was a chance they would have been playing Miami for the BCS Title.

Retrospectively though, Iowa got blown out by the emerging USC team. Ohio State beat Miami to end their 34 game winning streak. That Miami team had like ten first round guys. So I think most people now say Ohio State was clearly the better team, but Iowa actually looked better throughout their undefeated co Big Ten title run. That Orange Bowl loss just took the shine off that season. Last impressions I guess.

Imagine an alternate world where that game was close, or even a Hawkeye win. Probably remembered as the greatest Hawkeye team of all time. That would be that elusive great year for Kirk imo. By that I mean getting a signature win, in a huge environment.

If he finishes this season at 11-3, his career record would be this:

209-139 (60.06%)

As noted in the original post, one of the stipulations is you have to have won 60% of your games.

• Haha
Reactions: Hawktagonapus
Either way it doesn't really matter who we play we're still going to need a miracle and I believe in miracles.

This should help Kirk's cause.

After today's 15-13 win vs Illinois,

The top 4 in B1G wins:
1. Woody Hayes, 202
2. Amos Alonzo Stagg, 199
3. Kirk Ferentz, 195
4. Bo Schembechler, 194
Have to say it would be hard to argue against, assuming KF gets the 60% threshhold.

Nov 18, 2023 Update:

One of the stipulations for the College Football Hall of Fame is you have to have won 60% of your games.

Assuming he gets to 60% (which he did today) and stays there, what say you?

His current record:

...12-21 (36.4%): three years at Maine (1990-92)
195-117 (62.5%): 24-plus years at Iowa (1999-present)
207-138 (60.00%) Overall Record
========================

Iowa currently is 9-2 on the season. If Iowa finishes this season at 11-3, his career record would be this:

209-139 (60.06%)

When Kirk hit win #200 he became the 24th Division I coach to reach that milestone.
No ... too many losses. Few big wins. Would have been canned anywhere else long ago.
Iowa was gift that kept giving to him. You would think he would have his kid put Iowa on his hoodie.

I didn't word it correctly, he didn't win a sole Big Ten conference title. But yes, he did share it with Ohio State. Both squads went undefeated in conference play, there was no conference title game back then. Most people forget a'lot of people thought Iowa would actually win on a neutral site over the eventual national champions. Iowa dominated Michigan, Minnesota. Ohio State nearly lost to Purdue and Illinois. Had Iowa not lost to Iowa State early, there was a chance they would have been playing Miami for the BCS Title.

Retrospectively though, Iowa got blown out by the emerging USC team. Ohio State beat Miami to end their 34 game winning streak. That Miami team had like ten first round guys. So I think most people now say Ohio State was clearly the better team, but Iowa actually looked better throughout their undefeated co Big Ten title run. That Orange Bowl loss just took the shine off that season. Last impressions I guess.

Imagine an alternate world where that game was close, or even a Hawkeye win. Probably remembered as the greatest Hawkeye team of all time. That would be that elusive great year for Kirk imo. By that I mean getting a signature win, in a huge environment.
Let's add the asterisk on "the emerging U$C team". That program was a pro team coached by (virtually) pro coach. They eventually forfeited wins in their 2003-04-05 seasons, and suffered the ignominy of losing one Heisman Trophy, and probably should have lost the one the previous year.

Look, we get it. You love Bo, Tressel, Pete Carroll, etc. al. You probably love Harbaugh, as well. Take it somewhere else.

If he passes Stagg and Hayes next year for greatest number of wins as a Big Ten coach, which could certainly happen (as pointed out earlier by Franisdaman), it's difficult to see how they could justify not putting him in the HOF.

No ... too many losses. Few big wins. Would have been canned anywhere else long ago.
Iowa was gift that kept giving to him. You would think he would have his kid put Iowa on his hoodie.
You would think YOU would have been taken out by a low-level hitman before KF would have been fired. Yet, somehow, you still breathe. Admittedly, you take in air I may personally need someday, but we all adjust.

If he passes Stagg and Hayes next year for greatest number of wins as a Big Ten coach, which could certainly happen (as pointed out earlier by Franisdaman), it's difficult to see how they could justify not putting him in the HOF.
Dr Phil Suess and PlutoDroid don't want him in. Is THAT enough to keep him out?

Let's add the asterisk on "the emerging U$C team". That program was a pro team coached by (virtually) pro coach. They eventually forfeited wins in their 2003-04-05 seasons, and suffered the ignominy of losing one Heisman Trophy, and probably should have lost the one the previous year.

Look, we get it. You love Bo, Tressel, Pete Carroll, etc. al. You probably love Harbaugh, as well. Take it somewhere else.
I was at that Orange Bowl. 10-10 at half time with Iowa missing a chip shot fg right before half time. Got away from Iowa in the 2nd half. USC team was loaded with talent and a cheater coach.

Hall of Fames at any level mean zero in the internet age.

I don’t need a building to study the history of the game. It’s at my fingertips 24/7/365.

Before this season, I would have said maybe, leaning toward "no". But this season shows that Kirk might be the greatest developmental coach of all, and thus he deserves to be in the HOF.

I voted no, but after further consideration now - yes. I thought with all the patsy teams in the West plus almost 3 guaranteed games in non-con each year, his numbers were sort of padded. But he is at 60% and after remembering all the SEC powerhouses that play 4 non-con mostly patsy games, I guess it is about the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT