ADVERTISEMENT

Vs. Wisky: Hawks win they have a 1/2 game lead; lose and Wisky leads West by 2 1/2

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
This is what we go thru every fall. In the race to win the West this is always a huge game. The hawks will need a supreme defensive effort of gap and edge containment, great tackling and pass coverage, and a very good pass rush. Wisky's #1 back is out but Allen is still a load but a load that Iowa has contained in Kinnick, not some much at camp randall.

Last Saturday's Wisky vs Rutgers game turned on one play. Rutgers was ready to score being down 10-0 when a pick 6 turned the game to 17-0.

So Iowa's defense needs to play a very good and clean game as far as turnovers, penalties, and dropped passes go.

Does Wisky have a new defensive scheme and are they really good (I have not watched or read about their defense)?

Half game inclusion here is silly. What matters is the loss column.

As such, and given the tiebreaker, it is: Hawks win and have a 1 loss lead (over Wisconsin). Lose, and it’s a 3 loss (by Wisconsin) deficit.

Reactions: Underscore2
Half game inclusion here is silly. What matters is the loss column.

As such, and given the tiebreaker, it is: Hawks win and have a 1 loss lead (over Wisconsin). Lose, and it’s a 3 loss (by Wisconsin) deficit.
Like it has been in baseball since its inception the key is the loss column. If Iowa wins this weekend then both Wisky and Iowa have the same 1 loss total. I think the 1/2 game for the tiebreaker is just as much a reality for keeping track of who has the lead for the West title.

Simple as this, whoever wins this game wins the west.
If Wisky wins they will probably be favored in all their remaining games except against OSU but that game is at Madison. The other two games they might lose are their last two against Nebby which has a pretty good run defense and at Minny.

If Iowa wins I think they have the bigger chance of losing a few games. So the season will definitely need to play out.

• Haha
Reactions: BlowinGuysHawkeye
Not quite.

Wisky wins and they will cruise to the title. Ohio St is the only other game they lose this season.

Iowa wins - they could most certainly f* it up. They would only have to lose 2 more games, and there are very few automatic wins on the schedule.

Not quite.

Wisky wins and they will cruise to the title. Ohio St is the only other game they lose this season.

Iowa wins - they could most certainly f* it up. They would only have to lose 2 more games, and there are very few automatic wins on the schedule.
I agree, it is a much easier path for Wisconsin. We would have to go 4-1 the rest of the way, assuming Wisconsin loses to OSU. Illinois and NW are wins, Minnesota at home is a win, I think Rutgers is a win even though they are greatly improved because I don't think they have an offense that can take what Phil gives them. Nebraska is a toss up.

Basically Iowa loses in Madison and Wisconsin will need to lose three games and Iowa doesn’t lose again. Not going to happen. Nightmare scenario would be iowa winning in Madison and then OSU losing to Wisconsin in Madison. Unlikely, but OSU has looked shaky.

Last edited:
Reactions: NI hawk
Well, if we lose, Wisconsin is winning the West. And if we win, we can win the West provided we don’t crap it down our legs.

The rest of the west looks underwhelming, to put it lightly, but our offense is so bad that we could lose to probably any of them, given the right conditions.

This is what we go thru every fall. In the race to win the West this is always a huge game. The hawks will need a supreme defensive effort of gap and edge containment, great tackling and pass coverage, and a very good pass rush. Wisky's #1 back is out but Allen is still a load but a load that Iowa has contained in Kinnick, not some much at camp randall.

Last Saturday's Wisky vs Rutgers game turned on one play. Rutgers was ready to score being down 10-0 when a pick 6 turned the game to 17-0.

So Iowa's defense needs to play a very good and clean game as far as turnovers, penalties, and dropped passes go.

Does Wisky have a new defensive scheme and are they really good (I have not watched or read about their defense)?
I disagree somewhat in that Iowa's offense needs to step up BIG TIME to have a chance to win. The defense could play lights out, but if the offense plays like it has all year, they're sunk.

Winning B1G west means getting woodshed beaten in Indy.

This year's defense is down quite a bit from last year. The offense looks same to worse. Deacon didn't look good vs Purdue but jury is still out and that will determine the season.

• Haha
Iowa was basically dead in the water last year after losing to ILL and OSU but reeled off 4 wins in a row to put them into the catbird seat going into black Friday...then stubbed there toe vs lowly Neb.

In this division never say never.
Stranger things have happened.

The spread seems to wide too me for a game that will most likely be won in the forth quarter.
If the Badger’s offensive line can step up and control the line of scrimmage, the trophy will stay in Madison.

Last edited:
Basically Iowa loses in Madison and Wisconsin will need to lose three games and Iowa doesn’t lose again. Not going to happen. Nightmare scenario would be iowa winning in Madison and then OSU losing to Wisconsin in Madison. Unlikely, but OSU has looked shaky.
Iowa is going to beat Wisky at Madison yet tOSU is going to lose there? I don’t see it. And want what you are drinking. I see it as a blow out this Saturday and tOSU goes in there and destroys Bucky.

It is supposed to be cold,rainy and windy in Madison as of now.
Ah just like the game in 2003 where the hawks stole one from Bucky and Barry. We were pretty high up in the rows but happened to be right on the goal line where the great goal line stand took place for the hawks. It was sort of funny because a lot of wisky fans around us were grumbling about Barry, they guy that coached them to 3 Rose Bowl wins, so go figure.

Lose and Wiscy is the final B1G West champs and headed for Indy.

Ugh- I was using Iowa tickets for that game and was siting in the 2nd to the top row in AA. By the end of the 3rd quarter, a strong west wind was driving the rain up and over the top of the stadium soaking everyone that stayed to the bitter end. 3 well dressed Iowa women were seated in the seats in front of me and the coloring of their ultra- suede outfits started to run. They did have something to cheer about.
My recollection is that the Hawks had better players that year- disappointing result on Barry day but no big surprise.

New staff switched to a 3-3-5 scheme which Coach Fickell used at Cincinnati.

Must win game if the Hawks are to have a chance at winning the West.

Wisconsin also has a pretty easy Conference schedule this year. Would be surprised if they lost to anybody besides OSU after the Iowa game.

Reactions: RIGHTWINGHAWK
I've seen about 45 seconds of Wisconsin this year, but I'm guessing we'll be doing well to get 150 yards of offense...yes, completely serious. And let me guess; they have 5 snow plows for an offensive line.
Wisky is a more complete team. Our D and special teams better score a ton of points or we’re likely fvcked.

• Haha
Ah just like the game in 2003 where the hawks stole one from Bucky and Barry. We were pretty high up in the rows but happened to be right on the goal line where the great goal line stand took place for the hawks. It was sort of funny because a lot of wisky fans around us were grumbling about Barry, they guy that coached them to 3 Rose Bowl wins, so go figure.
We were at that game. Fantastic finish. Bobby Sanders was great.
Nate kaeding knocked a 50+ yd Fg thru wind and rain right before half to give us life.
Sadly I was also there in 1998?when badgers snapped a 19 game losing streak to Iowa when we had a fg that went thru ruled no good.
Badger fans went nuts to finally beat the Hawks...ahhh the good old days.

Gee, I sure hope we win so the entire country can laugh at us getting butt****ed for 3 1/2 hours in the Big 10 championship game. It would make our Penn State performance look prolific.

Gee, I sure hope we win so the entire country can laugh at us getting butt****ed for 3 1/2 hours in the Big 10 championship game. It would make our Penn State performance look prolific.
I would rather get creamed in the Big 10 Championship game than not play in it.

Reactions: Carlton
We didn’t steal one. They were hanging on by their finger nails…hit a big play to make it nerve racking at the end. Iowa was better in that era of football…and Barry was reverting to the mean as a .500ish big ten coach in those latter years. Yes, his record doesn’t match his reputation

Reactions: uihawk82
We didn’t steal one. They were hanging on by their finger nails…hit a big play yo make it nerve racking at the end. Iowa was better in that era of football…and Barry was reverting to the mean as a .500ish big ten coach. Yes, his record doesn’t match the reputation
He won 3 Rose Bowls......

• Love
Reactions: Carlton
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT