ADVERTISEMENT

Wadena Rock Festival 1970

jellyfish10

HR Legend
Aug 10, 2009
I was talking to some gentlemen this morning that grew up in the Wadena/Clermont/Elgin area. I have connections to that area with people of a similar age of those I was speaking to. Anyway, the festival was brought off and it for me wondering if any of the hippies of the board attended. Outside of what I can read on the innerwebz, what can you tell HROT about what had to have been a kickass experience?

I have an older friend who was in attendance,.... I think he has mentioned Canned Heat being one of the acts...

NOTE: This column was originally published on July 25, 2010.

WADENA, IOWA — This single-strip downtown, nestled among the rolling hills of Fayette County, 40 years ago boasted a grocery store, gas station, three taverns and two restaurants.

Charlie's Gas Gage Filling Station still pumps fuel here. But the only place left to grab a meal is Barney's. Patrons dine on signature "Barney Burgers" (double cheeseburgers) at the bar and grill, within view of a wall display of black-and-white photos of naked hippies.

Those photos, hanging alongside posters and other memorabilia, offer a rare sign to visitors that a humble farm southwest of this sleepy town once was the site of Iowa's milestone rock 'n' roll festival.

The Wadena rock festival, July 31-Aug. 2, 1970, overwhelmed this town of about 240 residents with an estimated 50,000 young concertgoers.

Former Register columnist Donald Kaul mused at the time that it was "like putting the Iowa State Fair in a bowling alley."

By Hewlett Packard Enterprise

AI will solve some of our biggest problems
See more →

Denise Blue, a bartender and fry cook at Barney's, said last week that she still fields a Wadena question "at least once a day."

It was Iowa's Woodstock — essentially a Midwest sequel to the iconic "three days of peace and music" the previous summer in New York, which drew a throng of nearly 500,000.

The Rolling Stones' festival at Altamont Speed-way in California followed in December 1969 and was marred by a homicide, among other deaths.

So northeast Iowa residents and state officials were jittery when faced with Woodstock Nation in their backyard.

Neighbor Daryle Fox, 86, recalled that as many as 13 planes circled overhead that weekend — sightseers gawking at the festival crowd, especially the nude bathers in the Volga River.

"I was milking at that time, and you could hear the noise above the milking machine in the barn," Fox said.

Like Woodstock, the Wadena fest had to be relocated from its original site. Authorities in Galena, Ill., prevented the promoter, Sound Storm Enterprises Inc. of Chicago, from staging the festival there. Hence, an alternative name for the fest: "Galena in Wadena."

Little Richard, the Flying Burrito Brothers, the Everly Brothers, the Guess Who, Leon Russell, Mason Proffit and other music acts reverberated through the valley. But Wadena's performances — not immortalized on recordings or in films like Woodstock and Altamont — became incidental to the lore.

It was largely about the crowds and the unsuccessful court battle waged to stop it.

Even the Register's music review of the fest characterized the bands as just another symptom of the counterculture: "Like the freaky clothes, the long hair, and the drugs, the music separates and protects them from all the 'straight world.' "

I was born two years after Wadena. I first heard about the festival through stories in class from John Steffens, my science and biology teacher at Carson-Macedonia High School. Today he's retired and lives in rural Henderson.

"It was crazy — I mean flat crazy," he said last week. "Anything that you could think of was there."

Steffens was a student at Upper Iowa College on summer break in 1970 when he piled in a car with three buddies to go glimpse the spectacle.

Iowa's attorney general was still waging a legal challenge to the fest even as guitars began to squall the evening of July 31.

Ten state legislators formed a committee in the wake of Wadena to study rock festivals and devise laws to control them.

Robert Ray was less than two years into his first term as Iowa's governor when he made a beeline for northeast Iowa in a last-ditch effort to halt the fest on its first day.

"I was too late to stop anything," Ray said last week.

But he felt compelled to try: "What if something happens up there, and I have not made an effort? I would really regret it."

636147921583797607-4226-004.jpg
Buy Photo
Iowa Gov. Bob Ray visited the Wadena rock festival in the summer of 1970 to encourage the young audience to have a good time -- but not such a good time that they didn't remember what happened. (Photo: Register File Photo)

Ray also laments that he was misquoted for implicitly approving the audience's drug use.

"Gov. Robert Ray, who toured the site at about 1 p.m., encouraged the youngsters to 'have a good time,' " the Register reported in a front-page article on Aug. 1, 1970.

"We want you to remember you had a good time when you leave here," Ray said he told the audience — with an emphasis on "remember."

In other words, he was gently suggesting restraint.

Ray can help set the record straight when he participates in a Wadena panel discussion next Sunday at the State Historical Building.

Denny Naughton of Marion will be alongside the former governor, even though the Marion lawyer didn't attend the fest. He was too busy in the summer of 1970 clerking in a law firm in Omaha and getting married.

It's not easy to sum up Naughton's career. He's not only a lawyer but also a ventriloquist, as well as an inductee of the Iowa Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame for his 1960s band, the Uniques.

He left behind the rock lifestyle in the mid-1960s, "when the heavy metal and drugs entered."

Yet Naughton has spent the last few years writing a book on Wadena, which he plans to publish this fall. He can recite the details of the fest as if he had been there.

While working as a young lawyer in Dubuque, he began hearing tales of the fest, from some of the key players involved. He has remained fascinated by the drama.

"Every time you talk to somebody, you hear more funny stories," he said. "It had a 'Dukes of Hazzard' feel to it."

Stories are all that's left at the original farm site. It was overgrown with "chin-high weeds" just a year after the festival, according to a Register account. A "Schlitz beer can filled with wilted prairie flowers" was one of the only visible artifacts.

A rutted lane at 4824 Kornhill Road still leads back to the 218-acre site, where two mobile homes are situated. The original farmhouse, used as a headquarters by concert promoters, is a crumbling wreck, camouflaged behind giant weeds.

It's a relic of a different world, long before the 80/35 Music Fest took root in downtown Des Moines and Bonnaroo began drawing nearly 100,000 concertgoers annually to rural Tennessee.

The worst fears of elected officials in 1970 didn't come to pass: big-city crime syndicates producing orgiastic music festivals throughout the Heartland to push their illicit drugs.

But big fests did become big business, even if Wadena has remained more or less silent since the summer of 1970.

Naughton blames Beatlemania for changing rock 'n' roll "from a dance venue to a concert experience."

So I guess Woodstock, Wadena and their ilk taught the nation just how wild that experience can get when you plant it on a farm.

https://www.desmoinesregister.com/s...s-70-wadena-rock-festival-persevere/93808782/

AR-150629963.jpg&MaxH=500&MaxW=900

“It had all the elements, people, drugs, sex and rock ‘n’ roll, lawsuits, tripped-out hippies and parents looking for their runaways,” wrote a Gazette reporter who covered the Wadena Rock Festival in 1970.

The festival was supposed to be held in Galena, Ill. An injunction against Sound Storm Enterprises Inc. of Chicago, sponsor of the festival, put a stop to that, and the company began looking at sites in Wisconsin and Iowa in case its appeal fell through. They had invested $89,000 in the venture and were determined it would be held somewhere from July 31 to Aug. 2.

An announcement of the purchase July 25 of the 220-acre Clarence Schmitt farm, about two miles west of Wadena, by Wadena Development Co., an associate firm of Sound Storm, came as a shock to Fayette County officials. They tried feverishly to get an injunction filed against the rock festival in the three days before it commenced.

“We are not crotchety old men — instantly opposed to rock festivals — but we have no alternative other than to take action against the one planned in Wadena,” Fayette County Attorney Walter Sauer said July 28. Officials voiced concerns about safety, pollution and sanitation. The state health department was called in, while highway patrolmen studied traffic problems, especially the dusty gravel road leading to the site along the Volga River.

As the town fought to keep the rock festival from happening, it happened. More than 12,000 people already were at the site July 30 and thousands kept coming. At the peak of the event Aug. 1, the crowd was estimated at 40,000. The concert attendees told reporters they had known about the festival for several weeks.

A legal tangle surrounding the festival started Tuesday with an injunction filed by Supreme Court Justice C. Edwin Moore. The festival sponsor challenged it in Clayton County. The injunction was modified Friday to permit the festival if sanitation rules were met and a permit obtained. The tangle unraveled. Sound Storm rushed 100 portable toilets to the scene and several farmers leased farmland to Sound Storm for parking.

Festival attendees, waiting in the scorching, 90-degree heat for an afternoon without music, cheered the decision as the festival got underway.

Some of the rock groups that played in the continuous program were Johnny Winter, The Fuse, Illinois Speed Press, Rotary Connection, the Flying Burrito Brothers, the Chicken Shack, Mason Profit, Buffie St. Marie and Little Richard. Wine, beer and drugs were easily available along with sno-cones in the searing heat.

Gov. Robert Ray even made an appearance, telling the crowd to “have a good time.”

Many overheated attendees cooled off by skinny-dipping in the nearby Volga River.

The crowd was peaceful and drug use was under expectations. A Gazette reporter described it as “the social thing to do. For instance, the stage announcer kept asking for donations of drugs of any kind for the stage crew. ‘People, we want to be high just like you do,’ he put it. Donations came. Even the drugs at Wadena were successful. A doctor in the medical tent said the festival had ‘the best (most potent) drugs of any festival I’ve been to.’ But he also said there was far less serious drug abuse than most festivals.”

One problem developed Saturday when private planes, as many as 10 at a time, flew low and repeatedly over the festival grounds.

As the crowds dwindled Sunday night, Sound Storm was slapped with a $1,041,550 lawsuit because Attorney General Richard Turner said “everything Sound Storm Inc. has done has been illegal from start to finish.” The $1 million was for punitive damages, the rest to cover the expenses of law enforcement and staff of the attorney general and county attorney’s offices.

The Wadena festival and the ensuing lawsuit registered as the top Iowa news story of 1970.

All that was collected from the festival promoters was $22,500.

The farm, the sole asset of the Wadena Development Co, stood abandoned until it was sold at auction in 1973 for unpaid taxes. The new owner, Rex Niles, turned it into a cornfield, but still found remnants of the festival a decade later, including two sacks of marijuana in his barn.

The festival was repeated on July 29, 1995, at the Jerod Miller farm, one mile east of Wadena. It was restricted to 12 hours and 5,000 tickets to see bands such as Starship, Dr. Hook and the Edgar Winter Band. Most attendees were 35 to 40 years old. Relief from the heat was a water hose.

https://www.thegazette.com/subject/...me-machine-1970-wadena-rock-festival-20150622

Reactions: jellyfish10
Didn't attend (I was 8), but my family had a cabin in the Guttenberg area and we were there when it went down. Cars and hippies were everywhere before and after the concert. The campground our cabin was located at had about 50 different tents set up of attendees who traveled the US from festival to festival. Lots of skinny dipping right in front of our cabin, first time I saw naked human beings out in the open. I distinctly remember a bunch of girls, couldn't have been much more than 18 years old, walking around the campground topless the entire time. I remember they put up a sign at the frontage road leading to our campground where it met US52 that simply stated "The Tribe" with an arrow pointing down our road.

Crazy atmosphere, thinking back on it. I wish I was about 8 years older obviously to understand it all better as well as to have some Adult Type Fun.

I also remember the local newspapers and TV newscasts...very big story back in the day. Heard about it before, during and after and it had sort of an aura about it for about a decade after.

When I first got my driver's license, my friends and I drove up to where it was held. There were still a lot of abandoned cars left by concert-goers leading into and out of the area.

A guy I used to work with told me about the drugs brought in and how they were marketed. There were a couple semi trailers with their doors opened with signs posting prices of just about anything you can think of from that era. Different types of reefer (Panama Red, Sensimilla, Kona, Skunk, etc), uppers, downers, types of LSD (blotter, dots, sugar cubes etc)...your basic Hunter S. Thompson Starter Kit of choices.

Didn't attend (I was 8), but my family had a cabin in the Guttenberg area and we were there when it went down. Cars and hippies were everywhere before and after the concert. The campground our cabin was located at had about 50 different tents set up of attendees who traveled the US from festival to festival. Lots of skinny dipping right in front of our cabin, first time I saw naked human beings out in the open. I distinctly remember a bunch of girls, couldn't have been much more than 18 years old, walking around the campground topless the entire time. I remember they put up a sign at the frontage road leading to our campground where it met US52 that simply stated "The Tribe" with an arrow pointing down our road.

Crazy atmosphere, thinking back on it. I wish I was about 8 years older obviously to understand it all better as well as to have some Adult Type Fun.

I also remember the local newspapers and TV newscasts...very big story back in the day. Heard about it before, during and after and it had sort of an aura about it for about a decade after.

When I first got my driver's license, my friends and I drove up to where it was held. There were still a lot of abandoned cars left by concert-goers leading into and out of the area.

A guy I used to work with told me about the drugs brought in and how they were marketed. There were a couple semi trailers with their doors opened with signs posting prices of just about anything you can think of from that era. Different types of reefer (Panama Red, Sensimilla, Kona, Skunk, etc), uppers, downers, types of LSD (blotter, dots, sugar cubes etc)...your basic Hunter S. Thompson Starter Kit of choices.

Good stuff. I had you in mind when I started the thread.

Go to Barney's in Wadena and see some of the pictures. Lots of total nudity there.

Go to Barney's in Wadena and see some of the pictures. Lots of total nudity there.
So you like the dick pics and shag carpeting pics? Ok.

We know the owners of Barneys in Wadena. The most interesting poster or pic they have is of the playbill that listed the bands. It actually is called GalenaFest as WadenaFest was supposed to happen in Galena but the sheriff put the kibosh on it. The sponsors of the fest found land for sale and bought it and the rest is history.

Julie has some great stories about the fest. They also have pic of Gov. Ray addressing the crowd, telling them to have fun and be safe. I have more but that seems enough.

Reactions: jellyfish10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT