ADVERTISEMENT

Wadley shouldn't have been yanked

He'd been warned. He broke the rule again anyway. He was flagged, and a TD was reversed as a result. KF sat him for a series. Hopefully he won't do it again.

Reactions: RogerKint
ok... just to clarify... because this is an important point...

you say he changed his stride... and he did...

but that's not against the rules...

imagine its 4th and 1 at the goal line.
the quarterback hands the ball off to the running back and the running back changes his stride and jumps into the end zone...

no no... think about this...

he is doing the same thing.... so how is this different from what Wadley did?

Wadley has a Defender directly behind him 3 to 4 yards in that image I shared... and that's after the Defender let up...

he is CLEARLY being pursued... so again... how is that different from the goal line situation I mentioned above?

its not.... there is no possible way to justify that flag...

and I guarantee... you will NEVER see that called ever again.

and lets face it... a week from now we will have all forgotten about it.
ok... so those guys in Las Vegas win again and there's nothing we can do about it..
the only real solution to this problem is having the referees take questions from reporters after each game.
Wadley was at the 6 or 7 yard line, the closest defender was at the 12. Look, it was a stupid call that never happens but you can't say he was trying to avoid being tackled.

DKGLhQfUIAA6XxY.jpg

here you see 2 defenders going after Akrum Wadley.

the advantage of taking those 2 long steps is if one of those defenders dive and swipe at his feet... Akrum, because of the long strides, can still be able to keep his balance and make his way into the end zone...

the longer the strides.... the easier it becomes to keep balance and get that one more push off the other leg.

its not taunting... at all... its a football move...

he is taking 2 steps that are longer than normal steps... that's not taunting.

if this is the standard.... we need to determine exactly how long is too long.. when a ball carrier is running into the end zone....

is 3 feet acceptable and 4 feet a penalty?.... where do you draw the line?

what I am seeing.... are a bunch of people supporting the penalty... because its easier that way.. they don't have to think so much... and that's fine...
but I for one think this penalty is very bad for football.....

it won't hold water, I guarantee it...

you will never see a call like that ever again.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

DKG-hRxUIAApy79.jpg

I agree with Akrum Wadley...

North Texas was never flagged for the taunting after their first touchdown...

yet Akrum gets flagged for trying to avoid being tackled on his way to the end zone.

think about it.

Wadley was not benched, he went to the bench after just running 70 yards, Butler came in and finished the drive, then on Iowa's next possession it was Butlers series.
the series after that one Wadley took himself out because of a leg injury and the staff kept him on the side lines to avoid any serious damage, the staff got a real good look at the future in Young and Martin, the 2 combined for 152 yards rushing in the 2nd half on 30 total carries,

Not that it makes anyone feel better but Purdue was flagged for the same thing on a long TD very reminiscent of Wadley's touchdown in their game against Missouri.

it was nice seeing the BTN Live crew completely agree with me that there should not have been a flag on that play.

Brandon Williams (former Wisconsin receiver) said
"I don't think that that play warranted an excessive celebration penalty"

Glen Mason said
"how did he not know there wasn't a guy diving at his feet?"

like I said before... it was a football move... and he got penalized for it.

ADVERTISEMENT