ADVERTISEMENT

Warner lost for one reason

There were three or so really dumb coaching decisions in this one that did not put our guys in the best position to win. That is really freaking disappointing.

Don’t go down on Weigel and why the heck are we riding in 3rd with 3 min of ride time locked. The guy is gassed... take him down on his feet. Unbelievable.

Trying to ride there was a poor choice. Maybe they thought they could get a stall call but that is not happening on the road.

Reactions: hawknut
I didn't mind Warner going down in the second but not cutting him was not cool.

This is where I’m at. He wore his ass out from bottom and was in prime position to take that match in the 3rd. I think maybe he was trying to get Weigel dinged with another stall call or caution then cut him. I think Warner sensed the match was going his way and dropped his guard when he allowed the reversal. Still, that’s a match Warner will most likely win in March.

Reactions: natchrlman
You know what - Warner had some confidence and thought he could get away. Also, he is good on top and probably figured lets see if I can turn this tired opponent. Also, he probably figured this is a good way to get some information in case I wrestle him in March. Sometimes learning comes with a loss. I love that he had the guts to take bottom and the heart to try to turn him. Just because he lost does not mean it was poor strategy. It just did not work out (this time).

Well he also had zero takedowns and his ride was not good. So hardly "only."

I liked his lungs. Showed some growth I thought despite not getting out.

Weigel was gassed. I like Warner's chances from neutral there if he safe rides for a minute and then pushes hard for the TD. Weigel had no stall calls to spare. Agreed with OP that it wasn't a smart 3rd period by Warner. He would have been ok to ride the first part of the period, but he can't get high looking for a cheap junk tilt.

Reactions: natchrlman
45 seconds of head on the mat avoiding wrist control and not one stall call... He gets that call and I bet he cuts him

He was not going to win by riding him there.
You knew this how? Half the matches he has won since midlands is because of his top game. He would have still had a chance to get a td if he didn’t get reversed. That’s on him

You knew this how? Half the matches he has won since midlands is because of his top game. He would have still had a chance to get a td if he didn’t get reversed. That’s on him

Riding out a ranked guy - if you’re not a leg staller - is heroic. Cutting a guy and getting a TD is simply getting the job done.

The best chance of winning was to cut him and get your TD.

I think the statement about Iowa fans backing off thy he expectations is a sound one.
I hope the kids themselves have those high standards, but not even Lee could live up to the preseason expectations that many had.
He probably is a 4/5 seed right now at nationals.

Nobody thought that was possible preseason.

I am planning to go to PA. Had been to about 30 straight but work kept .e away for the last 7 or 8.

I will support them! All I want to see as a fan is effort. Everything else will fall into place.

Weigel was gassed. I like Warner's chances from neutral there if he safe rides for a minute and then pushes hard for the TD. Weigel had no stall calls to spare. Agreed with OP that it wasn't a smart 3rd period by Warner. He would have been ok to ride the first part of the period, but he can't get high looking for a cheap junk tilt.

I also would have cut him. Completely agree. That wasn't what I disagreed with.

Riding out a ranked guy - if you’re not a leg staller - is heroic. Cutting a guy and getting a TD is simply getting the job done.

The best chance of winning was to cut him and get your TD.
Opinion and not as straight forward as you’re suggesting. It’s not an unreasonable choice, but neither was the decision made.

Warner lost because he doesn't have a killer mentality. Tried what he thought was the easy way out, even brands alluded to that .

The biggest problem I see with the Hawks is they either wrestle scared or too conservative ( however you want to phrase it). Warner comes out and wrestles with some confidence and goes for a tilt and gets reversed. Good for him for going for it. That attitude is more important than winning dual. For what it is worth, Venz lost in the third going for a tilt against Cash. Lets see how that plays out. A kid who is going for it in February is much better in March than a kid who is just trying to win by being conservative. Sure Warner lost, but my hat is off to him for showing heart and fight and courage. He is moving in the right direction. IMHO!

The biggest problem I see with the Hawks is they either wrestle scared or too conservative ( however you want to phrase it). Warner comes out and wrestles with some confidence and goes for a tilt and gets reversed. Good for him for going for it. That attitude is more important than winning dual. For what it is worth, Venz lost in the third going for a tilt against Cash. Lets see how that plays out. A kid who is going for it in February is much better in March than a kid who is just trying to win by being conservative. Sure Warner lost, but my hat is off to him for showing heart and fight and courage. He is moving in the right direction. IMHO!

Agreed that I liked his confidence today. I just think he takes that match if he cuts himself. Better now than in the post season as you're said.

Reactions: grapplefann
Weigel has been out for quite awhile. His shape may better later.
He actually shot today as did Young and Murin. Keep that up!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT