ADVERTISEMENT

Disturbing tidbit

Not true. See Jared Franek.
giphy.gif

Unless you are 1,3,5, or 7 wrestling in a championship tournament at the end of a season. You lose your last match. Most wrestlers will end their careers with a loss! Brutal sport in so many ways!!!

If you knew that, then you probably knew your point was weak.
Sorry, but if you couldn’t smell the obvious sarcasm with my post, I can’t help you. I mean seriously what positive take could anyone possibly glean from wrestlers winning their 2nd to last match of the season?! It was intended to be a mild roast of the OPs moot point as if any Hawk fans would have felt that much better about the tourney as a whole if Franek finished 7th instead of 8th or Caliendo/Woods 3rd instead of 4th? The big problem was that 6 of our starters didn’t get on the podium, and it stands to reason that if you failed to reach the podium, you didn’t get a W in your last match.

Last edited:
Sorry, but if you couldn’t smell the obvious sarcasm with my post, I can’t help you. I mean seriously what positive take could anyone possibly glean from wrestlers winning their 2nd to the last match of the season?! It was intended to be a mild roast of the OPs moot point as if any Hawk fans would have felt that much better about the tourney as a whole if Franek finished 7th instead of 8th or Caliendo/Woods 3rd instead of 4th? The big problem was that 6 of our starters didn’t get on the podium, and it’s stands to reason that if you failed to reach podium, you didn’t get a W in your last match.
Alright alright, fair enough. Though, I do think it feels worse that all our guys lost their last match of the season.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Losing the last match sucks. Finishing with a win for 3rd, 5th, 7th is a silver lining when you haven’t made it to #1.

I don’t think I’ve ever been as depressed as when Mike Evans walked the long, slow walk out of the arena after his 6th place finish to end his career. Something about his body language and going out on a loss was just tough to watch.

Losing the last match sucks. Finishing with a win for 3rd, 5th, 7th is a silver lining when you haven’t made it to #1.

I don’t think I’ve ever been as depressed as when Mike Evans walked the long, slow walk out of the arena after his 6th place finish to end his career. Something about his body language and going out on a loss was just tough to watch.
Did he even attempt a set-up that match, let alone a shot? That was depressing.

Sorry, but if you couldn’t smell the obvious sarcasm with my post, I can’t help you. I mean seriously what positive take could anyone possibly glean from wrestlers winning their 2nd to last match of the season?! It was intended to be a mild roast of the OPs moot point as if any Hawk fans would have felt that much better about the tourney as a whole if Franek finished 7th instead of 8th or Caliendo/Woods 3rd instead of 4th? The big problem was that 6 of our starters didn’t get on the podium, and it stands to reason that if you failed to reach the podium, you didn’t get a W in your last match.
I like odd numbers….,

Reactions: artradley

I didn’t see the walk but I can tell you I was the opposite of depressed over not having to ever watch him wrestle again.

I didn’t see the walk but I can tell you I was the opposite of depressed over not having to ever watch him wrestle again.
Too bad you didn’t realize what we were losing at the time. How’d you feel afterward when we went from 6-6-6 with Evans to 8-R12-NQ the next 3 years at 174?

And lost all our personality?

01252014_iowawrestlingvsminnesota_mike-evans-013.jpg

Too bad you didn’t realize what we were losing at the time. How’d you feel afterward when we went from 6-6-6 with Evans to 8-R12-NQ the next 3 years at 174?

And lost all our personality?

01252014_iowawrestlingvsminnesota_mike-evans-013.jpg

The personality might have been the worst part. All the tough guy talk without the results to back it up. There’s nothing interesting about that.

Three years of watching a guy underachieve and regress might have been exciting for you. Not to me.

Mike Evans is a microcosm of the issues in the Iowa program.

Last edited:
The personality might have been the worst part. All the tough guy talk without the results to back it up. There’s nothing interesting about that.

Three years of watching a guy underachieve and regress might have been exciting for you. Not to me.
The rabid crowd that ALWAYS fed off Mike’s on-mat persona would disagree. with you. We loved that dude for his fire.

So yeah, maybe he underachieved in terms of NCAA seed, but there is nothing in 6-6-6 to support your case of regression. Model of consistency, actually.

Reactions: ibahwkfan
The rabid crowd that ALWAYS fed off Mike’s on-mat persona would disagree. with you. We loved that dude for his fire.

So yeah, maybe he underachieved in terms of NCAA seed, but there is nothing in 6-6-6 to support your case of regression. Model of consistency, actually.

We did? Maybe early in his career. The crowd was too busy snoring later.

If you’re not moving up the podium you’re regressing.

Reactions: Sandor45

I loved Mike Evans, but coming out of HS he was the number one 189lber in the country from the best HS team (Blair Academy) in the country. He achieved more in HS than many of the guys that beat him in duals, B10s and Nationals. I don’t think he regressed, but he certainly underachieved and didn’t improve. If you go back and watch his close losses as a freshman and compare them to the ones he lost as a senior, you’d have a hard time separating the two. Mike was tough as nails and well conditioned, but in hindsight there was something missing.

Reactions: el dub
I loved Mike Evans, but coming out of HS he was the number one 189lber in the country from the best HS team (Blair Academy) in the country. He achieved more in HS than many of the guys that beat him in duals, B10s and Nationals. I don’t think he regressed, but he certainly underachieved and didn’t improve. If you go back and watch his close losses as a freshman and compare them to the ones he lost as a senior, you’d have a hard time separating the two. Mike was tough as nails and well conditioned, but in hindsight there was something missing.
Fair enough. But I think there is a common denominator to the bolded. These observations seem applicable to a lot of guys in the program over the years.

Reactions: so cal hawkfan
Fair enough. But I think there is a common denominator to the bolded. These observations seem applicable to a lot of guys in the program over the years.
He was top 60 with results four years running. Pretty sure he came into the program ranked higher?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT