ADVERTISEMENT

WBB 2018-2019 SEASON

I sure would like to see what Zion and/or Tomi can do. Maybe risky, it being one of the toughest contests of the year, but Lexi just isn't bringing it. Nice 3 toward the end of the half at least. Hopefully she has a few more in the 2nd half.

Megan needs more help, especially from the guards. If the ones playing aren't getting it done maybe give Zion, Tomi, or Logan a chance. I love this team but I think just playing 7 is going to hurt them at the end of the season. Plus it will help for next year. Just my opinion.

Megan needs more help, especially from the guards. If the ones playing aren't getting it done maybe give Zion, Tomi, or Logan a chance. I love this team but I think just playing 7 is going to hurt them at the end of the season. Plus it will help for next year. Just my opinion.

I would also like to Tomi and Logan get a chance, because their potential ability to help seems like an open question.

I would also like to Tomi and Logan get a chance, because their potential ability to help seems like an open question.
Based on the last 18 years, that probably won’t happen. At this point, if the frosh haven’t played, they’re probably not going to play.

I don’t mean to sound too jerk-ish but I watched about half the game and can’t say I’m impressed with this team.

Varies from game to game. When they're on, we roll. But they all have consistency issues, especially in contrast with Gustafson, who is uncanny.

Michigan State has a freshman that scored 27 points in the win over Iowa. I don't think Iowa has any freshman that can do that this year. It's two years in a row that Iowa doesn't have any freshman contributor. I remember just a few years back Iowa had a player on the All Big Ten freshmen team two or three years in a row.

Iowa has three Sophs. Lexi (RS Soph), Paula, and Zion.
Lexi had a good FR year. Led the team in 3ptrs, 9.7 ppg. Down this year. Paula and Zion are bench players.
This years FR have flashed potential, but aren't getting a chance lately.
Kate Martin is RS. Monika had a 15 point game. Only getting 7 minutes per hame. Tomi isn't getting minutes, neither is Logan.
To be a B1G all FR Player you need to play, and there has to be a reason to play. With all the guards, and two SRs on the inside, the minutes aren't there to be had.

When Sevillian came into the game she started with 2 turnovers, almost 3, plus 2 air balls. Lisa might as well play freshmen and get them some experience. From what I've seen of Zion this year she seems to have played as well or better then Sevillian. I just think Tomi has far more potential then either of these 2 and should get playing time. I thought with Tania back it would make this team a lot better than last year, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I don't know. Maybe it's not all the players, maybe the coaches deserve some of the blame. If I'm not mistaken the one that coaches the guards is the new one that is in her second season here. Maybe she just wasn't a good hire.
Now that I've ranted on you can go ahead and tear me apart. I just thought this was going to be a special season like those that picked Iowa to finish 2nd in the Big. Here's to best wishes for the rest of the season. Hope they get it figured out.

I think we'll have a nice record and get into the NCAA. But I'm not holding my breath for 2nd place in the conference. MSU just showed the 'Creighton strategy' still works (ie, concede MG her points and contain everyone else). OTOH, playing at MSU is one of the bigger challenges in the B10. Particularly if you end up with a set of let-'um-play refs, as happens a lot these days.

Re: Sevillian, a year ago when Davis went down, she played really well for a multi-game stretch. I was wondering if we'd redshirted the wrong guard the year before. But since then she's been for the most part underwhelming, I'll agree.

I haven't seen the MSU game yet (I plan to watch the replay on the ESPN app), but per the official stats, Sevillian was 3-7 shooting with no TO's. Doyle was 4-13, Meyer 2-7, Davis 2-8. Davis and Stewart were the TO leaders at 3 each. Plenty of blame to spread around.

Last edited:
This is a good team but our guard play keeps it from being really good. Lisa will play freshman, for a number of years we had a freshman that made an impact right away. Sam, Allie, Megan, Meyer,Tia, Doyle the Indiana and Wisconsin guards that left early, Printy, and likely others I have missed. We didn't see Martin, but I think the last 2 classes didn't have players of that ability or Lisa would be playing them

This is a NCAA team. A win at MSU would have been nice but they competed hard and Lisa had them ready. Losing on the road to a ranked team like we did happens. Now the men at MSU was a debaucle and our game with Bryant was also . Of the 2 teams on bad nights, the men are a mess

When Sevillian came into the game she started with 2 turnovers, almost 3, plus 2 air balls. Lisa might as well play freshmen and get them some experience. From what I've seen of Zion this year she seems to have played as well or better then Sevillian. I just think Tomi has far more potential then either of these 2 and should get playing time. I thought with Tania back it would make this team a lot better than last year, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
I don't know. Maybe it's not all the players, maybe the coaches deserve some of the blame. If I'm not mistaken the one that coaches the guards is the new one that is in her second season here. Maybe she just wasn't a good hire.
Now that I've ranted on you can go ahead and tear me apart. I just thought this was going to be a special season like those that picked Iowa to finish 2nd in the Big. Here's to best wishes for the rest of the season. Hope they get it figured out.

I'd echo this.
I understand games can get away and everyone has bad shooting stretches, but to go from 5-8 up to getting dusted in the end......

Hawks tough out a win over Nebraska, 77-71. Turnovers and missed FT kept it from being a 15 point win.
Megan was honored before the game for her scoring and rebounding records. She then proceeded to score 28 and haul down 17 rebounds. She was also knocked to the floor about 10 times without a foul being called. Refs had some baffling calls, and no-calls.
Hannah had some big offensive rebounds at the end. The 3pt shooting was off again. Tania played well. Mak seemed off, I wonder if she was sick. She didn't seem to have energy.
kathleen had a nice offensive surge at the end.
Monika, Tomi. got a few minutes. Tomi hit a three.

Bluder knows her team better than anyone (and we won so who am I to question) but she admitted in a Gazette article that she "doesn't like to take chances" playing a deeper bench during games. Seems to me there's as much a risk, if not a greater one, playing such a short bench. Tomi plays good minutes. Zion is .500 shooting threes. Those guys may be able to make teammates game's better. But most importantly, minutes for those guys means rest for the starters, which is important in individual games, and as the season wears on. Also - Whoo Hooo beating Nebby! NU was 2-0 in the B1G and playing well.

Reactions: blackett73
Hawks tough out a win over Nebraska, 77-71. Turnovers and missed FT kept it from being a 15 point win.
Megan was honored before the game for her scoring and rebounding records. She then proceeded to score 28 and haul down 17 rebounds. She was also knocked to the floor about 10 times without a foul being called. Refs had some baffling calls, and no-calls.
Hannah had some big offensive rebounds at the end. The 3pt shooting was off again. Tania played well. Mak seemed off, I wonder if she was sick. She didn't seem to have energy.
kathleen had a nice offensive surge at the end.
Monika, Tomi. got a few minutes. Tomi hit a three.

Why didn't Amanda play last night? They certainly could have used her to eat up some minutes and play tough defense. Injured I presume?

And win or lose, Tim Daley continues to be one horrible referee.

Lisa used more players last night than in the previous two games, but the starters played more minutes than they had in those games.

Mac struggled but did have some assists. Bluder should have taken her out long before she did last night and give Tomi and Zion a couple extra minutes IMHO.
Nebraska is hard to guard. I like their 6-2 and 6-3 players that can shoot 3s or drive. Hopefully the 6-2 wing we have coming in next year will help us.

"Box score says she did play....only 4 minutes and no stats."

Thanks. Guess I missed it. Either that or they credited her with some of Monika's minutes. Either way the bench obviously needs to be used more.

Mac struggled but did have some assists. Bluder should have taken her out long before she did last night and give Tomi and Zion a couple extra minutes IMHO.
Nebraska is hard to guard. I like their 6-2 and 6-3 players that can shoot 3s or drive. Hopefully the 6-2 wing we have coming in next year will help us.

Puzzling how Meyer has gone from the new Melissa Dixon her freshman year to a poor shooter now when they are desperate for a consistent 3-point threat. 0-4 last night and 30.7% on the season. She has not been the same since her hand injury a year ago. Maybe it is mental. I think Sevillian should start and let Meyer come off the bench, maybe with less pressure on her.

Puzzling how Meyer has gone from the new Melissa Dixon her freshman year to a poor shooter now when they are desperate for a consistent 3-point threat. 0-4 last night and 30.7% on the season. She has not been the same since her hand injury a year ago. Maybe it is mental. I think Sevillian should start and let Meyer come off the bench, maybe with less pressure on her.

I agree with Sevillian and Mac switch. Funny, I said to my wife this morning, Melissa Dixon has spoiled us forever.

Reactions: 12Pitcher!
Amanda did play. I didn't mention her because she had been one of the 7 that had been seeing time.

Agreed, although I'd prefer to keep Sevillian under 30 minutes, and play Taiwo more. There is precident - Kamile Whalin was benched about this time her junior season because she was "hurting the team" per Bluder. She came back and played well afterward.

Reactions: LinusPF
No question Meyer has experienced a slump. However, she needs to resist the urge to become passive and forego her shots, particularly in Carver. As Fred Brown and Chris Kingsbury would say... "shooters got to shoot!"

Doyle throws some of the dumbest passes. We are going to suck next year without Megan and Hanna. When you have recruiting classes like the last two- where none is good enough to “claim” minutes you have future problems. This next class better have three superstars

I like Doyle, and she had several bright spots including those drives when Neb was coming back, but I have to agree on the passes. To be fair, she isn't the only one doing that.

I like Doyle, and she had several bright spots including those drives when Neb was coming back, but I have to agree on the passes. To be fair, she isn't the only one doing that.
Year end year out Bluder's teams are lousy passers as far as I am concerned. Especially perimeter players.

I know this thread is about this year, but where are the points for next year coming? About 40 points is going to have to come from somewhere.

Pencil in Doyle, and Monika. After this Lisa may have to do like she did 2 years ago play 2 groups early in the season and see who takes the step forward and separates themselves.

Mak will be a starter. She plays good defense, leads the team in assists, and brings the ball up the court. She has always been streaky shooting. A lot of in-and-out shots lately.

Pencil in Doyle, and Monika. After this Lisa may have to do like she did 2 years ago play 2 groups early in the season and see who takes the step forward and separates themselves.

Mark me down as NOT a fan of the 2 group strategy.

Reactions: JAMAM
Iowa won against Wisconsin for the 20th straight time last night.
Megan had 21 and 12 with players hanging on her arms all night.
Kathleen had a good game, 15 points and 7 assists. Was 3-6 from 3pt.
Mak broke her shooting slump hitting 4-7 with a couple of threes for 10 points. She continued her great floor play with 5 assists , 0 Turnovers, and a couple of steals.Also had a blocked shot. she is tied with Hannah for 2nd on the team behind megan.
Hannah had 11, could have had a lot more, she missed a bunch of close shots.
The final was 71-53. Everyone got in.

Reactions: seam
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT