ADVERTISEMENT

WBB - Looking for a grad transfer post player?

Was Gustafson a starter as a freshman? I know Coley was a sophomore and played center during part of her Iowa career, so I'm not sure if it's Gustafson or Coley that was the starting center in 2015-2016.

She started 14 of 33 games and averaged 22.5 minutes per game. To keep the comparison with Monika going, Monika is averaging 5.6 minutes per game this season.

Megan Meyer is slight of build which will make her transition to college ball tougher. I've seen Gabby Marshall play once this year and felt she had a more complete game than Megan Meyer, but that was only one game. Kathleen Doyle will be the point guard and unquestioned leader next year, you have to love her grit and competitiveness and she was 2nd team All BIG.
Kathleen Doyle was first team All BIG.

Reactions: INXS83
Two years ago Iowa switched to the triangle offense to take advantage of the roster situation with Chase, Megan and Hannah being so good in the high/low post game. This year Hannah replaced Chase and Amanda took over for Hannah in the back-up role. Next year I think we will see a return to the previous offense. (It was referred to as the read-and-react offense but is essentially a four out or four guard offense.) One of the main differences is that the “4” position plays more of a perimeter role similar to the wings. In this [stretch] role the “4” has a ‘green light to shoot 3-pointers. I can even imagine them using a five out (or extended high post triangle) offense with Logan, Makenna and/or Amanda extending the high post to the 3-point line. I would not rule Paula out in that scenario. Regardless, I have no doubt that they will play more in transition (including breaking after made shots) and shoot more 3-pointers. I would expect FG shooting % overall to decline but 3-pt FG % to rise slightly. With a faster tempo, there is likely to be more possessions and more shot attempts. Turnovers are likely to increase also but the defense should have more steals as well. I think rebounding is going to be an unknown factor but I believe it could actually improve. I believe that teams will not try to press Iowa but while I have no idea if Iowa will try pressing, I think it could be possible. Finally, I believe they will use their bench for more minutes and the scoring should be much more balanced.

Although it will be nearly impossible to replicate the success of this years team, it should still be an exciting season nonetheless to see who will be the new starters and especially, the next back-ups to step up into those roles. With the returning experience at guard and the young talent returning and coming in, this team next season should be able to make huge improvements from the beginning to the end. They also are due for their summer foreign trip which will provide them with extra time practicing and playing together which should help immensely. I have faith that they can win another 20 games next year and return to the NCAA tournament. Go Hawks.

Last edited:
IMO I think Iowa will be lucky to finish 8th or better. My money would be below the 8th place team.

I agree on Monica, and she has shown her ability to score. Iowa will have 3 senior guards coming back, and that is critical. I hope to see Amanda step up her game for her senior year.
What has led you to that conclusion? She does not have very good hands in the post.

At this point, I expect Amanda Ollinger to be the tallest starter next year.

I agree on Monica, and she has shown her ability to score. Iowa will have 3 senior guards coming back, and that is critical. I hope to see Amanda step up her game for her senior year.
If you consider Amanda a guard, you are correct. If not, only two senior guards.

Not much production from someone 6-5 playing 9 min. per game. I wish Lisa could land someone that tall or taller.

I would say not much production for someone who was ranked in the top fifty in her class. A lot depends on her reason(s) for transferring. Transfers raise alarm and cause reason for caution.

Iowa still has a chance to bring in a similarly tall player for the 2020 class.

I would say not much production for someone who was ranked in the top fifty in her class. A lot depends on her reason(s) for transferring. Transfers raise alarm and cause reason for caution. Iowa still has a chance to bring in a similarly tall player for the 2020 class.

I heard someone ask Jan Jensen at the banquet yesterday whether they are still actively recruiting for a center in this year's class. She said not really, unless they find someone they are really excited about. Those are pretty hard to find this late in the game.

Lisa Bluder said in her speech that they are expecting Monika to play a big role next year. Plus, I know they already have a center coming in the 2020 class, Sharon Goodman. She is a nice 6-3 post from Crestwood. If they found a 6-6 center, I am sure they would take her too but there are not many of them.

Reactions: cyberhawk
Amanda's a forward and Alexis will be a junior, but a 4th year junior.
I would characterize Amanda, as well as Logan [Cook] and newcomer Makenna Warnock as stretch forwards, wing forwards or guard/forwards. Due to their size, mobility/agility, and shooting range, they may be able to post down low or stretch the high post to the three point line.

I heard someone ask Jan Jensen at the banquet yesterday whether they are still actively recruiting for a center in this year's class. She said not really, unless they find someone they are really excited about. Those are pretty hard to find this late in the game.

Lisa Bluder said in her speech that they are expecting Monika to play a big role next year. Plus, I know they already have a center coming in the 2020 class, Sharon Goodman. She is a nice 6-3 post from Crestwood. If they found a 6-6 center, I am sure they would take her too but there are not many of them.
Jan may just be hedging a little due to uncertainty. There is at least one very good prospect who is known to still have Iowa on her [semi] short (10 schools) list. Iowa’s chances are probably no better than 10%. I’m still hoping.

That is good to hear about Monica. I have a lot of faith in her but I certainly wouldn’t expect her to totally replace Megan.

I really believe Iowa will return to the read and react offense. But then I also remember seeing at least one very unconventional set in the N.C. State game, so who knows. The suspense is going to make for a very interesting and hopefully exciting season. Go Hawks.

Last edited:
Reactions: mphawk
One thing I saw from Monika this year that worries me about next year is if she can stay out of foul trouble. It will be interesting to see who her backup is.

One thing I saw from Monika this year that worries me about next year is if she can stay out of foul trouble. It will be interesting to see who her backup is.

Monika getting in foul trouble concerns me as well. I think her offensive production will be fine, rebounding should be decent along with Amanda but the other starters need to step up too. I've wrote this a few times, I think Logan Cook will get some minutes at the post much like Claire Till (6'0) did backing up Bethany Doolittle, she had 5 fouls to give and played physical.

Two years ago Iowa switched to the triangle offense to take advantage of the roster situation with Chase, Megan and Hannah being so good in the high/low post game. This year Hannah replaced Chase and Amanda took over for Hannah in the back-up role. Next year I think we will see a return to the previous offense. (It was referred to as the read-and-react offense but is essentially a four out or four guard offense.) One of the main differences is that the “4” position plays more of a perimeter role similar to the wings. In this [stretch] role the “4” has a ‘green light to shoot 3-pointers. I can even imagine them using a five out (or extended high post triangle) offense with Logan, Makenna and/or Amanda extending the high post to the 3-point line. I would not rule Paula out in that scenario. Regardless, I have no doubt that they will play more in transition (including breaking after made shots) and shoot more 3-pointers. I would expect FG shooting % overall to decline but 3-pt FG % to rise slightly. With a faster tempo, there is likely to be more possessions and more shot attempts. Turnovers are likely to increase also but the defense should have more steals as well. I think rebounding is going to be an unknown factor but I believe it could actually improve. I believe that teams will not try to press Iowa but while I have no idea if Iowa will try pressing, I think it could be possible. Finally, I believe they will use their bench for more minutes and the scoring should be much more balanced.

Although it will be nearly impossible to replicate the success of this years team, it should still be an exciting season nonetheless to see who will be the new starters and especially, the next back-ups to step up into those roles. With the returning experience at guard and the young talent returning and coming in, this team next season should be able to make huge improvements from the beginning to the end. They also are due for their summer foreign trip which will provide them with extra time practicing and playing together which should help immensely. I have faith that they can win another 20 games next year and return to the NCAA tournament. Go Hawks.
I hope you're right but IMO Iowa will be lucky to finish above 500 and will be in the bottom of the B1G..Olinger and Czinano are below average in the B1G

Paula is the logical backup but the comments that I’ve seen here from a few posters on this forum seem to suggest that she is inadequate. I’m not sure what makes them think that but I hope it’s not true. I just have faith that Lisa knows what she is doing.

Last edited:
Paula is the logical backup but the comments that I’ve seen here from a few posters on this forum seem to suggest that she is inadequate. I’m not sure what makes them think that but I hope it’s not true. I just have faith that Lisa knows what she is doing.
I would agree that Paula is the logical backup. But face it after 2 years what have we seen from her, she is always the last player to see action usually within the final minute in mop up. I hope things begin to click and she can have a role next year. My guess is that Amanda slides in to back up Monika and Logan or Mckenna play the 4 position.

I think it's mostly because we haven't seen her play any meaningful minutes in two years. It's possible that she's better than we expect, or that she makes a jump in the off-season, but we haven't seen any evidence of that so far.

Am I reading Ware's post right, she'll be playing WBB and VB? Pretty rare, AFAIK.

Here is a good scouting report about Paula and Monica by the late oakhawk from prior to the 2018 fall semester and copied from last seasons thread ...

oakhawk HR Heisman
Paula Ramos didn't get a lot of minutes last year, but she was productive in those. Extrapolated out to starter minutes she averaged a double-double. Of course she got end of the game minutes, but she also was sharing the court with other bench players.
She has length and a shooting touch. Rebounds well. A bit slow of foot on defense, whuch leads to reaching and fouling.
I like what I have seen from Monika Czinano. She is also 6-3 and strong. Isn't afraid to mix it up. Can shoot it out to 15 feet with touch. She isn't going to score 26ppg, but I could see some 20 point games in her future. Good rebounder. She knows how to post up and call for the ball. Will body up on defense. She still needs some conditioning to be able to run the court, but if she follows Megans lead, she can be a good post for the Hawks.
Neither is another Megan, but the country has very few that are.
Jan Jensen does a great job of developing posts.From Jaime Cavey to Morgan Johnson, Bethany Doolittle, Megan Skouby.

860 Aug 21, 2018

Am I reading Ware's post right, she'll be playing WBB and VB? Pretty rare, AFAIK.

Lauren has yet to decide what sport she wants to play in college. Playing both would be nearly impossible as the seasons overlap. Regardless, she is one heck of an athlete to be a top recruit nationally in both sports.

Here is a good scouting report about Paula and Monica by the late oakhawk from prior to the 2018 fall semester and copied from last seasons thread ...

oakhawk HR Heisman
Paula Ramos didn't get a lot of minutes last year, but she was productive in those. Extrapolated out to starter minutes she averaged a double-double. Of course she got end of the game minutes, but she also was sharing the court with other bench players.
She has length and a shooting touch. Rebounds well. A bit slow of foot on defense, whuch leads to reaching and fouling.
I like what I have seen from Monika Czinano. She is also 6-3 and strong. Isn't afraid to mix it up. Can shoot it out to 15 feet with touch. She isn't going to score 26ppg, but I could see some 20 point games in her future. Good rebounder. She knows how to post up and call for the ball. Will body up on defense. She still needs some conditioning to be able to run the court, but if she follows Megans lead, she can be a good post for the Hawks.
Neither is another Megan, but the country has very few that are.
Jan Jensen does a great job of developing posts.From Jaime Cavey to Morgan Johnson, Bethany Doolittle, Megan Skouby.

860 Aug 21, 2018

I remember that post from Oak. He is right, Jan Jensen is one of the best in the nation in post player development and Monika will be a strong post player for the future. Her averaging a double double (not 28 & 13) isn't out of the question as she will see a lot of minutes.

Paula is really going to have to improve significantly to see meaningful minutes as a Hawkeye. Even non-poster responded to that post her minutes/stats were against the end of the bench players on sub-500 small conference opponents. Great teammate by all accounts but the times we've all seen her in season and once out of it she appears to be more like a Nicole Smith. With that said, I would love to see her surprise and break out as I love a success story.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT