ADVERTISEMENT

WBB opens season with first practice

Not to blame the loss on one person, but our strategy (as it has been the last several games) was to feed the posts. But one of the posts looked totally uninterested tonight. Maybe she's not well. Finally made somewhat of a comeback once Coley sat practically the whole second half. Very, very disappointing given the importance of the game.

Last edited:
We have talent (and have played better ball with less), with more on the way. But the turnover monster has been something else this year, and will be interesting to see how the staff addresses that in the off-season.

Wondering if a rematch with the Clones in the WNIT is a possibility...

Well, the only chance for a NCAA spot is to win the B1G tournament. A miracle , in other words.
WNIT is a strong possibility. Maybe hosting.

I couldn't watch the game but I understand Whit played with something on her knee. I see in the box score she played 27 minutes and hit a couple 3s.

They all weren't on the same page last night. The guards tried to force the ball in the post several times while the post was being doubled, all turnovers. Megan is definitely the future at the post position as Chase doesn't have the frame or strength to play there against most Big Ten opponents except for back up minutes. There is a lot of talent & the incoming guards in 2016 need to be ready as this team needs to have consistent 3 points threats.

Been watching the defensive side of the ball & they need to get a new assistant that is defensive minded to "coordinate" that position who can teach good fundamentals. I know they will never be a lock down type of team/style but they need a better understanding of how to defend. Kachine Alexander who is coaching in ND I believe might fit the bill.

I wish our D could be better, but in most cases I think they do a pretty good job considering the athleticism they go up against compared to our athleticism. We do not have the athletes that Penn St, Maryland, Rutgers, Ohio State, and Purdue have, for example. That's part of the reason for our turnovers (only part of the reason) and getting beat on the boards many times. Lisa relies on out scoring her opponents and many times that is successful. I don't know the answer to play better defense, other than getting better players, and I think that has improved the last couple of years.

Well, the only chance for a NCAA spot is to win the B1G tournament. A miracle , in other words.
WNIT is a strong possibility. Maybe hosting.
I remember the last time like this was the 2004-05 season, Iowa also started great, became ranked before the Big Ten season started and was the last team in the nation to lose a game. Then things turned out not so well. Iowa ended up hosting the first round WNIT game in Cedar Rapids. I think they got to the semifinals. That was Jamie Cavey's senior year, and Crystal Smith's break out season.

Oh, and the team that shattered Iowa's dream that year was also Penn State. Gave Iowa's first loss.

Hawkeyes Finish Regular Season on High Note

Gustafson hits key shot with 48 seconds remaining to sink Illinois, 61-56

The Hawkeyes return to action Thursday at the Big Ten Tournament in Indianapolis. As the No. 8 or No. 9 seed, Iowa will play either Michigan or Nebraska and tip off at 11 a.m. (CT) from Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The winner takes on top-seeded Maryland on March 4 at 11 a.m.

Megan had another nice game. Whitney played well. The team let an early lead dwindle to two then poured in on in the 3rd to lead by 18. Then they had the 4th quarter blahs again and didn't sore a single point foe five and a half minutes. It got down to one point.

This fourth quarter performance by Iowa was no ordinary blah. They scored a total of 6 points, and only 2 in the first nine minutes. I don't care how underwhelming Iowa's defense has been throughout the years, but this kind of bad offense is unprecedented. And it has happened in many quarters during this season. The coaching staff needs to do some deep soul searching.

Not that I have any need to know, but it would be interesting to learn what the heck happened to Peschel this season, as well as why Kastanek regressed. Some more upperclassmen leadership would have gone a long way toward slowing down the turnovers and 4Q collapses. Regardless of how much talent is coming in with the next class, the turnover/collapse problem has to get solved by the current players IMHO.

Reactions: LinusPF
They started the 4th up 18. They had just come off a quarter where they had hit some threes to move the lead from 2 to the 18 point margin.
They were 2-10 in the 4th. Seven of those shots were threes. When those shots stopped falling, they decided to run the clock. But by running clock they didn't get good shots. Last second shots, turnovers, uncalled fouls, White bulling her way to the hoop....it all added up to losing the big lead. But , as they have done recently, they stood strong at the end and won.

Three Hawks make All B1g teams. Ally was named 2nd team again (I would have put her on 1st team, but I guess you have to shoot 25-30 times a game to be named to it).
Megan and Tania were both named to the All Freshman team.
Congrats to all!

Bre Cera and Mukwonago won their first two tournament games, Bre had 20 in one of them.
Next game is Thursday against 18-6 Sussex Hamilton.
(should have posted this in the recruiting thread. Oh well).

Last edited:
Three Hawks make All B1g teams. Ally was named 2nd team again (I would have put her on 1st team, but I guess you have to shoot 25-30 times a game to be named to it).
Megan and Tania were both named to the All Freshman team.
Congrats to all!
Agreed. Should have been Ali over Nia Coffey or Tyra Buss.

I really thought Chase deserved honorable mention as much as some of the other honorees. A case could have even been made for Whitney. I will go on record here to say all five starters will be honored next year.

Agreed. Should have been Ali over Nia Coffey or Tyra Buss.
Nia led the B1G in rebounding while Tyra was the leader [by a large margin] in free throws made (apparently she got fouled a lot). She made more FT's (187) than FG's (172).

Last edited:
Congrats to Ally for the Academic All-American of the Year honor. I believe it's THE player, not just being on the first team.

Incidentally, Uthoff won the same honor on the men's side. This is the first time a school swept both honors. Didn't I say Disterhoft played like Uthoff?;)

Reactions: SynergyHawk12
Big win for the Hawlks today! Started off behind 24-8, then roared back to win 97-85.
Megan with 25 and 10 (10-13 shots). Chase with 20 and 10 and 6 blocks (also 10-13). Ally with 22 , 5 rebounds, 5 assist, and 3 blocks, Ally was 8-11 , 4-4 from 3pt, and 2-2 FT. Tania had 10 pints and 10 assists. Whitney had 11 points, 5 assists, and 6 steals. Christina was 2-3 from 3pt.

http://www.hawkeyesports.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/030316aac.html

Great game by the ladies earlier today. Once they settled & started playing some defense the game turned for them. Tania played great even though her shoulder popped out again - a great assist to Megan on the break in the 2nd half too. Maryland at 11 a.m. tomorrow on BTN.

I think this season was really one of adjustment. Players finding new roles, new leaders emerging, etc....I think all of these things will eventually shake themselves out. And....they lose no one who really made any meaningful contributions this year. All of the starters return and I'm confident one of this year's freshman can contribute at least what Peschel did. The bench becomes stronger and deeper with the incoming freshman...things look good for next season.

Unbelievable shooting %'s, we'll need to keep that going vs Maryland.

Just read the article on Disterhoft. When I was in school, a 4.0 in accounting meant a job waiting for you at graduation, pretty much anywhere you wanted.

Last edited:
Joe Lunardi has been very accurate in his predictions. Hope he's right this time. I guess Iowa improved its RPI just by playing Maryland again.

Sorry, I meant Charlie Creme. I believe I saw him boasting some time ago about his ninety-some percent accuracy.

Last edited:
Joe Lunardi has been very accurate in his predictions. Hope he's right this time. I guess Iowa improved its RPI just by playing Maryland again.

Charlie Creme does the women's projections. I don't know his track record.

Personally I think Iowa has a less-than-50% chance. I know conference standings aren't supposed to be considered, but I think it would take a lot for Iowa to get a bid over a couple teams higher than them in the B1G standings.

Last edited:
They use RPI and SOS rankings more than conference standings I believe. Those rankings give Iowa the edge over a Minnesota team with a weak SOS & RPI although they finished much higher in conference play. I think its 50/50... do they take a P5 school over say a Temple?

BYU lost to San Francisco in their tournament. BYU will get a spot, but San Francisco wasn't going to. That hurts.

I would love to see them get in, but I don't think it would be good for this team. They would probably have to play a top 10 team, and loose the first game. If they went to the WNIT they might get to play more games and get more experience to help them get better for next year.

I would love to see them get in, but I don't think it would be good for this team. They would probably have to play a top 10 team, and loose the first game. If they went to the WNIT they might get to play more games and get more experience to help them get better for next year.
Disagree. Getting NCAA tournament experience is essential...even getting beat by 20 to a great team.

In the NIT we get (hopefully) three or four home games...which pretty much (I'd guess) feels like any other home game.

NCAA is the goal. Iowa was ranked #19 at one point. If they play to their potential they could match up to teams in the 15-25 range.
The WNIT games also have the pot season feel to them but lack the pomp and circumstance of the NCAA.Hopefully at least two games at Carver.

Disagree. Getting NCAA tournament experience is essential...even getting beat by 20 to a great team.

In the NIT we get (hopefully) three or four home games...which pretty much (I'd guess) feels like any other home game.
True, but if they get in a loss might be closer to 40 then 20. I might be nuts but I would like to see the women play a UCONN, or South Carolina, or Baylor in their non conference schedule, or a pair of these teams. To toughen them up for the Big Ten season.

Reactions: doughawk
I doubt Iowa gets in, but if they I would bet they would probably be an 8 or 9 seed, which means they would have a shot of getting a win.

Iowa already played three games against top 10 teams this year. It won't be any worse.

Iowa only played 2 teams in the RPI top 10, Maryland & Ohio State. Maryland won by 20 both times & Ohio State won by 17, they were up by 30 at one point. Since Iowa RPI is 59, And talk from the so called experts say if Iowa gets in they will be one of the last teams in. Which would be 16 seed. Their RPI of 59 would but them at a 15 seed. I would say the way they've been playing they would get blown off the court . That's why I would rather see them in the WNIT where they could play against lesser competition and build some confidence going into next year. Plus they might get to play at home. I expect Iowa to be in the top 10 in the years to come, and am going to be disappointed if they don't get their. They have some nice talent and nice player coming in next year. They just need to get more of it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT