ADVERTISEMENT

WBB opens season with first practice

Iowa loses another lead on the road at Minnesota, Banham hits a 3 ball to win it at the buzzer. With 2 fouls to give in the final seconds Iowa doesn't take them. They played well most of the game but once again a poor finish... either the coaches did tell them to foul or the players just didn't do it.

Outplayed the 3rd place team all game. Looking at the replay both Tania and Ali were on Banham. Ali even had a hand in her face. Just too good. We should used that foul we had to give though.

This team is so much better than 5-9.

Forget the NCAA. We need to find another win somewhere to qualify for the NIT!

Last edited:
I was wondering why Iowa didn't foul at the end. An Iowa player was right in front of Banham for a good five seconds until the last second, when she finally got a little separation. Just lunge towards the ball to get the foul or the ball. If the ref doesn't call it, even better. Perhaps the coaches were afraid that the Iowa players were so clumsy that they would leave the Minnesota player open instead of getting the foul.

On another occasion, the ball deflected off a Gopher player out of bounds. The referee initially called Minnesota ball. It was such a crucial moment, and not a single Iowa player argued with the referee for the call. Instead all of them dropped their heads and docilely walked the other way. In the end it was up to another ref to finally correct the call. If I were an Iowa player, even if I knew clearly the ball was off me, I would argue with the referee just to try. But not the players on this team.

I'll give them credit for actually fighting to take back the lead towards the end. When Minnesota got up by 5 points, I thought it would be over.

On the replay I saw, sure looked like a moving screen to get Banham open. Oh well.

Goofer fans must be wondering what might have been if Zahui B stuck around another season.

On another occasion, the ball deflected off a Gopher player out of bounds. The referee initially called Minnesota ball. It was such a crucial moment, and not a single Iowa player argued with the referee for the call. Instead all of them dropped their heads and docilely walked the other way. In the end it was up to another ref to finally correct the call. If I were an Iowa player, even if I knew clearly the ball was off me, I would argue with the referee just to try. But not the players on this team.
I noticed that too. That play was right in front of Chase. She should have put up some argument. Maybe she didn't really see the play after all I guess. I love Chase and she plays hard, but it would be fun to see some fire out of her. Argue a call or throw a fist in the air after a good play etc.

According to the coaches finishing at 9 and 9 is likely enough to get into the NCAA. We shall see about that. They definitely can win the last four games. I had predicted 10 and 8, thought they'd beat Michigan St. at home.

I think they can win 3 of the 4 but beating PSU there won't happen I don't think.

According to the coaches finishing at 9 and 9 is likely enough to get into the NCAA. We shall see about that. They definitely can win the last four games. I had predicted 10 and 8, thought they'd beat Michigan St. at home.
Projections STILL have us only the "first four out".
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/bracketology
The bubble must be very week this year. If we truly are that close, a 9-9 finish and a B1G tournament win will get us in for sure.

Team is just so snake-bittin' right now....and we've already lost to three of the four teams left on the schedule.

On the replay I saw, sure looked like a moving screen to get Banham open. Oh well.

Goofer fans must be wondering what might have been if Zahui B stuck around another season.

The moving screen, but she also put a luggage handle on the ball at the top of the key. Kid made a great shot to win it, but....

That was a great game to watch. I thought the big girl set a possible moving screen on that play, maybe two. I think what saved her was she was not moving to the side too obviously and the officials were inclined to swallow the whistle in that situation.

I am always impressed by way Bluder's teams move the ball, spread the floor, and find the open player. The two post players are very impressive as well.

I thought it over when #33 Wagner blew it on defense and gave up the baseline to AD, #2. I cannot believe she did not force her to the middle or at least pull of for a jump shot.

They are playing better. Now, if they could just eliminate the weak passes that lead to turnovers......
Happy Birthday, Tania!

Disterhoft is playing like Uthoff, and not in a good way. Missing free throws, turning the ball over in bunches, mentally just not tough. It's up to the underclass players to step up at crunch time. Look at it this way, Iowa has a bright future. Still hope they can continue the NCAA streak, and they can do it.

I guess throwing the inbounds away and missing both free throws at crunch time can just be brushed aside.

So if a turnover and 2 missed free throws in 1 game makes her not mentally tough I don't know what would please you. Maybe nothing

So if a turnover and 2 missed free throws in 1 game makes her not mentally tough I don't know what would please you. Maybe nothing
One turnover would have been nice. But seven is not. And missing two free throws at that time could have lost the game for Iowa. Maybe you are happy with her performance tonight, but I'm sure Ally herself wasn't.

Four of the turnovers were travel calls. A couple of them were questionable
Her quick first step fooled the refs a couple of times. The FT misses were after the game had been decided. I think the team lost focus at the line at the end, .

Ally plays heavy minutes too & late in the season its hard to keep fresh legs which can lead to missed ft's. She has a lot on her shoulders being the main leader on this team, the senior class offers little leadership.

There is definitely a lot of pressure on her. Therefore she really needs to be mentally sharp and focused in every game.

Four of the turnovers were travel calls. A couple of them were questionable
Her quick first step fooled the refs a couple of times. The FT misses were after the game had been decided. I think the team lost focus at the line at the end, .
More than a couple travel calls were more than questionable. There were bad travel calls on both teams. A player stops their dribble and their non-pivot foot stumbles / skips a bit. It looks awkward so the ref blows the whistle. Refs were pretty bad in general last night I thought.

More than a couple travel calls were more than questionable. There were bad travel calls on both teams. A player stops their dribble and their non-pivot foot stumbles / skips a bit. It looks awkward so the ref blows the whistle. Refs were pretty bad in general last night I thought.

The non pivot foot skipped and the refs called this on Ally a couple of times. I just think it's foolish to let one game of missing a couple of free throws when the game is over, and some questionable turnover calls define one of the most mentally tough players we've had at Iowa IMHO.

Reactions: gageboy
When was the last time we didn't have a 3-pointer in a game?

I looked back to when we lost at Purdue and we were 6-13 but last night that was the best perimeter defense that I have seen in a long time. Iowa could not get a decent look all night. I don't have an answer to your question though.

I looked back to when we lost at Purdue and we were 6-13 but last night that was the best perimeter defense that I have seen in a long time. Iowa could not get a decent look all night. I don't have an answer to your question though.
I agree but I thought it was a strategy mistake on Purdue's part. They took away our outside shooting, which is normally our strong point but not this year. So we carved them up inside with Coley and Gustafson, which is our strength.

Great win! Indiana has had a habit of winning games like these....and well, Iowa doesn't.

Suspect coaching in the end! Up four under a minute to play taking the ball out under their basket we should have called a timeout and advanced the ball to front court. Instead we aren't able to inbounds the ball, and they eventually get a three-point play.

Two clutch Ali FTs at the end!! Take that Upstream! :p

Two close games & two close wins. Still some boneheaded plays at the end as coach Fitz said during the post game but they found a way to overcome. Lets hope Whitney's knee injury isn't serious and she can play at PSU on Wednesday.

Great win! Indiana has had a habit of winning games like these....and well, Iowa doesn't.

Suspect coaching in the end! Up four under a minute to play taking the ball out under their basket we should have called a timeout and advanced the ball to front court. Instead we aren't able to inbounds the ball, and they eventually get a three-point play.

Agree on not taking the TO and ball at half court. That's on Lisa. Hope Whit is ok. Agree on the take that comment

I think Lisa was thinking they would need the TO later in the game, and they did. If Tania hadn't gotten tackled they would have been shooting 2, up 4.
A few unforced turnovers but they played better down the stretch. Indiana hit a bunch of defended shots in the 3rd to get back in.
Now , if they can just get PSU on the road and Ill. at home.....

I can't read Lisa's mind but I am not convinced she even thought of it. If she takes that one then she may not have needed one later

In the house today... Sam Logic and Bre Cera. Beth Doolittle is also back from France.

Apparently Ally heard me as she herself said "It's about dang time, it was nice to put them in." That's what I wanted to say too.

Also credit her for making amends on the last one of her three passes to the opposing team. Davis slowed the Indiana player down and Ally got back to block the shot. Would have been a very damaging turnover.

Getting absolutely destroyed by a bad PSU team; definitely a rebuilding, not reloading

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT