ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting for the future

'21 Greta Kampshroeder (Iowa, Oregon St., Stanford) committed to Oregon State this morning.

1jbf8y.gif

Was really hoping to get Greta - thought she and Clark would've made a very formidable back court.

1jbf8y.gif

Was really hoping to get Greta - thought she and Clark would've made a very formidable back court.

Agree. For all the discussion about an uptick in recruiting, Clark and, maybe, Affolter, are the only commits above the level/offers of Bluder’s usual recruits.

Agree. For all the discussion about an uptick in recruiting, Clark and, maybe, Affolter, are the only commits above the level/offers of Bluder’s usual recruits.
AJ Ediger is Top 50.
I'll take it! Her "usual recruits" which is usually one or two in the Top 100, plus a Top 1-50 in every class works for me!

AJ Ediger is Top 50.
I'll take it! Her "usual recruits" which is usually one or two in the Top 100, plus a Top 1-50 in every class works for me!

I guess we disagree (respectfully). I am hoping for an upgrade, not the status quo. In 20 years, Lisa B has finished in the top 15 of the final AP Poll only once, and only twice made the Sweet 16 (with 1 Elite 8), though deprived of a chance to do so this year. Now all of these good things have happened in the last 6 years, which is a big reason why Iowa could break its mold and attract Clark. But more is needed for Iowa to be on the brink of at least a few Sweet 16s, a conference title (or 2), and perhaps even more. To do that, Iowa needs more athletes. There is a reason that Lisa B has a losing record against Maryland, OSU, Purdue, and usually fails to make the second weekend in the NCAA Tourney.

And if the upgrade that I'm hoping for doesn't come, I will still be supporting the team, and Coach Bluder. But if the upgrade doesn't come, I will think that Iowa failed to capitalize on Gustafson and Clark. Iowa has a real chance to elevate the program. I hope Iowa can capitalize.

I meant the Top 1-50 annual recruit is a recent enhancement to the 1-2 Top 100 recruits a season we had been getting.

'21 Greta Kampshroeder (Iowa, Oregon St., Stanford) committed to Oregon State this morning.
Greta was never coming to Iowa once Affolter and Clark verballed. Greta, from what I hear, didn't fully enjoy the AIA experience with Clark. She wanted to be the "Clark" if you will. Greta was considering a return to AIA for her last summer (this upcoming summer), but, again as I hear, once Affolter committed to AIA, she was out.

Reactions: HIWILLE
The uptick in recruiting I see is more than just Affolter and Kampschroeder. It's that many of the 2021 players that have visited or been offered are Top 100 players. Obviously Iowa still needs to close out the class with 1 or 2 commitments from those players, but being in those battles has value.

Another point to consider: Iowa's 2021 class already has as many Top 100 recruits (two) as the previous 4 classes combined. This upcoming year's senior and junior class had none. The sophomore class had Warnock. The freshman class has Clark.

The uptick in recruiting I see is more than just Affolter and Kampschroeder. It's that many of the 2021 players that have visited or been offered are Top 100 players. Obviously Iowa still needs to close out the class with 1 or 2 commitments from those players, but being in those battles has value.

Another point to consider: Iowa's 2021 class already has as many Top 100 recruits (two) as the previous 4 classes combined. This upcoming year's senior and junior class had none. The sophomore class had Warnock. The freshman class has Clark.

The recruiting services are somewhat divided on the Iowa '21 commits. Neither is ranked by Blue Star Basketball in the top 100, and neither is ranked by ASGR in top 75 (their rankings only to 75). But both are ranked near 50 by Prospects Nation and HoopGurlz ranks AJ near 50. With Greta off the board, McKenzie is the top of my wish list for '21, perhaps followed by Hall and Hart.

Reactions: cyberhawk
The recruiting services are somewhat divided on the Iowa '21 commits. Neither is ranked by Blue Star Basketball in the top 100, and neither is ranked by ASGR in top 75 (their rankings only to 75). But both are ranked near 50 by Prospects Nation and HoopGurlz ranks AJ near 50. With Greta off the board, McKenzie is the top of my wish list for '21, perhaps followed by Hall and Hart.

Keep in mind unless the player is a consensus top player several of these services rank players/prioritize them if they are part of their own AAU circuit... Blue Star is definitely one of those.

I follow HoopGurlz and Prospect National most closely. Neither do a full list of 100/150 until the class is in its senior year, but I figure if a player makes a shorter list for one, there's a good chance they'll end up on the other's bigger list by senior year. And if not, they probably aren't far from the list.

As AMAYS mentions, Ediger is on both lists, while Affolter is on one. Clark was obviously on both. Warnock was on both, but fairly low in the Top 100 for HoopGurlz. Otherwise, I don't think any of our other players from the last four classes made any list. That's why the Class of 2021 is already a big step forward in my opinion.

I follow HoopGurlz and Prospect National most closely. Neither do a full list of 100/150 until the class is in its senior year, but I figure if a player makes a shorter list for one, there's a good chance they'll end up on the other's bigger list by senior year. And if not, they probably aren't far from the list.

As AMAYS mentions, Ediger is on both lists, while Affolter is on one. Clark was obviously on both. Warnock was on both, but fairly low in the Top 100 for HoopGurlz. Otherwise, I don't think any of our other players from the last four classes made any list. That's why the Class of 2021 is already a big step forward in my opinion.

ESPN HoopGurlz & Prospects Nation are the best two to follow in my opinion. Prep Girls Hoops looks like a good one as well, I posted a link to one of their free articles earlier today.

ESPN HoopGurlz & Prospects Nation are the best two to follow in my opinion. Prep Girls Hoops looks like a good one as well, I posted a link to one of their free articles earlier today.

I haven't done a systematic comparison to form an opinion on which I think is better, but in the case of Kathleen Doyle, ASGR (68) and Blue Star (20) were considerably more accurate than HoopGurlz (97) and Prospects Nation (108).

I believe Kathleen played for a Blue Star sponsored team. She was obviously a top 50 player but more often than not PN & HG are fairly accurate. I wrote a post on KD's ranking last fall I think it was pointing out the services were all over the board with her. Megan was another one they all missed on, likely due to her location.

We should also remember that recruiting rankings are a snapshot in time. Players can and do improve more than you can reasonably expect once they get to college. Monika is a great example. I don't actually think the recruiting services missed by not having her in their Top 100. I think she just made a giant leap in her low post scoring at Iowa that you couldn't reasonably anticipate.

AJ Ediger named Holland Sentinel Girls Basketball Player of the Year
Posted Apr 3, 2020 at 9:00 PM
By Dan D'Addona

AJ Ediger can beat her opponent in so many ways. If you don't double-team her in the post, the Hamilton junior will have an easy basket. If you leave her one-on-one, she will nail a shot over a defender, even from 3-point range. How do you stop that? It is extremely difficult. Ediger posted 30-point games against Division 1 teams and ranked teams — or both. A first-team all-state forward who committed to Iowa, [AJ] is the Holland Sentinel Girls Basketball Player of the Year.

"She is frequently double teamed yet still finds ways to score," Hamilton coach Jacquelyn Schwark said. "She can score in the paint, mid-range, or from beyond the arc. She's a huge offensive threat and is very difficult for teams to guard. She's also all over the glass and leads our team in rebounding. She gets it done on defense too with her length and athleticism."

Ediger averaged 22 points and 11.6 rebounds per game. She scored a career-high 38 points in the district semifinals, leading the Hawkeyes to their fifth consecutive district title, then a spot in the regional semifinals before play was halted because of the coronavirus. She also reached 1,000 career points, something rare for a junior to achieve.

Ediger was the dominating force of the area, one of few players in the state to average more than 20 points. As her level of play continued to grow, so did the Hawkeyes, who battled back from injuries and a slow start to reach the regional final.

"I think our season started off rougher than we thought, and having patience with our progress was hard for me at first. I just wanted to win," Ediger said. “But this was the is was the biggest year of mental growth I have had. I learned that patience is key — and having a team that gives their all every practice day in and day out makes it much easier to have patience. We finally started to play like we were capable of in the postseason. I couldn't be prouder of how far we have come.”

Last edited:
'21 Iowa targets announced their commitments/schools tonight...

Kendall Coley (MN) is headed to Nebraska
Meg Newman (IN) is headed to Arizona St.

Don't know why Nebraska is taking all the little sisters of Iowa players. They just need to wrestle Maggie Czinano away from the Gophers to complete a triple, all from the state of Minnesota no less.

We should also remember that recruiting rankings are a snapshot in time. Players can and do improve more than you can reasonably expect once they get to college. Monika is a great example. I don't actually think the recruiting services missed by not having her in their Top 100. I think she just made a giant leap in her low post scoring at Iowa that you couldn't reasonably anticipate.

Thanks MG!

Reactions: crstuff
Iowa has one scholarship remaining to give if they so choose. I would guess they would like to still have a guard in the class.

2021 prospects

P Sophia Hart
F Breanne Salenbien
F Alyssa VanTimmeren
F Grace Hall
G Katie Burton
G Matyson Wilke
G Damiya Hageman
G Adalia McKenzie
G Ariana Wiggins
G Laila Phelia ?

2021 committed
P Addison O’Grady
F Allison (AJ) Ediger
W Sydney Affolter

Disclaimer: The list for 2021 prospects is not necessarily 100 percent correct/accurate or up to date.

Last edited:
I am thrilled. Our guard group looks deep and talented for well into the future. Our interior was lacking enough rebounding and quality depth. . Talent and depth coming,Wow, Goodman, Editjer, Ogrady, Warnock and Monica all on campus for the 21 season with plenty of guard talent.

Last edited:
Looks like Blue Star has her as # 31 nationally, and ASGR has her at #45. So top 50 by 3 of the 4 services. Just need to finish the ‘21 class with one of the very good guard options listed by cyberhawk.

Does this mean Iowa will back off recruiting Sophie Hart from MN? Hart, I believe, is a post as well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT