ADVERTISEMENT

WBB recruiting

What level do Hannah and Megan play in? Know the others are high level. There have been some expectations that were too high in recent years for recruits coming from small schools.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by hawkfan55:
What level do Hannah and Megan play in? Know the others are high level. There have been some expectations that were too high in recent years for recruits coming from small schools.
I suppose there have been small school recruits that haven't lived up to the expectations put on them, on the other hand, and this goes back to earlier than "recent years" there have a number who have done very well. Meder, to start with.

Amanda Ollinger left her Jefferson HS teammates in the MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! Selfish, cowardly act.

Originally posted by Willin:
Amanda Ollinger left her Jefferson HS teammates in the MIDDLE OF THE SEASON! Selfish, cowardly act.
Upstream wrote: Parents' decision.

Upstream, the parents' decision was based on years of Amanda's constant complaining (and their own complaining) about anything and everything with her coaches, teammates, you name it. I predict more of the same where ever she goes, including Iowa in a couple years.

To leave your teammates high and dry in the middle of a season is just pathetic.

Upstream wrote: Parents' decision.

Upstream, the parents' decision was based on years of Amanda's constant complaining (and their own complaining) about anything and everything with her coaches, teammates, you name it. I predict more of the same where ever she goes, including Iowa in a couple years.

To leave your teammates high and dry in the middle of a season is just pathetic.
There's two truckloads of wrong in that response. And I won't even bother with the 'selfish, cowardly act' BS
This post was edited on 1/16 8:06 AM by LarryMullenJr.

Originally posted by Edenprairiehawk:
I think attacking a 17 year old girl annonomously On the Internet is a cowardly act.
Yes and obviously the guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Yes what a cowardly thing to do to want to live in the same house as her PARENTS!! ARE YOU NUTS !!!???

Originally posted by IamHawkeye:
I suppose there have been small school recruits that haven't lived up to the expectations put on them, on the other hand, and this goes back to earlier than "recent years" there have a number who have done very well. Meder, to start with.
From Port Wing to Madison: Jolene Anderson shines for Wisconsin

[The] list [...] of all-time leaders in the UW-Madison women's basketball program [include]: Scoring: Anderson. Rebounding: Anderson. Assists: Anderson. Steals: Anderson... Anderson... [was] the Badgers' leading scorer since her freshman year. [...] she won her fourth-straight gold medal at the World Basketball Championships and was named a 2007 Kodak/WBCA District IV All-American. Anderson said she transitioned easily from a graduating class of 32 [at South Shore HS] ...

Where are they now: Jolene Anderson

Jolene Anderson was the most decorated athlete in Wisconsin womens basketball history. Her list of accomplishments is endless but she left Madison as the all-time scoring leader in either mens or womens basketball and was the Big Ten Player of the Year as a senior. Anderson was drafted No. 23 overall by the Connecticut Sun in 2008...

Jolene Anderson holds the all-time career scoring record at South Shore HS and the state of Wisconsin. Megan Gustafson is on pace to shatter both of those records. That is because Megan is also from tiny Port Wing and plays for South Shore HS. The point is not that Megan will be an all-american candidate like Jolene, but that Jolene is proof that players from small schools can be.

This post was edited on 1/16 2:15 PM by cyberhawk

Originally posted by cyberhawk:

Originally posted by BGHAWK:

Oak or Cyber, I may have missed it but what other offers did Stewart have. And as I've said before, thank you for your efforts on the women's BB recruiting.
BGHAWK, the article about Hannah in ESPN (link provided by OakHawk), suggests that she is a rising star due to underexposure in the AAU circuit.

Her first AAU event was in Virginia at Boo Williams, which is one of the most prestigious and challenging tournaments in the nation. It didn't take long for all those college coaches in attendance to take notice of the mystery girl from North Dakota.

"She blew up out there," said Greg Dietel, who coached North Tartan to a 5-0 record at Boo Williams. "We had multiple schools from all the major conferences approach us about her."

Before Boo Williams, Stewart had offers from just three schools: North Dakota, Gonzaga and North Dakota State. Shortly after Boo Williams, she had 20 offers.
HANNAH STEWART'S LONG ROAD FROM UNKNOWN TO ALL THE RAGE TO IOWA
i

This post was edited on 1/16 2:30 PM by cyberhawk

Both of these two play at smaller schools in HS but have performed at a very high level for their respective summer AAU teams. What I like about them is their high character and that Megan is coached by her father and Hannah by her mother so they have some very good 'pedigree'. I have confidence that they each will have successful careers at Iowa.

As far as expectations are concerned, I believe the ordinary fan [of college sports] such as myself, should only expect the student-athlete to diligently apply themselves to their degree and conduct themselves with honor and integrity, but for the athletics, I leave the expectation to the players and coaches and supplant hope and faith for expectation. That works great for me and really minimizes the 'letdowns'.

Last edited:
Believe what you want to believe about the Ollinger family move to Linn-Mar, but their reasons shared with the media about their move were untrue. In addition, the mother lied to the media, stating that their family had not contacted Linn-Mar prior to the move. Jefferson administration had been contacted by Linn-Mar administration prior to that article coming out to inform Jeff that the Ollinger family had indeed inquired about transfer information. Again, believe what you want to believe, but it's pretty sad when parents will allow their teen to bag on a team mid-season...and for a conference rival, no less.

Give it a rest Willin! Good grief. Nobody likes a "know-it-all". Wish Amanda well and move on. Your posts are just awful

Originally posted by IAWBB:
Give it a rest Willin! Good grief. Nobody likes a "know-it-all". Wish Amanda well and move on. Your posts are just awful
No kidding, he should go call someone who cares.

Saw there was a Freshman from Davenport that had 46pts last night. She has been dominating since Christmas break averaging like 29pts a game as a Freshman. Might be one to watch in the future years.

You're right, IAWBB. Why confuse a discussion of an issue with the facts. What was I thinking!!

And, yes, I should just wish Ollinger well. What's the big deal. When life doesn't go exactly as we want it, we all should simply be able to make up a story to tell people and then do whatever we want, regardless of the commitments we've made. I think I'll teach this approach to life to my children; I'm sure that will serve them well in their relationships.

Seems like Ollinger family could easily have moved over last summer, giving schools, team mates, coaches reasonable time to adjust. Midseason with no warning or communication to coaches is not kosher. If you are going to do it, do it the best way possible.

Originally posted by oakhawk:
A nice article about McD AA invite.
Couldn't get into the site without joining. Is this the McD invite that comes from coaches' nominations or is it one to actually play in the game?

Megan had 49 points and 24 rebounds. She was 13-16 from the FT line.
Megan has 394 points after her first ten games this season which gives her 2496 total points for her career. She is now just 387 points shy of Jolene Anderson's career South Shore HS and Wisconsin state record of 2881 points. At her current average of 39.4 PPG, she is on pace to break the record on Feb 13th against Mercer and with twelve games remaining on the regular season schedule, she needs to average only about 33 PPG.

Also, Megan is within 562 points of the South Shore HS and Wisconsin state single season scoring record of 956 points, also held by Jolene Anderson. If South Shore can make a state title run, Megan has a good chance of breaking that record as well.

The single game scoring record is 58 points which, of course, is held by none other than Jolene Anderson. Megan's last game (49 points) was her personal best.

Wisconsin Basketball Coaches Association

Megan's Statistics

This post was edited on 1/20 4:45 PM by cyberhawk

Megan had 27 and 16, then followed up with 42 and 22 in her last two games. That puts her over 2.500 career points (2565).

Makenzie Meyer had what I think is a career high 36 points (13-21 FG) along with 4-7 from 3pt, 6 reb, 6 assists, and 4 steals in a win over DM Hoover.
Makenzie is averaging 20.7 ppg, 7.2 reb, and is shooting 82% from the FT line.

Tagyn Larson scored 12 points and added 6 rebounds in a 21 point loss to cross-town rival Sioux Falls Lincoln Tuesday night. The newspaper account stated that Larson was a "often the victim of double teams".

Not sure what is going on with Roosevelt. They have had a string of bad losses, a couple while Larson was sidelined with an ankle injury starting the season. She is supposedly back to full strength but she did not start against Lincoln as Roosevelt's coach went with 3 sophomores instead - very unusual because IIRC she has started every game which she has been available the past two years.

Originally posted by nu2u:

Tagyn Larson scored 12 points and added 6 rebounds in a 21 point loss to cross-town rival Sioux Falls Lincoln Tuesday night. The newspaper account stated that Larson was a "often the victim of double teams".

This game was aired live via webcast and I saw most of it. However the video was of very poor quality and the audio was only what could be heard coming from the PA which was even worse than the video. It was so bad that it was difficult to tell which player was Tagyn. I can say this much, her team played very 'sloppy' and did not seem to be in continuity. Also, the game was at Lincoln and there were a lot more fouls called against Roosevelt, especially 'and ones'. Finally, I can concur that Lincoln was defending Tagyn very closely with two and sometimes three players within a couple steps of her whenever she was in the post.

Not sure what is going on with Roosevelt. They have had a string of bad losses, a couple while Larson was sidelined with an ankle injury starting the season. She is supposedly back to full strength but she did not start against Lincoln as Roosevelt's coach went with 3 sophomores instead - very unusual because IIRC she has started every game which she has been available the past two years.

Also BTW FYI and FWIW, I don't know what difference if any this makes, but Roosevelt does have a new head coach this year, Holly (Sivesand) Borchers, a former SF all-stater and SD Miss Basketball. I seem to recall that Michigan's women head coach a few years ago was named Borcher. I think he went to Green Bay.

This post was edited on 1/21 7:32 PM by cyberhawk

Thanks for posting the Stewart video.

Midco Communications made a big commitment to covering area high school and college sports a 3-4 years ago. They focus their coverage on North and South Dakota high school and college sports, including the Missouri Valley Football Conference, the Summit Basketball League. Midco also covers the 16 team Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference football and basketball which includes schools from Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska as well as the Dakotas. If you live in the Northern Plains and follow any of those teams, their programming has been much welcomed and a big boost to the schools as well.

In addition to broadcasting games at all levels, they host various league and coaches shows (USD, SDSU, NDSU, UND, etc), as well as special interest stories similar to the segment on Hannah Stewart.

From the Davis article (regarding her defense):

"I'm always in their shorts," she said, laughing. "I'm always aggravating them. I can feel myself getting under people's skin, because defensively I'm lower than what the offensive player is, and that's pretty much the advantage of being shorter than everyone else because I'm already down there. So if you try a crossover or go between the legs, I'm already there."

Good article from the Detroit Free Press on what Tania is all about.
Her dad is Charlie Bell's high school teammate? It feels like yesterday that Charlie Bell's Michigan State team won the national championship. Does that mean Iowa already needs to start watching for Dean Oliver's daughter, if he has any?
smile.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/23 2:49 PM by UpstreamHawkeye

With 2015 and 2016 recruiting well in hand the focus is on the 2017 and even 2018 claases.
One very intriguing player is 2018 guard Arieal Scott, a 5-6 guard from Danville Schlarman.
She is a great 3pt shooter that can run the floor and play the point.

Arieal

Someone mentioned the girl from Davenport North and her 46 point game.
She is a2017 SG , 6-1 Jinaya Houston. A scorer for sure, with good ball skills.

Jinaya

Someone mentioned the girl from Davenport North and her 46 point game.
She is a2017 SG , 6-1 Jinaya Houston. A scorer for sure, with good ball skills.
The girl mentioned was from West, Chrislyn Carr with 46. Jinaya did have a game in the 30s recently though. Carr is just a freshman and is very good. That's all I'm going to say about that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT