ADVERTISEMENT

WBB summer 2015

Saw her profile in the last day or two. Roster went from 14 to 12. Oak, any info?

Last edited:
I'm not sure why she was not on the roster. She was a few days ago, then suddenly she wasn't. An interview earlier talked about how her folks were going along on the trip. Christina had played on their last team and won Silver. Averaged 10 points and 5 rebounds. she won a Bronze in Amsterdam as the youngest member of the team brfore that. she had 15 games on experience as a national team member. Confusing. I hope it wasn't due to injury. Well, no reason to cheer for Canada. Their loss, Iowa's gain.

Update. It was due to an injury of some kind. hopefully just a sprained ankle or something minor.
See the bottom of this linked page.

http://www.basketball.ca/en/team-program/womens-u18u19
Thanks. They kind of doled out the info piece meal. First she was on the team, then she wasn't, and the other kid was injured, and finally both missing players listed as injured.

Hope it's minor. She brings a lot of energy to the team.

"I think it's possible MG will be seen as the best combination of size, strength, quickness and basketballskills to play center [compared to other Iowa centers] in the Bluder era." Row55

"Think some of you are putting too much on Megan at this point. At 6'3" she's shorter than our last 3 centers and it might be a bit early to describe her as quick." hawkfan55

Let me try to rephrase (in the context of both quotes). Megan may or may not be as quick as Chase (for example, since they are the same height), but what she may lack in relative quickness, she makes up for in relative strength.

The real debate is how will she match up to opposing centers in her career, and I believe it IS possible she could have as much success as any center Lisa has had at Iowa. I say let's just hope for the best.

So, to be clear, I do not disagree with your original quote. In fact, I support your contention that Megan will eventually compare favorably to other Iowa centers who have played for Lisa. :)

OK, understood :)

Thanks. They kind of doled out the info piece meal. First she was on the team, then she wasn't, and the other kid was injured, and finally both missing players listed as injured.

Hope it's minor. She brings a lot of energy to the team.
Spoke to a couple of the coaches about her. They said it was bad enough that she couldn't play for the national team, but with the time off and some short rehab, Christina is expected to play when Iowa makes its foreign trip.

Spoke to a couple of the coaches about her. They said it was bad enough that she couldn't play for the national team, but with the time off and some short rehab, Christina is expected to play when Iowa makes its foreign trip.
The coaches didn't say what the injury was?

Regardless, this must be a huge disappointment for her and an equally great missed opportunity for her to play against some elite international competition. I met her parents at the Maryland game in February and had the opportunity to speak with her. I thought that she was a very cordial young lady and I feel bad for her. I must also say that I am very disappointed myself because I was looking forward to seeing how well she would perform.

They did. But at their request (and my own discretion) I don't always relay 100% of what is told to me. At this time it's not public knowledge, but also nothing that anyone should be overly concerned with.

She is a bit of a goofball, with a great sense of humor and a ton of energy....which I suspect she will now sink into Iowa's overseas trip.

The good thing about Christina's injury is that it isn't an ACL or MCL. Rehab time is estimated at 4-6 weeks. One of those come down wrong things. She should be good to go for Italy, as far as travel goes. The team is getting really excited for the trip.
As far as good to go, at GTL tonight Bethany's team brought in a ringer for the playoffs. Wearing #13 was a player whose jersey said Saunders but who was the spittin' image of Ally Disterhoft. She was wearing a soft wrap for precautionary reasons.Came out firing , hitting two 3ptrs and a another hoop right off the bat. She looked season ready. Way ahead of schedule. She has been shooting for awhile, but has been cleared to play. So she will probably play in Italy. They were up by 15 over Chase/Carly at half when I left.
Lex hit some big threes in the final minutes and Nicole scored big on the low block to come back to win against Kali/Hannah.
In the the exhibition, Tania/Megan won the rematch with Whit/Claire. Megan dominated inside, she must have had around 20 rebounds.Whit's team went too much one-on-one and didn't play like they had all season.

I was excited to see that Gustafsen was usually the first up the court both offensive and defensively. It is really hard to judge from summer league games, but she was playing like an Iowa starter. I thought that Davis made her team better. Till/Jennings tried, but they didn't have the same impact as their future teammates. Jennings was effective as an off-guard. My three visits to PrimeTimeLeague says that the Iowa coaches have a lot to work with this fall. It is really hard to predict how it settles out. Today? I would say Jennings, Disterhoft, Gustafsen, and a player to be named later. Peschel played within herself. Stewart and Mohn played well. Hard to tell who gets starting minutes by conference time.

Reactions: joemc2
Ally's opening night...
29 points on 9-13 from the field, 5-6 from the FT line, 6-6 from 3 pt. And 9 rebounds.She is ready.

Hailey had 16 on 8-9 shooting.
Chase had 14 and 9, Carly had 29 and 9.
Lex had 22 and 7 assists.
Nicole had 18 and 13.
Kali had 20, Hannah had 17 points and 18 rebounds.
Tania only shot 8 times, scored 9 and had 9 assists.
Megan had 26 and 16 rebounds. I thought she had more boards.
Whit had 33 points.
Claire had 13.

Last edited:
Reactions: LBlindHawk
Kali Peschel back and ready to lead Hawkeyes

The 6-foot-1 Peschel played the best basketball of her career last season down the stretch, which included a 12-point performance in Iowa's Sweet 16 loss to Baylor. One of only three [returning] players to start a game last season, Peschel is expected to see a more extensive role in the Iowa offense this season after ranking sixth on the team with 5.1 points per game.

Ally Disterhoft sparkles in Game Time League return

Disterhoft made all six of her 3-point attempts, was 9-of-13 from the field and 5-of-6 from the free-throw line. She also had two assists to go with her nine rebounds.

Last edited:
Hawkeye freshman Stewart finding her way
Diving in head first with classes, basketball has staved off any homesickness

“The family atmosphere and knowing I have friends makes a big difference,” she said. “I think I’m the farthest from home on the team. It’s a 12-hour drive.”

The 6-foot-2 [Stewart] also considered Oregon State, Gonzaga and Northwestern. [She] said [...] the team and coaches at Iowa really helped solidify her decision.

“The chemistry of the team and the girls, I noticed it right away,” she said. “They made me feel like I was part of the team even before I was.”

GTL Finals are set.
It will be Megan/Tania versus Lex/Nicole
In the first game Alexa had 35 points and 11 rebounds. Nicole added 9 and 14.
Whit had 36 (7-12 from 3pt) and Claire had 24 and 11 rebounds.
The difference was the other players. Alexa's team had a 20 point scorer and an 18. Whit's team didn't get any support.
In the second game, Tania had 15 points and 8 assists, Megan had 22 points and 11 rebounds (going against Bethany Doolittle).
They off-set a 37 point performance by Ally Disterhoft.
Alexa is really coming on strong and playing smart basketball. Iam more impressed with Megan each time I see her Tania had 12 rebounds.

Last edited:
The coaches are on a recruiting blitz before taking off for Italy in August. Today at Nike Natioonals in Augusta , Georgia.

The coaches are on a recruiting blitz before taking off for Italy in August. Today at Nike Natioonals in Augusta , Georgia.
Refresh us on who is eligible to go on the trip. Freshmen since they're enrolled in summer school, or not?

TIMES REVISED: I either got it wrong adjusting for time zones, or they are running late. So the times below are somewhat more accurate for the live stream. Note the game list on the right side of the live-stream window.

http://nikegirlseybl.com/live-stream

Alexis Sevillian's Michigan Crossover plays at 1:00pm today (Tuesday)

Midwest Elite with Bre Cera plays again at 3:45 today (Tuesday).

The All Iowa Attack plays at 5:00 today (Tuesday) and includes
Rylie Jensen
Becca Hittner
Jinaya Houston
Amanda Ollinger
Makenzie Meyer – Mason City
Ciara Duffy – St Thomas More – Rapid City, SD
Ashton Donels – Southeast Polk
Madison Treece – Rock Bridge – Columbia, MO (10th)
Courtney Joens – Iowa City High [injured]

Last edited:
Yes, North Augusta. I saw Augusta and thought Georgia.
Thanks for the links!
And the FR can go on the Italy trip.

Arieal Scott (5-9 2018 G) and the Indy Gym Rats ran their record to 3-0 . She is from Danville Illinois. Has a scholarship offer from Iowa.

Alexis Sevillian played a very good game in their win. She had 14 points, then fed the post in the blowout.
All Iowa Attack won in overtime against a Tennessee team. Amanda Ollinger had 10.
Missed the Midwest Elite game. I went back and watched the ME game. They won a low scoring game. Bre had maybe 7 points (5-6 FT). Didn't shoot much at all. Played her usual great defense.

Last edited:
Tania and Megan, with their team, are GTL champs! They won 112-67. Megan had a great game, and Tania ran the show.'
Whit Jennings was MVP. She led in scoring at over 36 ppg. She shot 56 % on 89 threes. Megan led rebounding at 14 per game. She shot 63 % from the field and averaged 21 ppg. Carly averaged 27 points and 13 rebounds.

not going to keep those 2 (Tania and Megan) out of the starting lineup for too long.

not going to keep those 2 (Tania and Megan) out of the starting lineup for too long.
Megan had 17 points and 23 rebounds. Tania had 15. Those numbers are despite sitting out much of the 4th quarter.
Lex had 26 and Nicole 10 rebounds in a losing effort.

Ally and Clementine with Beth, Hailey, Christina, and Carly.

5vfCJEwBzd

I dont' know a lot about basketball, or women's basketball for that matter, but I follow both teams religiously. Having said that, Davis certainly looks the part! She reminds me of some of the women from Stringer's years-quick, tough, can drive and hit the open shots!

Tania has excellent court vision and a high basketball IQ. She really knows the game.

Turns out that they were in Augusta Georgia also, at the Blue Star Nationals.

Christina Buttenham update.

It appears her injury has deteriorated and is now more serious than originally thought. The program is expected to release more detail in the next 24-48 hours. Although I doubt they will specify what the injury is. She is still in a walking boot and will not be cleared to play for roughly another two months. Here is wishing a great young lady a healthy rehab.

That is too bad for Christina. She missed out on Russia with the Canadian team, now won't get to play in Italy. She was walking in her boot at the County Fair, so i imagine she can still see the sights in Italy. But probably no dance routines with Chase until Fall.

Despite losses, future may be bright
Charlie Green | The Daily Iowan | 8/05/15

[... Iowa women’s basketball] does bring back several players poised to take over as leaders for a program with eight-consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances. [And they bring] in a class that might alleviate the pain of graduating four seniors in 2015.

Iowa women hope latest Europe trip brings familiar benefits
Ryan Murken | Iowa City Press-Citizen | 8/03/15

Last week, Iowa again began preparation for its latest intercontinental jaunt, and again the Hawkeyes are doing so with an impressive freshman class.

Last edited:
Lisa talked about the incoming freshmen class in a recent interview with the Daily Iowan. I think it is especially interesting that she described Hannah as a wing.

"I don’t think it’s our highest-rated class we’ve had at Iowa … I think the group that just graduated was the 11th-ranked. But I don’t base a lot of stock on national rankings. That’s somebody else’s opinion of those players. It’s a nice general idea, but it’s not in stone by any means. I wouldn’t say it’s our top recruiting class, but it’s one of our best that we’ve had at Iowa."

"I think we’ve filled all of our needs with this recruiting class. For example, we lost a point guard, we lost a center, we lost a wing player to graduation, and we filled all those needs with really quality players. I think Tania Davis is an excellent point guard. She’s a scoring point guard, she’s really kind of electric on the floor. I think Megan [Gustafson] is that blue-collar post player, and they’re so hard to find, and that’s what makes her such a good catch for us. I think Hannah [Stewart] and Tagyn [Larson] both offer us great size at the wing."

Bluder talks Pan-Am, life after Logic
by DI staff | 7/29/15

Last fall after signing, Lisa had this to say about Hannah...

"Hannah Stewart is a strong power forward that can stretch defenses or post up. She can rebound with the best of them and still runs the floor hard. She is a superb athlete that will fit well into our system."

Hawkeyes Sign Top-20 Recruiting Class

I think Hannah could be the 'sleeper' of this class. She had a good showing in the GTL consistently scoring in the teens and averaging double digits in rebounds. She is a team oriented player and should flourish in Iowa's system.

Last edited:
Power forward to wing to stretch 4. Hannah is versatile enough to be any of those. She described herself as a "post-up guard".

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT