ADVERTISEMENT

WBB summer 2015

What a great trip so far. Gustafson is going to be a big key this year IMO.

The players are having a blast! Megan and Hannah, along with Chase and Carly , should give the Hawks a rebounding boost. Throw in Tania and Christina , when they get healthy, and Iowa will have all kinds of depth and options.

After two games.....
Averages Points Rebounds
Whitney 15.0 5.5
Alexa 13.0 2.5
Ally 10.0 7.5
Chase 9.5 6.0
Megan 9.5 6.5
Hannah 9.5 5.0
Carly 8.5 7.5
Claire 5.5 5.0
Kali 4.0 5.0
Nicole 2.0 2.o
Hailey 1.5 5.5
Tagyn 0.0 1.0
Not trying to be a PITA but would you guys mind either using their full names or their last names? I don't follow religiously enough to know the ladies and it is frustrating to read all the great posts and not really know who is who.

I try to read everything but have found my self tuning out because I don't know (Or want to take the time to cross reference the roster) who exactly you guys are talking about when you use their first names only.

Sure, it is easy for many of you that are actually involved somehow with the program but the rest of us casual fans, not so much.

Thanks

Reactions: conn53victor
Looks like Alexa is stepping up her game offensively. Hope she keeps it up, because she will be a needed backup 1 or 2 this year.

Looks like Alexa is stepping up her game offensively. Hope she keeps it up, because she will be a needed backup 1 or 2 this year.

Based on remarks from Bluder before trip and her play in first two games, I would say she is playing to be the starter, probably at the SG position. Will see how it all plays out. Jennings, Davis, Peschl and Kastanek should provide good production and depth at guard spots.

Lex has started both games. Of course Tania is out, but Alexa has been healthy and playing well. It all depends on her foot and ankle.
Ready to tip game #3!

Till & Smith check in & Mohns hits a 3! 1st | 4:31 - TKH 13, Hawks 12
11 of 12 available Hawks have logged minutes

Till sinks a pair of free throws to put Iowa ahead! 1st | 3:02 - Hawks16, TKH 15

Iowa is on a 7-0 run!! 1st | 0:33 - Hawks 21, TKH 15
After the 1st - Hawks 23, TKH 20

Last edited:
At the Half - Hawks 41, TKH 37
Point totals at the half... Disterhoft 9 Gustafson 8 Jennings 7
Rebound totals at the half... Mohns 4 Peschel 3

Scoring in double figures heading into the final 10 min... Jennings 12 Disterhoft 11

Last edited:
Mohns lays it in to break Iowa's scoring drought in the 3rd! 3rd | 5:49 - Hawks 45, TKH 42

Turnovers hurting Iowa in the 3rd, but Hawks hang on to their lead. 3rd | 4:15 - #Hawkeyes 49, TKH 44

Jennings beats the shot clock with a 3! 3rd | 2:52 - Hawks 54, TKH 49

Heading to the 4th quarter... Hawks 54, TKH 51

Last edited:
TKH ties the game with a 3-pointer, but Coley breaks it with a pair of free throws. 4th | 8:02 - Hawks 56, TKH 54

ll 4 of Iowa's points in the 4th are free throws. Tight game! 4th | 5:56 - Hawks 58, TKH 57
Jennings breaks a tie with a layup & 1! 4th | 3:41 - Hawks 62, TKH 59

Jennings layup breaks a tie! 4th | 2:17 - Hawks 64, TKH 62

Jennings is on fire!! She nets a 3 to get her team back on top! 4th | 0:23 - Hawks 69, TKH 68

Timeout Hawks! Possession TKH. 4th | 0:11 - Hawks 69, TKH 68
A foul sends TKH to the line. Two free throws are made & we're down to our last possession!
Iowa can't get the shot to fall. FINAL - TKH 70, Hawks 69

Last edited:
Too bad they couldn't pull it out. I think whit had 28 points. It was a good game against a quality opponent. I think they felt the fatigue of back to back games and the travel over to this one.

Point totals... Jennings 23 Disterhoft 12 Gustafson 8 (I thought Whit had more)

Rebound totals... Mohns 8 Peschel 6

Last edited:
Just from following the posts they made on Twitter it appears they couldn't get defensive stops down stretch and were burned from the perimeter.

I was surprised Gustafson hasn't gotten more rebounds and equally surprise that Disterhof, whom I thought was a dead eye shooter and a guard, has gotten a lot of rebounds.

Sounds like a great game. Might have been a different outcome if Tania Davis was available to provide ball handling and assert more defensive pressure.

Any information on the minutes played for the players? I wonder how much Larson played due to her recent injury and/or Iowa's depth at forwards. She didn't have much to show for from her stats.

Hawkeyes Fall Short in Final #ItalianTour Contest

Sophomore forward Carly Mohns led the Hawkeyes with eight boards in the contest. For Bluder, Mohns has been a bright spot in each game of the #ItalianTour.

"Carly Mohns has impressed me the most from last year to this year," Bluder said. "She's shooting the ball well with confidence, and she's rebounding both offensively and defensively. She's so strong going to the boards, so that's a bright spot for me."

Last edited:
From Lisa's description of Jenning's play, it seems that the coaches want her to have more of a pass-first mentality. She might be a shooting guard in a point guard's body. Both Kastanek and Davis seem to be more natural passers.

I hope they aren't trying to make her into Sam Logic. She is a different player. Her being a scoring threat is her best asset. When Tania gets back to health she will be more like Sam. A pass first PG that can score.
Lisa seemed to think Whitney tried to do it all herself, but the way everyone else was playing that might be the only reason the game was close.

5 takeaways from Iowa's trip to Italy
rmurken@press-citizen.com

Excerpt
1) ... the real value of the trip came in the 10 additional practices Iowa received.
2) Whitney Jennings ... appears primed for a breakthrough this season.
3) With a deeper, less-experienced and more-balanced roster, expect there to be more players averaging double-digit minutes and less playing 30-plus minutes, especially early in the season.
4) Iowa likely won't have four players average between 13.4 and 14.8 points per game as it did last season, but the Hawkeyes could have more players score in double figures from game to game.
5) The early game action was most beneficial to Iowa's freshmen, and the highly-touted group showed it was ready to help.

IMO
I mostly agree with Ryan but add the following...

1) The value of building team chemistry/unity, not only on-court but off-court as well, is immeasurable.
“The time we spend together, developing the chemistry and bond that all good teams have, is every bit as important as the games we will play, probably more so,’’ Bluder expects benefits beyond basketball during Hawkeyes' trip qctimes

2) Lisa expressed high praise for Carly Mohns and she showed why, performing well shooting the '3' and rebounding.
For Bluder, Mohns has been a bright spot in each game of the #ItalianTour. "Carly Mohns has impressed me the most from last year to this year," Bluder said. "She's shooting the ball well with confidence, and she's rebounding both offensively and defensively. She's so strong going to the boards, so that's a bright spot for me."
Hawkeyes Fall Short in Final #ItalianTour Contest HawkeyeSports

3) This was to be expected before the Italy trip so this is not really a takeaway from it. It also logically leads directly to takeaway #4...

4) The two returning starters should average double figures scoring plus at least one and possibly two others. With the minutes divided more evenly, I doubt that there will be five players average double figures but more players will average between 5 and 10 points

5) This relates to takeaway #1. Because this team lost three starters that combined for 320 career starts, the freshmen (and sophomores) will need to contribute more, i.e. minutes, scoring, rebounding and just over-all production in general. Also, since they are young and inexperienced, it stands to reason that any additional head start they get will benefit them the most.

I encourage anyone and everyone to comment but with the summer events (GTL and Italy) over and the season about two months away, I expect that this thread will become less active and possibly inactive. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone for participating and for supporting the Iowa WBB. I am anxiously looking forward to the start of the 15-16 season and hoping for some news of some early verbals for 2017 and beyond.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT