ADVERTISEMENT

WBB Transfer Portal

Frankly I'm still shocked by this news. My first thought was that Frese will probably be able to land some good transfers, but she's losing All-Americans. Even good portal replacements probably won't be able to replace their impact.

And then there's the elephant in the room of why all these quality players are leaving a projected Top 10 team. Maybe good players will hesitate to join Maryland with all the good players who have left recently?

I don’t pay much attention to schools other than Iowa but it seems like Maryland has had star players transfer in recent years and they were replaced by other transfers. Will see what happens next year
Yeah I was gonna say, Maryland is their own precedent lmao. After the 2020 season, starters Taylor Mikesell and Shakira Austin transferred out and were replaced with Bibby, Benzan, and Collins. Somehow Brenda always manages to pull a winning team together. She always has landed Lavender Briggs as a transfer from Florida for next year.

I haven’t seen academics mentioned. While graduate transfers have a great opportunity to start work on their masters degree at a university with a strong program, jumping colleges for only athletics may be short-sighted for undergrads who won’t continue in athletics after graduation. Yes, I think a college degree can mean something.
The only Maryland transfer out for academics is Mimi Collins, grad transfer. Their other transfers appear at least to have nothing to do with academics.

A couple years back Shakira Austin said she left due to coaching and tweeted something similar about Taylor Mikesell. Austin a 6'5 F wanted to play away from the hoop more like EDD and went to Ole' Miss to expand her game.

It appears that the Gopher coaching staff is following Tomi Taiwo, among others. Hoping she chooses a non-Big Ten team.
Looks like she has a good amount of coaches following her. How many still follow her from the initial recruiting process? I have no idea, probably not many.

I see Minnesota, Colorado St, Wichita St,, Northern Kentucky, TCU, Morgan St, College of Charleston and Virginia Tech.

These additions might put the Hoosiers at the front of the line.

The Indiana coach doesn’t appear too concerned about recruiting over current players or disrupting team chemistry. She possibly has put together a final four level team.

Reactions: Chicagoherky71
These additions might put the Hoosiers at the front of the line.
We'll see. I don't know much about Geary, but she's 6'4' and has never averaged more than 5 rebounds in a season, despite playing starter level minutes each of the last 3 years. She also doesn't shoot particularly well from the floor, and she averaged 3 turnovers per game her last 2 seasons.

Parrish was a highly ranked recruit, but hasn't really produced much at Oregon (a team that was worse than Indiana the last two years). Maybe she will be a better fit at Indiana, but the jury's still out.

Scalia is a good addition. She will help their shooting a lot. That said, she also doesn't play much defense.

Frankly I don't think those three match what Indiana is losing. Gulbe was extremely versatile and underrated. Cardano-Hillary played great defense and was pretty good offensively too. And Patberg had a ton of experience at the sport's most important position.

I do think these additions will help Indiana stay competitive. But I think we need to see them add a high quality PG at minimum before we start talking about them as a conference favorite. Right now they don't have an experienced natural PG on roster.

I'd rather we have a losing record than be a school that does that.
I think there's a balance. In general I'd like us to be a developmental program that keeps most of the players it recruits. But if there is a transfer each year (or every other year) that could supplement the roster and give us a better chance of winning the conference or making a deep post-season run, I hope the coaches will add that player.

Indiana is in a unique position. It has largely failed to develop depth behind its starters, and was losing 3 starters. With Berger and Holmes only having 1 season left, it made sense for them to go big in the portal because the reality is if they didn't, the players that stepped into the starting lineup likely wouldn't have been good enough to compete at the top of the conference.

That said, Indiana is now in a difficult position. It is losing significant talent after next year. It likely won't have enough talent within the program to stay at the top of the conference. Recruits also might rightly question if they will have a chance to develop at Indiana. This move could put Indiana into a loop where it relies on the portal to stay competitive. Rutgers was in a similar position and crashed and burned badly last year.

Elisa Pinzan (5'8'', PG, Italy) grad xferring from South Florida to Maryland. Very intriguing addition to the Terps.

Maryland did just get two additional commits for the next season. Both were top 100 recruits that originally committed to Texas A&M but then the head coach Gary Blair retired.

I have no inside info, but if ISU is helping Aubrey find another school, I might think it's the coach's decision.

Reactions: HAWKS4LIFE
More likely it might be that your older sister is one of the greats of our programs history and we would still like to get little sis so let’s make this cordial and work together to find you a good home.

Why would it be more likely? Coaches do that regularly but not always.

I doubt we'll get the full story on the Joens girl, but it's beyond odd to move on with your older sis still there and your younger sis coming in.

Legal matter?

And the head case HC at ISU is probably walking a "fine line" in dealing with the family considering the rest of the family.

Just happy Iowa won't be her landing spot.

Last edited:
I doubt we'll get the full story on the Joens girl, but it's beyond odd to move on with your older sis still there and your younger sis coming in.

Legal matter?

And the head case HC at ISU is probably walking a "fine line" in dealing with the family considering the rest of the family.

Just happy Iowa won't be her landing spot.

Legal matter?

Do you think it is worse than Caitlin Clark’s off court issues?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT