ADVERTISEMENT

wealth needs to be redistributed maybe a little

You could drive an 18-wheeler through the loopholes back in the very high marginal rate days. The 1986 tax reform lowered the marginal rate significantly, but also closed a lot of loopholes. There are still loopholes. The problem is that politicians want loopholes. They like to use the tax law to reward, punish, and incentivize certain behaviors. It would be a much better system if it were just a straight-forward system to pay for what is needed.
You won't find me disagreeing with any of the above.

It's a system engineered to benefit certain folks while giving others lip service. On top of that, top notch tax accountants will always find ways to manipulate the rules and create loopholes where none were intended, as suchtax policy has to continuously be updated to thwart these avoidance techniques rather than folks applauding the 'ingenuity' of tax dodgers.

Reactions: Gonolz
It’s not the same. The complaint was if you give the poor cash they will waste it and never get ahead. We aren’t giving cash. Giving them goods and services that demonstrably does improve their lot solves that objection.
Of course it is the same, you don't want people held accountable for their actions. Which is understandable based on your viewpoint.
Giving them something is honorable, but, it teaches them nothing and then they become dependent. Health Care is one that I am starting to agree with you on.
It is interesting looking at members of my family. To your point, if I gave a few of them $50,000, they would have it spent by the end of the month. Others would utilize it wisely. Not difficult to determine which family members are more successful.

and housing, food, and cash. Don't forget the cash.
It’s proper when thinking through large concepts to focus on the large details and not get distracted with minor details that don’t change the big picture. So you’re wrong, forget the cash as cash transfers are not a significant amount of redistribution in America. It’s just another dodge or a surrender to my brilliance.

Of course it is the same, you don't want people held accountable for their actions. Which is understandable based on your viewpoint.
Giving them something is honorable, but, it teaches them nothing and then they become dependent. Health Care is one that I am starting to agree with you on.
It is interesting looking at members of my family. To your point, if I gave a few of them $50,000, they would have it spent by the end of the month. Others would utilize it wisely. Not difficult to determine which family members are more successful.
Subsidizing tuition at Iowa is the redistribution I’m talking about. Healthcare is as well. That hardly destroys the virtue of responsibility. Keep thinking and stop overreacting. You’ll come around because I’m right.

It’s proper when thinking through large concepts to focus on the large details and not get distracted with minor details that don’t change the big picture. So you’re wrong, forget the cash as cash transfers are not a significant amount of redistribution in America. It’s just another dodge or a surrender to my brilliance.

The earned income tax credit is basically cash for poor people through the tax system, and only one component of cash redistribution. In 2012 the amount claimed was $65 billion. That is more than 10 times as much as the D.C. douchebags are fighting over for the wall.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deducti...ax-credit/earned-income-tax-credit-statistics

Subsidizing tuition at Iowa is the redistribution I’m talking about. Healthcare is as well. That hardly destroys the virtue of responsibility. Keep thinking and stop overreacting. You’ll come around because I’m right.
Not really, but, I am sure that is how you think. Time to put you on ignore as well

That’s not a good solution but then it’s not one we consider much either. The money isn’t transferred to the poor in cash. It’s transferred in goods and services like healthcare, clean water, infrastructure, schools, courts, police etc.

I admire your determination and ability to completely ignore facts that prove you wrong and still deflect and argue until you are blue in the face. You are special.
I am special. I defined my terms. It’s not incumbent on me to defend things I’m not advocating. Take that up with some advocate of the status quo.

I am special. I defined my terms. It’s not incumbent on me to defend things I’m not advocating. Take that up with some advocate of the status quo.

You and Trump argue in similar manners. My point is made. I will let you have your wall.

natural- You are something special. Im glad you know everything and your opinion is fact. But let me say this: If college if free to all and a 4 year degree is pretty worthless right now, then how will it help if everyone had a worthless degree? How are universities gonna handle 205K students? As I stated above, you cant force people to go to college. There are already plenty of means to go to college that require a little work.

You and Trump argue in similar manners. My point is made. I will let you have your wall.
No, my error was one of omission as it wasn’t part of my argument. Your error was one of dishonesty as you attempt to misrepresent my position. Not a good look for you my special friend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT