ADVERTISEMENT

What if all the vast wealth suddenly got distributed evenly among everyone?

The people who are rich now would end up rich 6 months after the wealth was distributed. Everyone who is poor now would have a bunch of stuff they don't need and very little cash. With rare exception.

I must admit, I have my music loud on the bike, but it must be. I hear them going by a lot, depending on where I am.
Just an FYI; when you ride around on your motorcycle with your music blaring super loud, you are twice as annoying as the other people riding their motorcycles and everybody you see hates you.

Just an FYI; when you ride around on your motorcycle with your music blaring super loud, you are twice as annoying as the other people riding their motorcycles and everybody you see hates you.
Yeppers!
Happy Season 9 GIF by The Office

Imagine if all the vast wealth accumulated by the top fraction of society suddenly got distributed evenly among everyone.

What would honestly happen? Sure, there'd be fewer billionaires and more comfortable folks, but how would it all function? Who'd be left to do the not-so-glamorous gigs? Who'd pick up our trash if no one needed to do it for a paycheck? Shows like The Orville toss around the idea of a money-less society where everyone's working for the greater good. But seriously, how does that even function?

Spreading the wealth might give everyone a fair shot at a better life, but would it really work without incentive? How long could it last? Who will do the grunt work? What about entrepreneurs and innovators? Would they still bother if there's no jackpot waiting at the end? Maybe we'd figure it out, get all altruistic and stuff, but it would completely upend society as we know it.

What say you men and women of GIAOT?
Very simple. Smart, sometimes thuggish, and in some cases devious people would find ways to have stupider, meek, and more naiive people give them their share of said redistributed wealth. This is not actually that hard.

What if that wealth was sustained and not a one time cash influx, e.g., everyone adult America now gets $500k equally? ...or something tiered:

18-28 = $150k per year
29-38 = $200k per year

...and so on.

How would that screw us?

What if that wealth was sustained and not a one time cash influx, e.g., everyone adult America now gets $500k equally? ...or something tiered:

18-28 = $150k per year
29-38 = $200k per year

...and so on.

How would that screw us?
Who would work if they were paid to do nothing? Where is the money coming from?

Reactions: nck24
It would not provide enough money for the young to stop working. I think if you split up all the wealth evenly among every person each person it would be somewhere around $400,000 per person. That includes children. If you took children out of it than it would be closer to $600,000 per adult.

Now remember with that money you need to buy all of your major assets including a home and vehicles.

Biggest issue I see is that home prices would skyrocket even more because suddenly all the people that were stuck renting because they couldn't afford a home would want to buy one.
Lazy people will be lazy. When they blow through that money you don’t think we would be back in a welfare state supporting the same people and probably more. It could be the dumbest thing anyone could think was a good idea.

Imagine if all the vast wealth accumulated by the top fraction of society suddenly got distributed evenly among everyone.
In a few years the less astute would spend the last of their windfall and you’d see more or less the same distribution of wealth.

In a few years the less astute would spend the last of their windfall and you’d see more or less the same distribution of wealth.
‘Cause that’s what happened to all the people who took advantage of FHA loans and the GI Bill to become wealthy. They squandered it all before their kids had the chance to benefit. Brilliant stuff. Really.

‘Cause that’s what happened to all the people who took advantage of FHA loans and the GI Bill to become wealthy. They squandered it all before their kids had the chance to benefit. Brilliant stuff. Really.
Maybe you misunderstood the scenario.
You can sell Tesla stock gifted to you in this scheme and buy some sweet rims, harder to do that with the GI Bill or an FHA loan.

What would honestly happen? Sure, there'd be fewer billionaires and more comfortable folks, but how would it all function? Who'd be left to do the not-so-glamorous gigs? Who'd pick up our trash if no one needed to do it for a paycheck? Shows like The Orville toss around the idea of a money-less society where everyone's working for the greater good. But seriously, how does that even function?

Spreading the wealth might give everyone a fair shot at a better life, but would it really work without incentive? How long could it last? Who will do the grunt work? What about entrepreneurs and innovators? Would they still bother if there's no jackpot waiting at the end? Maybe we'd figure it out, get all altruistic and stuff, but it would completely upend society as we know it.

They're already running away from the grunt work jobs without the free money............

18-28 = $150k per year
29-38 = $200k per year

...and so on.

How would that screw us?

Assuming that the requirement that you work full time for that money that is what would cause more problems with having "garbage men" There would have to be some other incentive for people to take the undesirable jobs. Possibly more vacation time or some other benefit.

It would be interesting if everyone was paid the same it would I think oddly reverse how jobs are looked at. The jobs that just every day sucked to be such as hard or dirty manual labor at would probably have to offer the most vacation time.

You would also find it pretty much impossible to get people to work more than 40 hours a week too.

On the plus side a lot of people would exit the workforce and just let their spouse care for the family.

Lazy people will be lazy. When they blow through that money you don’t think we would be back in a welfare state supporting the same people and probably more. It could be the dumbest thing anyone could think was a good idea.

Maybe but I don't think that is a very large number of people. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't think a lot of people are going to get 400,000 and think that is going to last them the rest of their lives. Especially when they would have to buy a home with that.

Now if we took the best case senario and say a married couple and we gave it only to adults so it would be like 600,000. So the married couple combined would get 1.2 million. They could theoretically get a house, some not very expensive vehicles and live on the interest from the remainder for the rest of their life without paid employment. That's if all prices remained the same and they were financially disciplined.

Reactions: nelly02

What if? That's the goal of you dirty marxists everywhere! Do you really think anyone is going work their ass off for their just rewards while jo dishwasher who sits on HROT night and same receives the same?

What if? That's the goal of you dirty marxists everywhere! Do you really think anyone is going work their ass off for their just rewards while jo dishwasher who sits on HROT night and same receives the same?

Interesting the person posting on HROT complains about lazy people posing on HROT.

Gotta love all the idiots in this thread who think poor people are so much dumber then rich people.
Quite the contrary. There's no reason to believe there wouldn't be a relatively random distribution of intelligence among economic levels, but that won't stop the smart/thuggish/devious ones from taking from the stupid/meek/naiive ones, and we'll be right back to an unequally distributed economic pie before you can say unequally distributed economic pie.

Within 50 years we would be back where we are now. Some people are too stupid to have money.
Less, I'd say 3-5 years tops.
The current poors don't have the understanding of saving, investing, smart money management and 90% of them would blow their gains quickly.
Skilled but low educated lower middle class would likely settle in where they've always known as well.
Middle class workers without the motivation, skills or knowledge of how to do more would settle back in to their 9-5 roles and pay relatively quickly.
Upper middle class folks who grinded their way to where they are now would most negatively affected by a reset.
People who've been entrepreneurs and business owners would know what it takes and likely have no trouble doing it again assuming they had to start over.
The elites would have a scheme to hide their wealth like they always have so this wouldnt effect them anyway ;).

Reactions: Rifler
The problem is that there is too large of a percent of people who simply dont know how to do money math. They dont know how much is enough to quit their job, save for retirement, save for basic life needs, save for property tax/rent, save for taxes, save for health care, save for long term care...the list goes on and on. America isnt savers. Too many people would quit working without enough money and have no clue to budget what they have. You would have a massive problem with a exodus from the workforce (like with COVID) and then a huge problem a few years later when the money is gone, society has adapted to go on without them and they have nowhere to turn.

I have gone back and forth in the notions of wealth transfer. First, I’m a die hard capitalist; while it ain’t perfect, capitalism is the most efficient economic system we have developed to-date. Having said that many trust fund babies have done nothing to deserve the wealth they inherit and we have so many loopholes that allow the truly wealthy to avoid paying the same tax rates as middle class that this escalates the problem. So while I don’t like the idea of a total wealth transfer I do think we should address the situation in some way.

I used to think we should dramatically increase the inheritance tax, but I’m convinced there is a better way. What I would do instead is:
  • Flatten the tax code with the only deduction being for dependents (and not embryos for Alabama residents). Same rate for capital gains as normal income. I would be ok setting a threshold of the first $XK where there is a much smaller tax rate for those truly at a subsistence level. But that’s it - one step up from a low rate to a moderate rate most of us would pay.
  • Anytime there is a wealth transfer of cash it is treated as income and taxed at the normal income rate. You give a non-dependent $5K for Christmas, it’s income to them.
  • Anytime there is a wealth transfer other than cash (family farm handed down, business given to the kids, etc) the transfer comes in with a notional value of $0.00. This ensures when those entities are sold you pay tax on all the capital gains at the one prevailing tax rate - no ability to dodge it, hide it, etc.
This is the simplest mechanism I can see to ensure the wealthy can’t dodge taxes and allow for some redistribution without simply taking it from people. This allows farmers to continue to farm, small businesses to stay in the family, etc.
Isnt the premise of the OP that you give everyone money that they dont deserve to being with? you are not wrong, but in this context, you are taking money from people and giving it to others that it doesnt belong to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT